LightScribe good?

Hi all,
There is a thread in the media section where people are having such a success using LightScribe that they are looking for improved media. (Namely Dual Layer) I thought it was a good place to ask what burner they were using, considering I’ve had 3 take a dump. It was considered “Off Topic” there so I’ll give it a shot here until I get a feel for the forums.

Is anyone using a LightScibe burner for more than a couple hundred discs? My first burner did 4, the 2nd, a ASUS 1612BL did about a dozen, and the last one, a ASUS 1814BL, lasted about 60 discs. Seems to me the technology isn’t very successful. Or am I that unlucky? Anyone have one that is still working?

LightScribe drives use their lasers to label discs, and the length of time to record a label is almost as long as recording a DL disc at 2.4X. That means the laser diode is doing double duty: recording and labeling. That will wear out a laser diode sooner than recording alone.

Hello wilhelm,

I realized that before purchasing the 1st LS burner, that’s obvious. LOL My OEM, non LS burner, lasted 5 years, so I wasn’t too concerned about the LS burner only being around for maybe 2 years.
Oddly enough since my post I did a couple more burns without a problem. Hopefully just a “hick-up”.
Really was just wondering if others were having problems with longevity. Also need advice on a second burner which I’ll put in another post.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Appreciate the input.

[QUOTE=skoville;1916430] Is anyone using a LightScibe burner for more than a couple hundred discs? My first burner did 4, the 2nd, a ASUS 1612BL did about a dozen, and the last one, a ASUS 1814BL, lasted about 60 discs. Seems to me the technology isn’t very successful. Or am I that unlucky? Anyone have one that is still working?[/QUOTE]
I’ve done close to 100 LS DVDs with my Samsung SH-182M in “high-quality” mode without any problems. I’ve also done around 75 non-LS regular DVDs with it. It’s a great burner, and at $39 from my local OEM store, if it dies tomorrow it won’t be a big issue replacing it.

Glad to hear it, Les. I think I just had a bogus start. Really happy with the ASUS, about the same quantity and not one coaster.