Lightscribe CD-Rs in Car CD player

vbimport

Currently, the only CD-R that will play in my Alpine CD player are the lightscribe CD-Rs made by Verbatim that I buy at Walmart. I bought a pack of white inkjet printable CD-Rs by Verbatim from Sam’s Club and I cannot get any of them to play. My Taiyo Yuden silver inkjet printable CD-Rs that I bought off of Shop4Tech used to work but now they don’t anymore. What is up with that? Why would the lightscribe CD-Rs from Verbatim work but not their inkjet printable ones? By the way, when I mean they won’t play, I get an ERROR text message readout on the car CD player.

Car CD players can be very picky. It could be a slight deterioration in quality that will cause the discs not to be recognised or simply an incompatibility between the discs and the players.

Unfortunately there is very little you can do to find out other than test discs out yourself.

Luckily my Alpine car CD player reads everything pretty well. Haven’t had a problem with Ritek 97m15s17f CD-Rs, and they were pretty cheap for me at Office Depot. Maybe you’d have luck with a pack of those when they go on sale. They’re the Office Depot brand 50 packs. Think my pack was like $7.20.

Clean the laser in the car player.

Yeah. Always a good idea to do this actually.

Good idea, I have not done that in about a year or so. But wouldn’t you normally think that dirty laser would affect the playing of any CD not just the ones I make? Every music CD that I buy, Evil Or Divine by Ronnie James Dio was the last one I bought, plays fine, no skips, no errors…nothing! Which brings me to another question ,which no one really responded to that I posted here some time ago,…why do all retail CDs play flawlessly, everytime, all of the time? Well, I did have one Tesla CD that skipped all over the place, but 1 out of 1,000 or so that I have bought since 1996 is not bad odds, compared with the 100’s of CD-Rs that have not played.

Retail CDs are different from the CD-R discs you burn. Retail CDs represent te original standard, they are molded, stampered and not burned, therefore the compatibility rate is much higher, especially in a picky player. The reflection and other optical attributes of the CD-R is differing from the retail manufactured compact disc, this is why the first generation CD players were not compatible with home burned discs at all. If your player become dirty, dusty, the first sign could be the poblematic CD-R playback, but later on the playback of the original CDs can be problematic as well.