LightScribe CD-ROMs?

Hi Fellow Members,

I use a Dual 1 GHz PowerPC G4 (QuickSilver 2002), with 1.5 GB SDRAM; I run Mac OS X 10.5.8 Leopard.

I would like to burn the latest TechToolPro 4.6.2/Update (techtool_pro_462_installer.dmg) onto a LightScribe CD-ROM.

I would also like to burn the latest (DiskWarrior4.4DiscUpdate.dmg) onto a LightScribe CD-ROM.

1. How do I do it?
  2. What size LightScribe CD-ROM should I use?
  3. Which LightScribe Brand should I use?
    :confused:

LightScribe CD-ROM does not exist, never existed.

Lightscrive [B]CD-R[/B] does!

Thank you very much, chef for your reply to my issue. I now know that LightScribe only comes in DVDs.

Have you read the wiki??

“LightScribe is an optical disc recording technology that uses specially coated [B]recordable CD and DVD media[/B]”

Thanks, chef! I just bought a 10-pack of Verbatum DVD+R (DVD-5). Because of the drawbacks listed in wiki, do you think I should send them back and ask for a refund? I do have an inkjet printer that can print on DVDs and CDs.

I’ve never seen a Lightscribe ‘print’ that outdoes our Epson or HP inkjet prints UNLESS I take the disks into the shower or dishwasher! That’s one advantage that Lightscribe has - they are far more washable than inkjets!

For any artwork, or for the most readable text, inkjet printing on disks has appeared far better than Lightscribes.

Lightscribe has one superior use - if I’m in the field and need to burn and label an optical disk, Lightscribe lets me do that with my notebook. No lugging printers around, no “I’ll send you this copy when I get it back to the office and printed” comments. That, and the washability. Of course, by not using CDs or DVDs as peanut butter spreaders, I don’t have to wash those too often.

Thanks, ChristineBCW. I also have an Epson inkjet that prints on DVDs and CDs. I think I’ll use the inkjet instead of the LightScribe DVDs and CDs.

I don’t know if they’re worth ‘sending back for refund’ - you might try them out and you might find an application or a printing-technique that’s perfect for them. I don’t care for the ‘readability factor’ - it’s never going to be as high contrast as Black Text on White or Silver Background, of course. I played around with them and tried “4 color” options (density of dots) and it wasn’t bad. And for a quick, mobile print task, it’s handy.

Are all brands of DVD+R discs able to be inkjet printed?

No.

There are three basic surfaces: non-printables, inkjet printables and thermal printables.

Non-printables disks using a variety of ‘descriptive’ terms - “shiny” or sometimes “branded”. These will be similar to those avaiable on retail shelves.

Inkjet Printables will use that term (“ink jet” or “inkjet printable”) specifically. You may also see “Ink Jet Hub Printable” which means the full-disk’s surface - to the inner hole. You may also see “glossy”, “wide sputter” - but those will appear after “ink jet”. It’s easy to confuse “glossy” with “shiny” but those are two different surfaces.

You will also see “thermal” or “thermal printable”, which use thermal printers, not inkjets.

Thanks, ChristineBCW!! There is certainly a lot to learn about DVDs and CDs.

I forgot to ask: which DVDs should I use? I use a PowerPC Mac. Should I use: DVD+R or DVD-R?

Depends on your preference and your burner mostly. These days DVD-R or DVD+R should be irrelevant…

Oops, I lost this thread. Thanks, Chef, for bringing it back. Hopefully, Ang has made decisions by this time.

I think the consensus opinion agrees with Chef - “no significant difference” in PLUS or MINUS R disks. Some folks argue that the PLUS R research and manufacturing is giving those disks better lifespan because of better component-chemistry.

(A multi-session recording - “I burn some files on this PLUS R disk today, then I set it aside, and next week, I add another set of files to that same disk, filling it up with several ‘burn’ sessions.” Like a floppy disk, therefore.)

Originally, PLUS R’s suffered from a reputation of incompatibility - “I burned two sessions onto this PLUS R disk, but my other computer can’t read it. The burning computer can, but this second computer can’t.”

This “incompatibility” might have been the Burner, it might have been the Disk, or it might have been the Software Version OR the User’s knowledge of what he was doing.

The end result was the same, though, and PLUS R’s didn’t get a huge acceptance. And there were a lot of 1st-Generation TV DVD Players that didn’t recognize PLUS R disks - which were indeed ‘2nd generation’ media.

I think it would be tough to find a working 1st-Generation TV-DVD Player now that didn’t ‘see’ PLUS R disks properly, though.

If I had questions about my own equipments’ compatibility, I’d buy a 10-pack of PLUS and MINUS disks, and see if there was any Play-Read compatbility issues across any disk-reader I could find. It won’t make much difference to the burners in a PowerMac.

Ang, and if you do come back to visit, be aware there are two other issues about Optical Media that are subject of battles here in this forum:

(1) Longevity of a burned disk

and

(2) To Scan Or Not To Scan.

These are cans o’ worms to open up at your leisure. This site has made me pay more attention to purchasing a more expensive DVD Blank because, at twice the price per disk, I believe I am getting far more than ‘twice the lifespan’ of a disk’s natural deterioration. Yes. They do deteriorate.

As for Scan vs Not, that’s not a can o’ worms. That’s a hornet’s nest. An ant-hill. Stake yourself to it when you choose! ha ha

As I have been led to understaand it:

DVD+R discs are slightly less prone to tracking errors and are often able to read data even if the drive has a racking error on a particular disc.

The reson for this is that location data is part of the tracking groove on +R discs

Location data on DVD-R disc is actually recorded in data space.

Another issue is that if the discs are used in “multi-session” -R discs
waste space on “Session finalization”. DVD+R discs do not use "finalization"
either on the session or disc. this also results in their being slightly faster to
write to.

Best discs to write to as “Archive Discs” Verbatim “Force Shield” discs, thes use the same plastic material as BluRay discs for it’s superior scratch resistance as well as a more stable dye.

for me a sharpie marker has always been “Good enough” for marking discs, but if you want your discs “pretty” get inkjet printable discs and an inkjet printer to print them.

AD

I chose DVD+R. Thank you, chef, ChristineBCW, and AllanDeGroot, for your input!