Lightscribe Burner Drive lifespan?

vbimport

How long is the lifespan of lightscribe burner drive, compares to non-lightscribe burner drive, assuming each disc burned is fully lightscribed?

Hi :slight_smile:
Welcome onboard techolder. :iagree: :clap:
Different lasers are used.
However in sense the disc is burnt twice & that will have some effect on things.
I suspect this would be marginal though.

[quote=zebadee;2011432]Hi :slight_smile:
Welcome onboard techolder. :iagree: :clap:
Different lasers are used.
However in sense the disc is burnt twice & that will have some effect on things.
I suspect this would be marginal though.[/quote]

Hi!

So, it use different laser.
But it use same spindle motor, head servo motor, and other components.
That would halves the components lifespan, unless it use more durable components.

Having had a good look at the internals of the Samsung 203B non-LS & compared with the 203N LS version.
They were differences relating to damper/spindle etc.
Given the overall build quality these days, the life of a drive isn’t that great.
So I still wouldn’t expect to see a massive difference in the life of a LS drive when compared to a non LS one.

Well, I was expecting more durable hardware, so I would buy LS burner but not using the LS feature!:bigsmile:

Thanks!

You’re welcome. :iagree:

What lifespan do you expect from a 30$ burner?

If it breaks after the warranty period, just buy a new and better one.

@ techolder,

All DVD Burner manufactures provide the MTBF (Mean Time Before Failure) expressed in POH (Power On Hours) of their products.

You need to refer to the particular LightScribe DVD Burner manufacturer and review the particular LightScribe Drive Specification where the MTBF (Mean Time Before Failure) is provided for the particular Drive.

A short PCWorld article concerning DVD Burner Life Span ->

Your logic appears to be flawed. It doesn’t make much sense paying the extra expense for a LightScribe DVD Burner if in an effort to extend the DVD Burner lifetime you don’t intend to use the LightScribe function. It would be cheaper to purchase a non-LightScribe DVD Burner if you don’t have intention of burning LightScribe Labels.

Regards,
bjkg

My lightscribe burner only lasted me just under 1 year to lightscribe dvds. I can still lightscribe cds and make copies.

[QUOTE=EKMurakami;2479495]My lightscribe burner only lasted me just under 1 year to lightscribe dvds. I can still lightscribe cds and make copies.[/QUOTE]

I believe that the lightscribe side of the disk is identical for CDs and DVDs, so if you can still print CDs you should be able to print DVDs. The data side is a different matter…

Slainte

midders

Hi.

I’m pretty sure too that the surface of the lightscribe dvd and lightscribe cd should be the same.

What I have done one time is lightscribe the dvd first then copy the movie. That worked several times.

I don’t know what it is.

I keep thinking it’s the laser. When I got my first lightscribe burner it used to lightscribe really dark but now it’s not lightscribing as dark as it used to. The lightscribe is now 50% dark. When I lightscribe the disk again then it will look okay.

Thank you for your help.