Liggy & Dee's Sony AW-G170A Modified Firmware 1.S2 Results & Support Thread

LDG170 1.S2 (Liggy & Dee Sony AW-G170A firmware)

Two Versions available
Version Release Date 12/10/2006
Binflash + LDG170 1.S2 Original Firmware
Binflash + LDG170 1.S2 RPC1 Firmware
The firmware packages can be used with Windows, DOS, Linux or MAC. (see minifaq)

NOTE
Special FLASHING instructions.

Boot your PC into Windows Safe Mode before attempting to flash. Trying to flash when in normal Windows XP mode may result in a checksum error.

Please make sure you read the documentation included in the package.

Visit our website for all the latest firmware news

NOTES
LDG170 1.S2 Orig
Media speedups, strategy tweaks, full bitsetting.

LDG170 1.S2 RPC1
RPC1, media speedups, strategy tweaks, full bitsetting.

The Sony AW-G170A is not RIPLOCKED, so pressed DVD-VIDEO discs will RIP at 16x SL and 12x DL

Change log
1.S2
Added OPTODISC008 -R media at 12x
Improved the write quality of the following media.
YUDEN000T03
RICOH JPNR03
MCC03RG20
TYG03

1.S1
All new firmware

LD Firmware Mini FAQ

Q: Which firmware is this firmware based on?
A: This firmware is based on 1.71 Bitsetting firmware with version and name string changed to 1.S2.

Q: How do i flash my drive with this firmware?
A: The firmware is now bundled with Liggys Binflash Unzip then run the package, now click on the FLASH button. The firmware will now be uploaded onto your drive, when completed you will be prompted to restart your PC.

To Flash a drive in DOS, LINUX or MAC. Use a current version of Binflash. Run Binflash with the commands necessary to load the firmware package. Binflash will accept either a .BIN or a .EXE file and flash your drive.

Q: What are the risks of flashing my drive with this firmware?
A: Great care has been taken to make sure your drive is not damaged in any way by using this firmware. However, you flash your drive with this firmware at your own risk. Neither I, Liggy, or cdfreaks will be held responsible if your drive or media is damaged in any way.

Q: Will flashing my drive with this firmware void my guarantee?
A: Yes, flashing your drive with any unofficial firmware will null your guarantee. If something should go wrong with your drive, you should buy a new one and not RMA the drive.

Q: Do I need special IDE drivers when running this firmware on my drive?
A Like all optical drives. It has been proven they work best when using Microsoft’s default IDE drivers. This is a must for this firmware.

Q: Why do i not get good results when i burn media on the modified media list at MAX speed?
A: This is largely down to the quality of your media. If the speedups don’t give you good results. Set the burn speed lower. This firmware will give good results at the stated stock firmware speed, without having to flash back to a stock firmware.

Q: What about media not on the modified media list?
A: All media both SL and DL not listed in the modified media table use the default NEC STOCK write strategies and speeds. If you don’t get the results you expect with media not in the modified list, this is a limitation of the media or drive, not this firmware.

Q: How do i set SL bitsetting for +R media?
A: Use CD Speed or WinBtype to set booktype to DVD-ROM This setting is remembered by the drive and only needs set once. Make sure no disc is in the drive.

Q: How do i use DL +R bitsetting?
A: Use CD Speed or WinBtype to set booktype to DVD-ROM This setting is remembered by the drive and only needs set once. Make sure no disc is in the drive.

Q: How do i use DVD+RW bitsetting?

Note

Q: Does this firmware support the LabelFlash labelling system?
A No

Submitting test results
Please state the LD firmware version used for the burn, the media type (MID code) and the burn speed.

If possible burn a disc with NERO CD-DVD Speed (create data disc) and save the burn screenshot by clicking on the disc icon at the top of the window.

Also submit a (data transfer test) using a NEC or Optiarc 16x drive.

Disc Quality scans can be submitted with NEC Drives using CD-Speed with scan speed set at 5X or 8X
Note Version 3.75 or higher is required for PI/PIF scanning on the NEC drives.

Below is some additional info from the author of CD-Speed.

(Liteon drives) using K-Probe @4X scan speed or CD-DVD Speed (disc quality) @4X scan speed.

If scanning with a Benq drive. use CD-DVD Speed (disc Quality) @8X scan speed.

DOWNLOAD LINKS
NOTE We do not allow offsite linking to these files. You may also have to temporarily switch off any firewall or similar software you are running.

All our firmwares for all NEC series drives are now stored on our new website

Note
We do NOT offer support for previous versions

PS: Before posting in this thread, please read the documentation supplied

Media Speedups
DVD-R
Ritek G04 8x
SONY04D1 8x
Ritek M02 8x
MXL RG02 8x
FUJIFILM02 8x
Prodisc S03 8x
CMC MAG Ae1 12x
Daxon 016S 18x
Daxon 016 18x
CMC MAG AM3 18x
MBI 01RG40 18x
Prodisc S05 18x
RITEK F1 18x
RITEK M16 18x
OPTODISC 008 12x

DVD+R
Yuden 000T02 18x
Ricoh JPNR03 18x
CMC MAG M01 18x
Prodisc R04 18x
MBI PG101R05 18x
Prodisc R05 18x
Daxon AZ3 18x
Ritek P16 18x
MCC003 12x
Prodisc R02 8x
MBIPG101R04 12x
CMC MAG E01 12x
Maxell 002 12x

Thanks Dee and Liggy for this firmware :bow:

[B]Version 1.S2 released.[/B]
For full details read the included documentation or read the first post in this thread.

You can grab it [B]here[/B]

cheers ill try this cos my drive came this morning and the results are genuinely crap.

The drive may be faulty though as the LED flashes on and off regularly when burning and it isn’t in sync with the power calibration.

I think we can say the drive is not a good one.

Does it show any errors while doing a TRT?
NECs aren’t good scanners. But if you can confirm that on a LiteOn or BenQ or Samsung, then your drive is broken and you should exchange it.

The LED activity makes me think its stuffed, i have just flashed back to the original firmware and the errors are as bad :frowning:

Ill do a transfer rate test and see what it says

the TRT and scan disc results are fine though, maybe its just a very crap scanner indeed.

Thanks BTW, i should have looked around for other peoples scans using the same hardware rather than stressing. I guess the drive is fine.

flashing the drive to a 7170a the led stays constant when burning which somehow gives me more confidence in it lol

Possibly… TRT on a different drive is more useful to know if the burnt disc is potentially problematic.

The review of Optiarc AD-7170A in cdrinfo showed comparison between TRT on the Optiarc AD-7170A itself and how a professional DaTARIUS analyzer viewed the discs burnt by the drive. A lot of disagreement between the 2 :eek: :confused: which makes me conclude that the Optiarc drive must have very tolerant reading capabilities (which is not necessarily good feature if you want to know if the discs it burns are going to work on a wide range of drives.)

i did a TRT on a 3 year old liteon 165 DVD-ROM drive and it was fine but i am still not convinced everything is ok.

What speed does the 165 drive reach?, I only trust flawless TRT at 16x, anything slower can give a false indication of potential problems.

it got to 8x but its only ever got to 8x on DVD recordables.

i have just tried it on another new liteon DVD-ROM drive and again the TFT test was perfect, given the errors on the scan if it was correct the disc would not even work i would have thought. It seems to me something is wrong with lots of drives in this series.

For what it is worth this is the TFT of the above disc done in the new liteon dvd-rom on another PC

Hmmm, speed only reaches approx 8x. Is it possible for you to run the TRT test on another drive which is capable of reading recordable discs at 16x?

on the web site http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/7170/ there are two kind of mod fw:

• Dee’s AWG170 1.S2
  • Liggy Bitsettings AWG-170 fwe 1.71

What are the main differences (inthe title you said Dee & Liggy fw) ?

What are the main differences between AD-7170 (Nec) & AWG-7170 (Sony) ?

About your site can I suggest to reorder the list of fw based on model and withh all fw for same model line by line ?

Current view

Dee’s AD7170 1.O3 Modified Firmware
Dee’s AW-G170 1.S2 Modified Firmware
Dee’s AD7173 1-O2 Modified Firmware
Dee’s AD7170 1.O2 Modified Firmware
Dee’s AW-G170 1.S1 Modified Firmware
Dee’s AD7173 1.O1 Modified Firmware
Liggy’s AD7170 Bitsetting Firmware 1.02
Liggy’s AW-G170 Bitsetting Firmware 1.71
Liggy’s AD7173 Bitsetting Firmware 1-01
Original Optiarc AD7170A firmware 1.02
Original Sony AW-G170A firmware 1.71
Original Optiarc AD7173A firmware 1-01

My prosal

AD7170 Dee’s 1.O3 Modified Firmware
AD7170 Liggy’s Bitsetting Firmware 1.02
AD7170 Original Optiarc firmware 1.02

AD7173 Dee’s 1.O2 Modified Firmware
AD7173 Liggy’s Bitsetting Firmware 1-01
AD7173 Original Optiarc firmware 1-01

AW-G170 Dee’s 1.S2 Modified Firmware
AW-G170 Liggy’s Bitsetting Firmware 1.71
AW-G170 Original Sony firmware 1.71

With a blank separation bw each drive unit fw block; in this way it’s more clear for which model & which fw is.

I checked that writing strategies version are equal for all fw.

Are availble two revision (0.2 & O2 / 1.S1 & 1.S2) of same fw. Is it right ? It’s better to have only latest version.

All things that I proposed probably help a lot of user to have a clear idea about fw availability.

Yeah but that is in my PC and it is another NEC burner, using that it get to 16x and the curve is again sweet as a nut. Given the disc shows 245 million errors there is no chance it would even play let alone give a smooth curve.

Ill flash it back to a Sony drive and try a verb in it.

MCC004 burnt at 16x