Liggy & Dee's Optiarc AD-7173A Modified Firmware 1-O3 Results & Support Thread

LD7173 1-O3 (Liggy & Dee Optiarc AD-7173A firmware)

Two Versions available
Version Release Date 03/03/2007
Binflash + LD7173 1-O3 Original Firmware
Binflash + LD7173 1-O3 RPC1 Firmware
The firmware packages can be used with Windows, DOS, Linux or MAC. (see minifaq)

NOTE
Special FLASHING instructions.

Boot your PC into Windows Safe Mode before attempting to flash. Trying to flash when in normal Windows XP mode may result in a checksum error.

Please make sure you read the documentation included in the package.

Visit our website for all the latest firmware news

NOTES
LD7173 1-O3 Orig
Media speedups, strategy tweaks, full bitsetting.

LD7173 1-O3 RPC1
RPC1, media speedups, strategy tweaks, full bitsetting.

The AD-7173A is not RIPLOCKED, so pressed DVD-VIDEO discs will RIP at 16x SL and 12x DL

Change log
1-O3
All new firmware based on Liggy’s 1-02bt bitsetting

1-O2
Added OPTODISC008 -R media at 12x
Improved the write quality of the following media.
YUDEN000T03
RICOH JPNR03
MCC03RG20
TYG03

1-O1
All new firmware

LD Firmware Mini FAQ

Q: Which NEC firmware is this firmware based on?
A: This firmware is based on 1-02 Bitsetting firmware with version and name string changed to 1-O3.

Q: How do i flash my drive with this firmware?
A: The firmware is now bundled with Liggys Binflash Unzip then run the package, now click on the FLASH button. The firmware will now be uploaded onto your drive, when completed you will be prompted to restart your PC.

To Flash a drive in DOS, LINUX or MAC. Use a current version of Binflash. Run Binflash with the commands necessary to load the firmware package. Binflash will accept either a .BIN or a .EXE file and flash your drive.

Q: What are the risks of flashing my drive with this firmware?
A: Great care has been taken to make sure your drive is not damaged in any way by using this firmware. However, you flash your drive with this firmware at your own risk. Neither I, Liggy, or cdfreaks will be held responsible if your drive or media is damaged in any way.

Q: Will flashing my drive with this firmware void my guarantee?
A: Yes, flashing your drive with any unofficial firmware will null your guarantee. If something should go wrong with your drive, you should buy a new one and not RMA the drive.

Q: Do I need special IDE drivers when running this firmware on my drive?
A Like all optical drives. It has been proven they work best when using Microsoft’s default IDE drivers. This is a must for this firmware.

Q: Why do i not get good results when i burn media on the modified media list at MAX speed?
A: This is largely down to the quality of your media. If the speedups don’t give you good results. Set the burn speed lower. This firmware will give good results at the stated stock firmware speed, without having to flash back to a stock firmware.

Q: What about media not on the modified media list?
A: All media both SL and DL not listed in the modified media table use the default NEC STOCK write strategies and speeds. If you don’t get the results you expect with media not in the modified list, this is a limitation of the media or drive, not this firmware.

Q: How do i set SL bitsetting for +R media?
A: Use CD Speed or WinBtype to set booktype to DVD-ROM This setting is remembered by the drive and only needs set once. Make sure no disc is in the drive.

Q: How do i use DL +R bitsetting?
A: Use CD Speed or WinBtype to set booktype to DVD-ROM This setting is remembered by the drive and only needs set once. Make sure no disc is in the drive.

Q: How do i use DVD+RW bitsetting?

Note

Q: Does this firmware support the LabelFlash labelling system?
A Yes.

Submitting test results
Please state the LD firmware version used for the burn, the media type (MID code) and the burn speed.

If possible burn a disc with NERO CD-DVD Speed (create data disc) and save the burn screenshot by clicking on the disc icon at the top of the window.

Also submit a (data transfer test) using a NEC or Optiarc 16x drive.

Disc Quality scans can be submitted with NEC Drives using CD-Speed with scan speed set at 5X or 8X
Note Version 3.75 or higher is required for PI/PIF scanning on the NEC drives.

Below is some additional info from the author of CD-Speed.

(Liteon drives) using K-Probe @4X scan speed or CD-DVD Speed (disc quality) @4X scan speed.

If scanning with a Benq drive. use CD-DVD Speed (disc Quality) @8X scan speed.

DOWNLOAD LINKS
NOTE We do not allow offsite linking to these files. You may also have to temporarily switch off any firewall or similar software you are running.

All our firmwares for all NEC series drives are now stored on our new website

Note
We do NOT offer support for previous versions

PS: Before posting in this thread, please read the documentation supplied

Full media list included in the download.

It look’s like i’m the first one here, so let’s start, flashed the drive in safe mode :slight_smile: and burned an e-pro 16x (Prodisc R04) @ 18x, and what can i say :slight_smile: this is a very good burner, and a big thank’s to Dee :flower: & Liggy :clap: .

Great scan [B]vroom[/B], although i’d also like to see a [B]T[/B]ransfer [B]R[/B]ate [B]T[/B]est.
These are excellent drives in my opinion, with very strong optics and a mature chipset and burn engine. They seem to perform better at 18x than any other 18x drive i’ve seen so far (over a wide range of media).
Very promising indeed. :iagree:

How about DL with Verbatims, plus and dash? My 4540 does a more than creditable job with true plus 8x burned at 4x, and a creditable job with plus 2.4x burtned at 4x.

Thanks Dee and Liggy for this firmware :bow:

Thank’s Dee, here is the trt scan.

Thanks. Now i can say it was great burn. :iagree:
As a side note. Transfer Rate Tests are a very important test to submit. It can tell as much about the burn quality as a PI/PIF scan.

@Coconut
We don’t modify DL burn strategies so this is something you would need to test for yourself.

CMC MAG M01 (DataWrite)
Burn Speed 18x
Firmware 1.O1

18x is probably to fast for this media, but worth a try. :slight_smile:

I flashed my 7173 with the 1-01bt_rpc1 firmware in Safe Mode. When I check my drive it looks like it has bitsetting set to DVD-ROM (see pictures). But when I burn a DVD+R it still comes out as a DVD+R and not as DVD-ROM.

Can anybody tell me what I’m doing wrong?

According to your Bitsetting dialogs. it should be working. :confused:

I think you should set both “Temp” & “Flash” settings at “DVD-ROM” or maybe check the “use flash settings” at dvdinfo dialog.

Normally I don’t have problems with bitsetting firmware from Liggy on my other NEC drives. Is it maybe because I first used TDB flasher, the booktype will not work over here? Is there a way to ‘reset’ my drive back to original state again and try again? I hope to here from you, Liggy or TDB.

I already tried with the Reset function under Booktype in Binflash 1.32 to go back to original settings and flash again with booktype firmware but this didn’t work.

It’s just flashing the drive, no special magic there.

Make sure you test the book type on something other than a burner. The book type is only one parameter that identifies the media as recordable, there are other ways to determine this.

Anyway it’s not a flasher issue.

Brother Vlad

I did and every time I get back it’s a DVD+R discs instead of a DVD_ROM disc. With all my former NEC burners there was never a problem. I will test (flash) some more to find the problem. I will let you now. Thanks for now :slight_smile:

After reading the preview, I decided to buy 7173A as a second drive to my system (another being NEC 3500, which has been and still is, a truly wonderful drive). Anyway, been really waiting for your modified firmware. Now that it is installed, I found that the brand I have been using for quite a while (sold as Samsung Pleomax 8X DVD-R, Nero infotool says, it’s Optodiscr008) isn’t boosted on the modified firmware :sad: On my 3500 with your modified FW, it burns at 12X. Any particular reason for this?

That’s 8x +r @18x
Burned with nero7.5.

Have got 101btrpc1 firmware installed on my 7173A.
Though speedups on this media is not in documentation on the firmware,here’s a burn of MCC04 media (Verbatim 16x DVD+R, spindle 25 pcs). The first and second scan images with PlexTools are PIE and then PIF respectively. Note the spike in PIF scanning on Optiarc - maybe it’s just this exact media for it looks like a scratch/dust particle? It doesn’t show up during scans on PX-716 though… funny. Also have image of TR scan of that very disk on Benq 1670 - unlike 7173 it decreases speed at the spike loaction and then doesn’t go over 8x :frowning: , didn’t want to overload post wiht images. Will post at request…

@Klesz,

Did you say that you installed the booktype version of the firmware? If I’m right I see that your burned disc is also DVD+R instead of DVD-ROM.
Can you tell me what your option is in Nero CD-DVD Speed? Check File/Options and then at “User Interface” check which option you have checked at “Disc Info”. Thanks.

It’s set to “Disk Info”. Setting to “Bitsetting” reveals the same info:<FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’>
<TABLE cellpadding=‘0’ cellspacing=‘0’>
<TR><TD><B><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’>Nero CD-DVD Speed: Disc Info</FONT></B></TD><TD></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#505050’><B><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’ color=’#FFFFFF’> Basic Information</FONT></B></TD><TD bgcolor=’#505050’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> </FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#E0E0E0’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> Disc type:</FONT></TD><TD><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> DVD+R</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#E0E0E0’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> Book Type</FONT></TD><TD><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> DVD+R</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#E0E0E0’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> Manufacturer:</FONT></TD><TD><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> Verbatim</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#E0E0E0’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> MID</FONT></TD><TD><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> MCC 004 (000)</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#E0E0E0’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> Write speeds:</FONT></TD><TD><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> 2.4 X - 4 X - 6 X - 8 X - 12 X - 16 X - 18 X</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#E0E0E0’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> Blank Capacity</FONT></TD><TD><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> n/a</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#505050’><B><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’ color=’#FFFFFF’> Extended Information</FONT></B></TD><TD bgcolor=’#505050’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> </FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#E0E0E0’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> Layers</FONT></TD><TD><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> 1</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#E0E0E0’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> Write strategies</FONT></TD><TD><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> 4 X</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#E0E0E0’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> Disc Status</FONT></TD><TD><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> Closed</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#505050’><B><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’ color=’#FFFFFF’> Raw Data</FONT></B></TD><TD bgcolor=’#505050’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> </FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#E0E0E0’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> Physical Format Information (00h)</FONT></TD><TD><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> </FONT></TD></TR>
</TABLE>
</FONT>
<PRE>
0000 - A1 0F 02 00 00 03 00 00 00 25 AE 9F 00 00 00 00 - …%…
0010 - 00 00 07 4D 43 43 00 00 00 00 00 30 30 34 00 38 - …MCC…004.8
0020 - 23 54 37 12 02 54 6C 02 92 5F 15 15 0B 0B 08 08 - #T7…Tl…_…
0030 - 01 19 1B 0C 0C 0C 0D 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - …
0040 - 01 00 38 38 02 2C 5A 1A 05 2E 23 10 04 1E 1D 01 - …88.,Z…#…
0050 - 00 00 02 2C 5A 1A 05 2E 23 10 04 1E 1D 01 00 00 - …,Z…#…
</PRE>

The bitsetting dialogue is also grayed, so I can’t change it (see attach).

tdk -r 8x @12x burned at 4x (looks like it’s time to save some money for a new hdd & psu), but still a very good burn.

That’s strange if you have updated your 7173 drive with Liggy’s 1-01 Booktype/RPC1 version. You can try to use Binflash 1.33 (http://binflash.cdfreaks.com) from Liggy to check/set your booktype settings.

You should choose in Nero CD-DVD Speed at “Disc info” the option: [B]Book Type[/B].