Liggy & Dee NEC ND-3500 Modified Firmware V 2.TG Results & Support Thread

vbimport

LD V2.TG (Liggy & Dee NEC ND-3500 firmware)

Package contents
Version Release Date 21/08/2005
Binflash + LD V2.TG Firmware
Binflash + LD V2.TG QUIET Firmware
Firmware package can be flashed with Windows, DOS, Linux and MAC (see mini faq)
Full documentation (please read)

Visit our new Website for the latest firmware downloads and news

NOTES
LD V2.TG
RIPLOCK REMOVED for fast DVD ripping

LD V2.TG QUIET
RIPLOCK enabled for quiet DVD playback on your PC. Please note, this will only playback slow on pressed DVD’s. DVD-R and +R media will still play at full drive speed. This is a feature of the STOCK NEC firmware.

Both firmwares share the same media speedups and strategy swaps

Change log

2.TG
Tweaked the write strategies of the following media to improve write quality
YUDEN000T02
MCC004
CMC MAG E01
MBI PG101 R04

2.TF
Fixed RICOH JPNR01 and YUDEN000T01

2.TE
New base firmware ( Liggy’s 2.1Abt )
Completely rewritten strategy swaps and tweaks

LD Firmware Mini FAQ

Q: Which NEC firmware is LD firmware based on?
A: This firmware is based on Liggys 2.1Abt firmware with riplock removed and RPC1 and many other changes.

Q: How do i flash my drive with this firmware?
A: The firmware is now bundled with Liggys Binflash Unzip then run the package, now click on the FLASH button. The firmware will now be uploaded onto your drive, when completed you will be prompted to restart your PC.

To Flash a drive in DOS, LINUX or MAC. Use a current version of Binflash. Run Binflash with the commands necessary to load the firmware package. Binflash will accept either a .BIN or a .EXE file and flash your drive.

Q: What are the risks of flashing my drive with this firmware?
A: Great care has been taken to make sure your drive is not damaged in any way by using this firmware. However, you flash your drive with this firmware at your own risk. Neither I, Liggy, or cdfreaks will be held responsible if your drive or media is damaged in any way.

Q: Will flashing my drive with this firmware void my guarantee?
A: Yes, flashing your drive with any unofficial firmware will null your guarantee. If something should go wrong with your drive, you should buy a new one and not RMA the drive.

Q: Why do i not get good results when i burn media on the modified media list at MAX speed?
A: This is largely down to the quality of your media. If the speedups don’t give you good results. Set the burn speed lower. This firmware will give good results at the stated stock firmware speed, without having to flash back to a stock firmware.

Q: What about media not on the modified media list?
A: All media both SL and DL not listed in the modified media table use the default NEC STOCK write strategies and speeds. If you don’t get the results you expect with media not in the modified list, this is a limitation of the media or drive, not this firmware.

Q: How do i set SL bitsetting for +R media?
A: Run the supplied Binflash application. Click on the BOOKTYPE button and then the SL +R tab, change this to booktype DVD-ROM then click on APPLY. This setting is stored and does not need to be run again, unless you wish to change the booktype back to +R

Q: How do i set SL bitsetting for +RW media?
A: Run the supplied Binflash application. Click on the BOOKTYPE button and then the SL +RW tab, change this to booktype DVD-ROM then click on APPLY. This setting is stored and does not need to be run again, unless you wish to change the booktype back to +RW
Important
You will need a NEW UNUSED +RW media to activate Booktype DVD-ROM
1, Having set the firmware to booktype DVD-ROM for +RW media, insert your NEW unused disc
2, Burn the disc with some data or a movie. Booktype should be set as DVD-ROM.
You can now use previously used +RW media. Insert your already used media and run CD Speed to reformat the media. Then all new burns will have its booktype set as DVD-ROM.

Q: How do i use DL +R bitsetting?
A: Run the supplied Binflash application. Click on the BOOKTYPE button and then the DL +R tab, change this to booktype DVD-ROM then click on APPLY. This setting is stored and does not need to be run again, unless you wish to change the booktype back to DL +R

Submitting test results
Please state the LD firmware version used for the burn, the media type (MID code) and the burn speed.

If possible burn a disc with NERO CD-DVD Speed (create data disc) and save the burn screenshot by clicking on the disc icon at the top of the window.

Also submit a (data transfer test) Using the ND-3500, again saving the screenshot from CD-DVD Speed

Disc Quality scans can be submitted with (Liteon drives) using K-Probe @4X scan speed or CD-DVD Speed (disc quality) @4X scan speed.

If scanning with a Benq drive. use CD-DVD Speed (disc Quality) @4X scan speed.

DOWNLOAD LINKS
NOTE We do not allow offsite linking to these files. You may also have to temporarily switch off any firewall you are running.

All our firmwares for all 35xx series drives are now stored on our new website

PS: Before posting in this thread, please read the documentation supplied

:bow: :bow: :bow:

Dear Dee, dear Liggy

thank you very much for this release. As it seems RICOHJPN R02-03 is working very well @ 16x again. :clap: :clap:
Now where is that PayPal button? I’d like to donate some bucks! :iagree:

So, here we are going with the screenshots, a scan with my 716A should follow in a few hours.

Again and I am sure you can’t hear it anymore, but your efforts are highly appreciated.

Thanks Dee and Liggy!

Nice job Liggy & Dee! :bow:

Now I feel like using my ND-3500AG again. Than you! :bigsmile:

Amazing… my 3500 is still a contender :slight_smile:
I went to your website and I saw that the +DL strategy was 1.27 as opposed to 1.26 from the .2TD firmware(which I still havent tried yet). I am a n00b at this whole write strategy thing… what improvements if any will I see for Verbatim +R dl media??

Thanks for all your hardwork… if by some chance you are in the NY area and CBGB hasnt been closed… lemme know.

As promised, here is the scan with my 716A.

PIF’s aren’t looking that good, but it could be batch related. I will check this later this day.

I think Dee has no Paypal account yet but if you really want to get rid of your money, there’s a button for me on my Binflash page :wink:

But I have to admit that most of the work on this firmware was done by Dee.

I think, I’ll do that. If Dee gets a paypal account just drop me a line. :flower:

I am afraid I can’t donate that much as I am a poor college student, but 5 € may be better than nothing…
Go and drink a beer or two, you really deserve it. :iagree:

Trying to see DVD write speeds with Firmware Strategy Reader v1.2.3 (with firmware LD3500_2TE): the software exit, instead it’s OK with CD write speeds.

I hope you don’t mind if I drink something else. I don’t like beer :o
Not even Kölsch :wink:

Nah, drink what you like. You could buy your ape a cuban cigar instead if you find one for a Heiamann! :bigsmile:

However, here is another scan of a RICOHJPN R02-03 which looks better than the first one. It’s not a perfect burn, but this is definitely related to the batches I have used. So I’d say this firmware is recommended for overspeeding these discs up to 16x.

Good job! :bow: :clap:

For a quick comparison here my old 2.TD scan of the same media (Platinum branded)

I’d say the small differences between the scans are most likely batch related. Mine are labeled as Tevion 8x (Aldi - Discounterware :bigsmile: ).

Slightly off-topic: You did not face a problem with 2.TD and your Ricoh’s at the 1.5 GB mark? I just wonder, because I had to switch back to 2.TC to get readable discs in other drives than the NEC. However, it’s working good for me with 2.TE and so I am happy again. I just couldn’t stand it not having everything flashed up to the latest revisions… :disagree: :stuck_out_tongue:

manythanks liggy & dee, i`ll do some tests over the weekend.

As always, many thanks for your work on the 3500 L&D!
RitekG05 branded RiData @8x

Schweet, you’re still at it!!! Well, I still see that most of the media speedups I have grown to love are still there! I could do some test burns if you guys like, I have a bunch of different media. Current list of media: Fuji branded Ricoh JPNR 01, Sony branded Sony D11, Maxell branded Ritek G05, Newegg branded Ritek G04, Memorex branded CMC AE1, Fuji branded Yuden T02, Fuji branded Prodisc F01. Any requests??? I can’t scan with anything but my Liteon DVD-ROM, and limit the speed with CD throttle. Lots of different media, and most of it burns @ 12x or 16x !!! For that I must :bow: :bow: :bow: , that’s why I LOVE my 3500a!!! Will Ritek G05 burn @ 12x in this firmware??? I didn’t see it on the speedups, but I thought it might be that way in the stock firmware. It seems the Maxell G05 I have right now will burn good @ 12x with the 2TB firmware. I dunno what strategy is used, but it seems to work. I haven’t fully tested it though, my friend bought them for his DRU-530a :Z :Z :Z , and they don’t burn for :bigsmile: in it. So I traded him some Ricoh JPNR 01 to help him out. I don’t really care, I have so much media it’s SICK!!! I told everybody if they want to burn DVDs they have to buy disks, and eventually it got out of hand! So then I said they have to start paying $$$ so I can replace my drive when they kill it. So far so good, I actually got enough $$$ to buy a replacement 3500a still in the static bag on the shelf! I dunno how many disks this thing burnt, but it’s amazing! It’s still dead silent too, most optical drives get noisy after you use them a lot! I love this drive, never had a better one!!! :bow: :bow: :bow: :iagree:

Verbatim DataLifePlus DVD+R 16x (MCC 004) written @16x with 2.TE fw.
Media is Made in Taiwan by CMC

The scans are not an improvement over earlier firmwares for me (2.TC and 2.TD), actually there is a rise in PIE errors around the 4GB point that wasn’t there before. This could be because I’m using a new cakebox of media however.

PIE/PIF scans done on a Plextor PX-712A 1.07 with PlexTools 2.24b.

The best thing that can be said about this burner/media/speed combination is that scans look almost as good at 12x as they do at 2x in my Plextor drive.

[ol]
[li]Create Data Disc[/li][li]Read Transfer on NEC 3500 drive[/li][li]PxScan at 2x in Plextor PX-712 drive[/li][li]PxScan at 12x in Plextor PX-712 drive[/li][li]Burst test at 2x in Plextor PX-712 drive[/li][/ol]

YUDEN000 T02 branded as Fujifilm (the colored 30-packs on sale at Staples this week). Burned at 16X with V2.TE. Think these will be nice @ 12X.

Thanks Dee and Liggy!!! :flower:

Another scan, a Ritek, looks very good. :clap:

Ritek R03-02 written @ 8x:

Fujifilm DVD+R 8x (YUDEN000 T02) TG001125 written at 12x with 2.TE fw.

Quality is roughly the same as for a disc from the same cakebox burned with 2.TB firmware, except for the effect of a single speck of dust once again attaching itself to the disc while burning. :doh:

The dust speck accounts for the peak in POE and PIF at approx 3.7GB.

PIE/PIF scans done on a Plextor PX-712A 1.07 with PlexTools 2.24b and PxScan 1.7 (PxView 1.11.3).

[ol]
[li]Create Data Disc[/li][li]Read Transfer on NEC 3500 drive[/li][li]PxScan at 2x in Plextor PX-712 drive[/li][li]PxScan at 12x in Plextor PX-712 drive[/li][li]Burst test at 2x in Plextor PX-712 drive[/li][/ol]<!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->