Liggy And Dee NEC ND-3520 Modified Firmware V 2.U2 Results & Support thread

vbimport

LD3520 2.U2 (Liggy & Dee NEC ND-3520A firmware)

Package contents
Version Release Date 17/08/2005
Binflash + LD3520 2.U2 Firmware
Binflash + LD3520 2.U2 Quiet Firmware
The firmware package can be used with Windows, DOS, Linux or MAC. (see minifaq)
Please make sure you read the documentation included in the package.

Visit our new Website for all the latest firmware news

NOTES
LD3520 2.U2
RIPLOCK REMOVED for fast DVD ripping

LD3520 2.U2 QUIET
RIPLOCK enabled for quiet DVD playback on your PC. Please note, this will only playback slow on pressed DVD’s. DVD-R and +R media will still play at full drive speed. This is a feature of the STOCK NEC firmware.

Both firmwares share the same strategy edits and speedups.

A Big thanks to Liggy for making his patcher compatible with the ND-3520A drive, and his Binflash flasher utility packaged with this firmware.
An extra big thanks to Liggy for his new bitsetting 3.05 firmware
This firmware is only compatible with NEC ND-3520, MadDog and IO-DATA rebadge
DO NOT try and FLASH a ND-3500, ND-3530, ND-3540 or rebadges drive with this firmware.

Changes
2.U2
Improved the write quality of YUDEN000T02
Improved the write quality of MBI PG101 R04 at 12X
Improved the write quality of Philips C16
Now bundled with Binflash 1.18

2.U1
All new base firmware and completely rewritten write strategies
Removed some supported media from the speedup list
Support for new media’s within the firmware

LD Firmware Mini FAQ

Q: Which NEC firmware is this firmware based on?
A: This firmware is based on Liggy’s 3.05bt with version string changed, with riplock removed and RPC1

Q: How do i flash my drive with this firmware?
A: The firmware is now bundled with Liggys Binflash Unzip then run the package, now click on the FLASH button. The firmware will now be uploaded onto your drive, when completed you will be prompted to restart your PC.

To Flash a drive in DOS, LINUX or MAC. Use a current version of Binflash. Run Binflash with the commands necessary to load the firmware package. Binflash will accept either a .BIN or a .EXE file and flash your drive.

Q: What are the risks of flashing my drive with this firmware?
A: Great care has been taken to make sure your drive is not damaged in any way by using this firmware. However, you flash your drive with this firmware at your own risk. Neither I, Liggy, or cdfreaks will be held responsible if your drive or media is damaged in any way.

Q: Will flashing my drive with this firmware void my guarantee?
A: Yes, flashing your drive with any unofficial firmware will null your guarantee. If something should go wrong with your drive, you should buy a new one and not RMA the drive.

Q: Do I need special IDE drivers when running this firmware on my drive?
A Like all optical drives. It has been proven they work best when using Microsoft’s default IDE drivers. This is a must for this firmware.

Q: Why do i not get good results when i burn media on the modified media list at MAX speed?
A: This is largely down to the quality of your media. If the speedups don’t give you good results. Set the burn speed lower. This firmware will give good results at the stated stock firmware speed, without having to flash back to a stock firmware.

Q: What about media not on the modified media list?
A: All media both SL and DL not listed in the modified media table use the default NEC STOCK write strategies and speeds. If you don’t get the results you expect with media not in the modified list, this is a limitation of the media or drive, not this firmware.

Q: How do i set SL bitsetting for +R media?
A: Use CD Speed or WinBtype to set booktype to DVD-ROM This setting is remembered by the drive and only needs set once. Make sure no disc is in the drive.

Q: How do i use DL +R bitsetting?
A: Use CD Speed or WinBtype to set booktype to DVD-ROM This setting is remembered by the drive and only needs set once. Make sure no disc is in the drive.

Q: How do i use DVD+RW bitsetting?

Note

Submitting test results
Please state the LD firmware version used for the burn, the media type (MID code) and the burn speed.

If possible burn a disc with NERO CD-DVD Speed (create data disc) and save the burn screenshot by clicking on the disc icon at the top of the window.

Also submit a (data transfer test) Using the ND-3520 or ND-3500AG, again saving the screenshot from CD-DVD Speed

Disc Quality scans can be submitted with NEC Drives using CD-Speed with scan speed set at 5X or 8X
Note Version 3.75 or higher is required for PI/PIF scanning on the NEC drives.

Below is some additional info from the author of CD-Speed.

(Liteon drives) using K-Probe @4X scan speed or CD-DVD Speed (disc quality) @4X scan speed.

If scanning with a Benq drive. use CD-DVD Speed (disc Quality) @8X scan speed.

DOWNLOAD LINKS
NOTE We do not allow offsite linking to these files. You may also have to temporarily switch off any firewall or similar software you are running.

All our firmwares for all 35xx series drives are now stored on our new website

Note
We do NOT offer support for previous versions

PS: Before posting in this thread, please read the documentation supplied

You may also like to read a review on this firmware on cdfreaks.
To read the review click here

Thanks again Dee!!!

I do not see the write sratagy for TYG-02 as I did in 1UF. Did you eliminate any write stratagies or just add Daxon.

Dee-27: Can you post some scans of added Daxon discs… ? =) I don’t think I ever saw any scans of this discs.

thank you Dee and Liggy once again:)
@Quikee i’ve posted some results of daxon AZ2 (BenQ branded DVD+R 8x) and they were poor… maybe AZ3 is better:)

Why does my firmware now show Nec3520RW1UG

Is it best to booktype dvd+ to Book type dvd-rom

Well yes… this is why I want to see a scan… I know of Daxon AZ2 and I know they are poor but never saw a scan of Daxon AZ3 or any of Daxon DVD-R discs. Dee allowed to burn them at 16x… so they must be acceptable. =)

Thanks again Dee… :bigsmile:

… once again I ask you: :confused:

I was buying Intenso DVD+R 8x PRODISC R03
Could you kindly tell me your quality opinion of this DVD ?
Is still better to write them with 1.UG or using the NEC 3.04 firmware ?

NEC ND-3520A - Modified vs. stock firmware - DVD+R writing
http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/178/4

MCC-004 Verbatim 16x

Your IDE controller is not set on DMA mode 2, you need to sort this :slight_smile:

@Maciste
I found mine burned best with modified firmware. try them and scan them with both firmwares and see what gives the best results.

@Quikee
RE DAXON
Only burned them on the 3540, but the write strats are identical.

It’s set like this…

Here’s a scan of Memorex + branded CMC MAG E01 picked up a few weeks back for $8.97 @50pk. Burnt at 8X with this firmware. Opinions welcome !

Nice job!

Again, nice job!

I will give it a try this day. I have to burn some discs :slight_smile: and I can scan MCC 04 and TY 002. This evening I hope to post my results with the firmware!

It needs to be Ultra DMA 2. The used driver should be OK, but what IDE controller do you have?

Hi!

I burned 3 discs up to now. I am very glad with my MCC 004 discs which are performing very well. About my TY T02 I am a little bit concerned, because they perform very bad (not only with this firmware). I think I have a bad load of them, or they are degraded in quality. Unfortunately :confused: … I think I am a Verbatim lover since yesterday :smiley: !

BTW: because scanning @5x / @8x does not seem to have any impact on the results, I scan @8x. It saves lots of time, because I scan almost every burned disc…

GrtZ, Dawnlooder

and the post is not 1 day old :wink:

@ Liggy

This time after updating I watched flying by on the screen, “1GF” while under Windows XP “1UG” is visible!

This is the first time that I see a difference between the DOS and Windows
mention, is that the way this time it should be? Or not?
I always do the update with 116winguiflasher…

I like to hear if you all has the same mention, it should then logical for me…
we all have the same error !
Or only I have an error… wich I don’t think.

I always check the DOS and Windows mentions!

Harry