Life without internet!

Yesterday we had a major problems with 2 cables under the Mediterranean Sea that are said to hace been cut . These two cables connect most of Middle Eastern countries (Including Egypt) to Europe and USA .
I can hardly browse any site including here although I have the highest DSL speed available in Egypt (2 Mbps for 100$ per month :a .
They say , it would take a whole week to get back to normal !!!
Now , that really sucks

Have you ever imagined living without internet ? or was in such situation ?

“God bless the Internet” : quote from American Pie 1 :bigsmile:

Ouch Mina! :eek:

I don’t think I’ve ever been without the net for more than 3-4 hours in one go (when someone cut a cable in the North of the city), but when they first started upgrading us to 20Mbit, the network couldn’t cope with it and my internet was up and down like a yo-yo.

No net for any longer than that would be horrible…I’d go even more nuts than I am already :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=Arachne;1990592]I’d go even more nuts than I am already :p[/QUOTE]
That is [B]impossible[/B] :eek:

• Reefke pings Lin :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank goodness for satelite service here in the USA!

You would just find something else to do with your time if there was not internet but some might go crazy.

I smell something wrong !!!

When I call my ISP customer service the automatic answering machine has a strange message about the internet cut which “it claims” was due to a ship refused to get permission to Alexandria’s shore (Egyptian city) !!!

Here is something that agrees with my “conspiracy theory” theory :

http://www.bloggernews.net/113471

Here too : http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7218008.stm

I have been with the internet from 1998 without any “cuts” , now this happens :sad:

[QUOTE=THE C.;1990614]Thank goodness for satelite service here in the USA![/QUOTE]

Yup, even here a fairly good option is 2-way internet via satellite. :wink:

[QUOTE=samlar;1990629]You would just find something else to do with your time if there was not internet but some might go crazy.[/QUOTE]

Might I suggest snugglin’ with your woman? It’s what I’d be doin’ with mine. :wink:

[QUOTE=justcallmebob;1990929]Might I suggest snugglin’ with your woman? It’s what I’d be doin’ with mine. ;)[/QUOTE]:iagree: fo sho :bigsmile:

If my Internet died right now:

-I’d be fairly ticked off at my inability to get on CDF and laugh and have a good time
-I’d finish my paper for English 10 hours earlier than I expect to [LOL]
-I’d be asleep in 15 minutes
-I’d be awake in 16 minutes, feeling withdrawl symptoms.
-I’d start calling people to try to replace the missing Internet
-[see all the points above]

Just think of all the paople that lived before the internet arived.
What did they do to have fun? (No CD Freaks?) How did they live?

[QUOTE=DR. PAUL;1990963]Just think of all the paople that lived before the internet arived.
What did they do to have fun? (No CD Freaks?) How did they live?[/QUOTE]Read post 8 and 9 :wink: I’m 51 and never had all these gadget and pc’s etc…we played outside all day when i was a kid.

I grew up with black and white tv. Rotary dial telephones.

You guys are lucky with the tech now.

I would be very disappointed without an internet conection, but it would not be the end. I lived most of my 60+ years without it and I would surely find another outlet for my interests, but my son on the other hand might just be a little more upset. I played stickball on the streets of Brooklyn, just a broom stick and a little pink ball was all I need to keep myself totally happy. This is a new world, an era that is just in its infancy, in a few years you might be saying , " How did we live with just the internet?:wink: Anybody up for taking a walk into the Holosuite on the Enterprise. LOL.

[QUOTE=alan1476;1990982]This is a new world, an era that is just in its infancy, in a few years you might be saying , " How did we live with just the internet?;)[/QUOTE]This is basically what i tell my daughter :iagree: Cars that run on air…who knows about the future.

Did you ever see the commercial on TV where a MS executive said that he told his mother in 1980 that he was going to work on computers, and she said " Why would anyone need a computer" ? It just stuck me funny.:iagree:

[QUOTE=Bob;1990972]Read post 8 and 9 :wink: I’m 51 and never had all these gadget and pc’s etc…we played outside all day when i was a kid.

I grew up with black and white tv. Rotary dial telephones.

You guys are lucky with the tech now.[/QUOTE]

That not bad my first few years we did not have a tv or telephone and our first phones did have rotary but you had to share a line with other people who listen in. 61. I am waiting until cars run on water so we can use up all that water from the ice melting, and my vacation home is on mars. Then I think it will be time for me to just start thinking out leaving this world in 20 or thirty years.

I woke up this morning and things are alot better now :clap:

The problem with technology is : “addiction” , we live our lives normally without it “before” we have it BUT once we get used to it , there is no going back :bigsmile:

When I first started the internet , it was 1998 with dial-up connection and it was so slow that even downloaded hardware drivers took several hours for few MBs and phone bills were sky high . Today we have 2Mbps as the highest speed available but some ISPs are trying to get Wi Max to cover whole Egypt and I think I will be from the first wave to jump on the bandwagon :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=minaelromany;1991224]I woke up this morning and things are alot better now :clap:

The problem with technology is : “addiction” , we live our lives normally without it “before” we have it BUT once we get used to it , there is no going back :bigsmile:

When I first started the internet , it was 1998 with dial-up connection and it was so slow that even downloaded hardware drivers took several hours for few MBs and phone bills were sky high . Today we have 2Mbps as the highest speed available but some ISPs are trying to get Wi Max to cover whole Egypt and I think I will be from the first wave to jump on the bandwagon :)[/QUOTE]

Glad to hear it :clap:

And the second part basically sums it up :iagree:

I would hate to go back to metered dial-up access and 3 figure phone bills :eek:

I’ve had a few times where homework forced me to live without internet for a few days at a time…not quite the same thing as what you had to go through mina, but it still sucked. Just catching up on everything (email and fantasy basketball mainly) was a little bit of a pain.

Well coming up on 55 in a few days & having only been using computers on a daily basis for 2+ years, I can tell you I would miss it now. 2+ years ago when my wife & I bought our first computer, we didn’t honestly think about the internet at all, of course that changed within a couple of days of buying the computer & up to this point I am glad it did. This Forum & a couple of others I have joined where I can help people that need it with the limited knowledge that I have, would be seriously missed by me, & also just the access to so much info at our fingertips. I grew up like a couple of other posters here, outside all the time, sports etc & basically just coming home to eat & sleep & I would never trade that for what so many of the young kids have done today, stuck in front of this media day in & day out & missing out on that part of life. I am also glad that things are working out for the original poster.