LH-20A1S - problems with Vista 64?

I recently put together a new system, and decided to go with Vista 64 since I wanted 4GB or more of RAM. I picked up a LH-20A1S to play around with, and so far it’s the one thing I haven’t been able to get working properly with Vista.

I can’t scan discs - CD/DVD speed just returns a “NO ADDITIONAL SENSE INFORMATION” error after the initial spin-up, and aborts. ImgBurn (when trying to burn an ISO) has either errored out immediately, or seized up at the “synchronizing cache” stage at the end of the burn, forcing me to power down to regain control of the drive. Setting compatibility mode to XP, running as admin, etc., has had no discernable effect.

The only thing that actually does work, is the burning functionality that is built into the OS - I can prepare a disc in Explorer, drag and drop 4GBs of files onto it, and get a working disc a few minutes later. Is there some trick to getting 3rd party burning apps to work in Vista that I’m not aware of? This isn’t going to be the system that I primarily burn discs on, but I would like to get the drive working fully just so I can run some scans and put it through its paces.

FWIW, I’m running a P35-based board with Vista Business x64.

Just to quickly update this thread, I’ve done some further testing and I have exactly the same results with my Samsung 203B hooked up to this system, so it’s obviously not a problem inherent to the LH-20A1S. Similarly, the LiteOn works perfectly in another system that is running XP.

I’m going to try a couple PATA burners when I have a chance and see if that makes any difference.

I run a 20A1S on a P35 board (upgrade from a faulty 680i in my sig) with Vista 64 and 4 gigs of ram. Have you got the newest drivers for the motherboard and SATA raid?

You need to install the SATA raid drivers as they have SATA drivers for non raid use as well, then install the newest motherboard drivers as these contain an update to the SATA drivers.

[QUOTE=qwakrz;1943596]I run a 20A1S on a P35 board (upgrade from a faulty 680i in my sig) with Vista 64 and 4 gigs of ram. Have you got the newest drivers for the motherboard and SATA raid?

You need to install the SATA raid drivers as they have SATA drivers for non raid use as well, then install the newest motherboard drivers as these contain an update to the SATA drivers.[/QUOTE]

That turned out to be the problem in a roundabout way. I did install the chipset and RAID drivers as soon as the system first booted into Windows, but apparently there is a problem with the drivers I downloaded from Asus’ website, or with those drivers and my system configuration. Once I grabbed the drivers directly from Intel’s website and installed them, the problem cleared up. I guess I shouldn’t have assumed that the drivers on Asus’ website were the most up to date. :slight_smile: