LH-20A1S + MKM 003 = Crap

vbimport

I started backing up some Xbox 360 games, but I’ve only managed to burn 2 discs succesfully out of 7 so far. One written at 4x, the other at 6x. The other discs have been coasters mostly, with various error messages showing in ImgBurn.

I’ve included the scans of the 2 succesful burns, and one I did using CodeKing’s CFW (the worst one). I’m using firmware 9L09N.

Does anyone know what’s going on here? If I understand correctly, then according to this link my problem could be due to some sort of new manufacturing method?

Originally I wanted to burn these discs with my BenQ DW1620, but they are not supported. What can I do here? Buy a new drive? Any suggestions?

Thanks! :wink:

Are those MKM003s legit?

How do I check that? Everything about the discs and the packaging seems legit… Bought them from Ebay: link.

[QUOTE=Hitokiri;2562559]How do I check that? Everything about the discs and the packaging seems legit… Bought them from Ebay: link.[/QUOTE]

Yes - they seem to be legit.
At first I thought that you are using some not-Verbatim branded media with possibly fake MID code.

Nope. :slight_smile:

I managed to get 2 more burns out of the spindle, that’s 4 out of 10… Same quality as the other 2. They install fine on my Xbox, but I got a “disc unreadable” error once already…

I’ll see if I can find some other discs in the store tomorrow (open on sunday), but I fear it’s my burner.

Anyone got any tips on getting a new burner? Any models to look out for?

Bought another set of Verbatims, this time made in Singapore (the others were MII). Burned one at 4x, you can see the result below.

Would the Lite-On iHAS324 be able to burn these properly? Or is there a better burner available?

[QUOTE=Hitokiri;2562712]Bought another set of Verbatims, this time made in Singapore (the others were MII). Burned one at 4x, you can see the result below.

Would the Lite-On iHAS324 be able to burn these properly? Or is there a better burner available?[/QUOTE]

I have a 525 A bought from TigerDirect and an Asus 241B1ST from NewEgg, both true LiteOn drives and both bought during the recent Black Friday deals, and both are good (but not outstanding) performers on MIS MKM003, with a rise in errors on the layer break, though the overall grading is still in the low 90’s from CDSpeed and Benq 1655.

[QUOTE=Hitokiri;2562712]Bought another set of Verbatims, this time made in Singapore (the others were MII). Burned one at 4x, you can see the result below. Would the Lite-On iHAS324 be able to burn these properly? Or is there a better burner available?[/QUOTE]
Try to scan at 4x.

[QUOTE=Coconut;2562713]I have a 525 A bought from TigerDirect and an Asus 241B1ST from NewEgg, both true LiteOn drives and both bought during the recent Black Friday deals, and both are good (but not outstanding) performers on MIS MKM003, with a rise in errors on the layer break, though the overall grading is still in the low 90’s from CDSpeed and Benq 1655.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your input. That definitely sounds better than what I have now. :slight_smile:

I bought one of those Liteon iHAS 524-98 A drives from TigerDirect also and it does
just fine on what ever I try and burn in it single layer or dual layer and the price just
can’t hardly be beat anywhere else. If you do not care about having a LightScribe drive
then I highly recommend it or even the Liteon iHAS 124-04B drives that they are selling
I bought 1 of them also and it does just about as good on SL or DL media but it has no
Smart Erase or LabelTag with it.

iHAS524-98 Price $19.99 + shipping [B]The Best deal[/B]

IHAS124-04 Price $18.99 + shipping

[QUOTE=NewFish;2562753]Try to scan at 4x.[/QUOTE]

I tried to scan one of the discs at 4x, the result was dramatically better at first, but then it just stopped responding at the layer break. I’ll scan them all again tomorrow. Doesn’t explain the coasters though…

So it’s common practice to scan DL discs at 4x? Why?

Coconut and getit29, at what speed do you guys scan your DL discs?

[QUOTE=Hitokiri;2562766]Coconut and getit29, at what speed do you guys scan your DL discs?[/QUOTE]

I scan all of my SL or DL disc’s @8x slower isn’t alway better as there isn’t that much difference
between the PIE and PIF totals and max levels at 4x or 8x if it scans good @8x then it will play
good @ 1x which is what speed DVD players read at. :iagree:

I always scan my MCC 004 discs at 16x in my BenQ, works great, good results every time. Too bad it can’t read MKM 003.

And for some reason my Lite-On can only scan the first layer of the DL discs at 4x, and then it just stops but the disc keeps spinning. So I scanned one at 8x, the result is below. A lot better, except for the spike at the start.

What am I looking at here? Bad discs, bad burner, bad scanner? Found a place that sells the Optiarc 7240S, I might try one of those.

I managed to get a scan out of my BenQ, same result as above (post #6) so I guess bad burner…

Sigh… Why do things always have to be so complicated? :doh: