LH-20A1P KL0M vs.KL0G DQ Test comparison at various speeds

The following 11 posts are test results on my first disc burned with KL0M “stock” firmware–not so much to check this drive’s writing quality, but more to smell out possible changes in the firmware as regards to this drive’s error correction reporting and jitter reporting at various speeds.
All tests are on the same disc, tested in the same drive & PC. Only difference is the firmware.
The tests done with KL0G firmware were done after flashing back from KL0M. The tests with KL0M “fast burn” were done after flashing back from KL0G. I tried the best I could to keep dust from settling on the disc between tests using the different firmwares. :flower:

Here is some drive info after flashing to KL0M stock from codeguys. I used KProbe252 this time just for a change…
This utility provides some drive information not found in other testing softwares.(only for LiteOn drives though)
SmartBurn Utility settings: Everything Unchecked.
I also included a shot of a DVDScan TE/FE test result on this disc just prior to burning it with the 20A1P.

Burned at 8X using drive’s default write strategy
Burned with Lite-On LH-20A1P 487C KL0M “stock” from codeguys Image Size: 4474 MB
Verbatim branded MCC004 Made in Taiwan (Prodisc) from a spindle of 10 pcs., serial# 7072E4116+02367E08
Burning application: ImgBurn232

Lead-in & pre-calibration: about 45 secs Lead-out & finalisation: about 25 secs.

A comparison burn using this drive at 8X default using KL0G fb-eos can be found in the Mitshubishi Chemicals 16X DVD+R thread in the DVD media sub-forum.
I include the KProbe TRT just to convey the peculiar habit of this drive to start the “reading” before the drive has reached the 16X CAV rpm. This may be due to the Smart-X thing, but it’s annoying in disc testing.

O.K. here are some DQ tests on this disc at lower speeds, including my first ever PIE/PIF test at 1X speed.
Totals and magnitudes of reported PIE and PIF at 1X, 2X, & 4X are very similar on this disc.
What I don’t understand is why samples are skipped even at 1X testing speed??? Come on, Lite-On.
The succeeding post will show test results at the same speeds using the previous firmware version KL0G.

O.K. these are results on the same disc, testing with the same drive but using KL0G firmware. This includes probably my last test ever at 1X speed with this drive if samples are always skipped even at this speed.
The first observation that should be made in comparing KL0M results and KL0G results is that the number of samples used is NOT the same.
KL0M uses more samples in DQ tests(skips less samples) than the previous KL0G, which I think could be considered an "improvement."
There doesn’t appear to be any great difference in the jitter levels reported by the two different firmwares when tested at the same speed.
But jitter avg. and peak values reported by CD-DVD Speed 4750 at 2X speed are LOWER than at 1X with both firmwares.

Here are results of testing at 6X, not a common speed for DQ testing but I wanted to check the firmware at all supported testing speeds.
It appears firmware version KL0M has a bug at this speed. The bug not only affects the PIE/PIF portion of the test but also the jitter test.
The last shot shows that KL0G most likely also has this bug.
This is most likely not a major issue for CDF members as I haven’t seen many members posting or talking about 6X scans.

O.K., Now some results at the higher speeds of 8X, 12X and 16X using KL0M.
The following post will show test results at these same speeds after flashing back to KL0G.

Here are the 8X, 12X, & 16X test results on this disc using KL0G firmware for comparison.
Once again a comparison with the KL0M results shows that more samples are being used with the latest firmware.(Less samples are being skipped by KL0M.)
It also seems that this change in the number samples used by the two firmware versions affects PIE totals at 12X & 16X testing speeds a bit more than PIE totals at lower testing speeds.
Because of the difference in the two 16X results above, I will do some more 16X tests on this disc after re-flashing back to KL0M and post below to see if the difference is simply typical variation in results using a home scanning drive.

O.K., here are a bunch of 16X speed test results. The tests were run in succession to test for PIE totals Variation Range using this drive. (I probably should have waited about 20 minutes between each test run.)
These tests were done after all KL0G test were done and I re-flashed back to KL0M-fb version this time. I know the fb version may taint my testing methodology but I am just a home user. I have numbered the graphs in the order they were done in the event that uploading the files to the CDF server changes the order. I will post only the graphs to save space but I can post the stats later if anyone wants.

The first five tests were run one after the other at about 1-2 minute intervals. I think this might explain the constant rise in PIE totals with each run as the drive and the disc were probably warmer with each successive run.
The 6th test was done 1 hour after the 5th, to allow the disc to cool down–and sure enought the PIE total came back down.
This may explain the 32,000+ PIE result at 16X in post #7 above–the disc may have just been hot during that run. 16X tests run when this disc is cool give PIE totals under 20,000 on every run I have done.

Here is some jitter testing using DVDScan. Judge for yourself, but I think with this drive selecting 2X may be the best speed for jitter testing and I use this program in most of my jitter testing because it’s much quicker than a 2X CDS4750 test.
1X and 2X jitter test results are very similar but anything higher and the results change significantly.

Sorry if the order of the screenshots has been changed but I don’t know how to control that. :frowning:

Here is some TA jitter shots on this disc using KL0M just for hoots. :bigsmile:

That’s it. :doh: More testing is needed to confirm/contradict my preliminary observations on this one disc. It seems the Lite-On firmware staff are not only working on writing strategies for this burner and correcting bugs(like the 4X DVD+RW bug in KL0G) but also fiddling around with the firmware’s error correction reporting which seems to affect DQ results slightly at the 12X and 16X testing speeds. I found this was also true with version KL0A and KL0G(changes to improve the error correction reporting)–so it seems this is considered important by the Lite-On staff.
The “issue” at 6X testing speed is not a biggie and LiteOn probably doesn’t need to use time in fixing it. :wink:

This drive has been out for a while now, so what is the consensus? What is most appropriate speed for PIE/PIF testing using this drive for Posting in this forum? :bigsmile:

Thanks for doing all those tests and presenting them, [B]uSerKey[/B]! :flower:

:bow: :bow: :bow: [B]uSerKey[/B]. :clap:

What is most appropriate speed for PIE/PIF testing using this drive for Posting in this forum? :bigsmile:
Nothing wrong with 8x, but I still prefer 4x speed. :wink:
But our ketchup spicy DrageMester might be of different opinion. :bigsmile:

thanks uSerKey for doing all the tests and for sharing the results with us.

As for the speed, forum standard is 8x for these drives but I prefer 4x and do 8x just when I’m in a hurry ;).

I decided to follow-up the firmware comparison with a few more tests on a second disc burned at 16X by the LH-20A1P KL0M-fb .
I have reduced the number of tests to my normal procedure which is:

1. TRT max speed
  2. 8X DQ test with CD-DVD Speed
  3. 16X DQ test with CD-DVD Speed
  4. Speed 2 Jitter test with DVDScan
    However I now wait about 30 minutes between each test to allow the disc and the drive to cool down. :wink:

The next 2 posts will have results of 2,3, & 4 above using KL0M-fb and KL0G-fb-eos for comparison.
Below is information on the 16X burn, a screenshot of the ImgBurn burn window and the TRT.

Burned at 16X using drive’s default write strategy
Burned with Lite-On LH-20A1P 487C (KL0M-fb codeguys) Image Size: 4478 MB
Verbatim MCC004 Made in Taiwan (Prodisc) from the same spindle of 10 pcs. (next disc in the stack.)
Burning application: ImgBurn
Everything Unchecked in the SmartBurn Utility.
Total burn time: 5:55

Here are DQ test results using KL0M-fb firmware.
A speck of dust accounting for about 300 PIFs at 4.0 GB tarnished the result on this disc somewhat. :a
The difference in the number of samples used between KL0M and KL0G is the same as the first disc above.
A stats comparison of the 16X speed tests is included in the next post. I tried my best to be sure the disc was cool before each test to minimize variation of PIE totals due to heat.

Here are DQ test results using KL0G-fb-eos firmware.
The 16X PIE results on this disc are acceptable while concerning at the same time. My 8X burned discs give better results in this regard.
Comparison of results using the two firmware seems to indicate that the number of samples used by the firmware does have a slight effect on the resulting PIE totals.
This KL0G fb-eos 16X DQ result reinforces my previous comment on the peculiar propensity of this drive to begin sending test data before the drive has reached the 16X CAV rpm and therefore showing both PIE & PIF spikes during the initial portion of the test–which is annoying. I attempted the test several more times to try and obtain a result without the initial spike but stopped the test each and every time because the drive’s “propensity” ALWAYS occured with this firmware at this speed on this disc.
Comparison of the DVDScan jitter test results presented by the two firmwares show that probably no changes were made in the jitter reporting of the drive by the new KL0M firmware.
BTW, this is my best DVDScan jitter result on a disc burn at 16X by the LH-20A1P on this Verbatim media.

Sorry, I couldn’t resist and decided to run another test on the 16X burned disc.
Below are results of a 2X speed Disc Quality with CD-DVD Speed 4.7.5.0 using KL0M-fb. I wanted to see the CDS jitter result at this speed to compare to DVDScan’s above. Both program’s jitter results are pleasing for a disc burned at 16X and suggest that Lite-On has done work on improving the 16X write strategy in this area for this MID. :clap: