LH-20A1H has DRM built in?

I need to replace my 716A. Now I read that the LH-20A1H has DRM built in the drive. If this is true what will this prevent me from doing? Can I still backup my DVD movies or burn MP3 disks. I don’t understand how DRM works exactly. :confused:

Thanks

Can you elaborate a bit on what you heard/read?

I have the LH-20A1H and have no problem whatsoever doing the things you mentioned. :wink:

Such problems would have been discussed here, so I doubt that this drive and all other DVD writer available on the market prevent you from making your backups.

I’m trying to find the review that mentioned it. I can’t remember if it was made by someone in a comment or if it was in a cons list. Then again maybe I misread it. I’m still looking.

It might just be the protection on some games, the inherent protection of retail DVD moviess, and certain copy protection schemes for audio CDs. These are the things that I know have been tested in CDFreaks’ reviews before. And, except for certain games, the drive really didn’t have any issue reading back protected discs.

In any case, the Litey should match the Plex’s abilities. :iagree:

Hmmm :confused:

cosidering that some drive manufacturers offer firmware updates “for Vista compatibility” or even new drives that explicitely are advertised as “Vista compatible”, then there seems to some feature set that is present in Vista, but not on older flavours of Windows. Some DRM feature not yet in use? No idea…

Michael

I remember some threads here about (suspected) problems with Lite-On’s and AnyDVD, but that’s more than 6 months ago. If there really was a problem, it appears to have been solved meanwhile.

I found some posts on videohelp. Although I don’t think it’s related to the LH-20A1H and it’s not the same site I was originally looking at.

http://forum.videohelp.com/topic304424.html

[QUOTE=mciahel;1932840]cosidering that some drive manufacturers offer firmware updates “for Vista compatibility” or even new drives that explicitely are advertised as “Vista compatible”, then there seems to some feature set that is present in Vista, but not on older flavours of Windows. Some DRM feature not yet in use? No idea…[/QUOTE]
Yep, Vista does have many sorts of built in DRM, and the step up from XP’s 12 ways to phone home is into the 100’s :a there is talk of everything created via WMP (11 ?) will have a hash number embedded that will trace back to your box, but not limited to just this …hence the need for a Vista ‘update’ this is why you cant run the OS without a connection to the Interweb (every 120 days max ?) or the OS will start to shut down parts of itself.

[QUOTE=CyberPlex;1931970]LH-20A1H has DRM built in?[/QUOTE]
no.

vista is a POS, don’t use it as long as windows xp fits your needs.

[QUOTE=chok0;1936611]no.

vista is a POS, don’t use it as long as windows xp fits your needs.[/QUOTE]

:clap: