LH-16W1P Four Hour DVD Burn, Help!

vbimport

When burning a DVD-R which is capable of 16x burn, and my DVD Lite-On drive is also capable of 16 write speed, it takes a little over four hours to burn a movie of 700MB. My computer is 512MB RAM, KT-333 FSB, on a Asus A7V333x Mobo, 50+ gig extra HD space, and my processor is an AMD Athlon XP 2000 (1.6 GHZ.) Based on what I have read, this is rediculous time to burn a DVD movie, most people will write in less than 10 minutes with a setup like mine. I have checked my system properties device manager for my Primary IDE channel to make sure it is set to DMA. It is on Direct Memory Access. I even uninstalled the primary IDE channel and rebooted to reinstall drivers. Same slow problem. I have even tried using different software other than Nero which came with it. I have tried DVDShrink, and DVD Decrypter. I am stumped to the solution. Any suggestions of why my burn time is rediculously long, I will appreciate your time to help me.

Also, while this four hour burn is taking place, if I walk away and let the screensaver kick on, right before it’s finished burning I will get an error. But I have successfully copied two of my DVD’s to DVD-R discs. (using my sweet 4 hour burner.) this is a joke.

Does anybody have outrageous DVD burn times like I do?

Go to control panel, System, Hardware tab,Devices administrator (or something like that), look for ide Ata drivers and right click on primary channel, properties, in transfer mode choos DMA if available.
Do this in both channels.
if you can’t change to DMA, you have to verify the jumpers on the back of your drive to the correct Master or Slave mode.

Dont think you have a long burn time.

Your video file is being transcoded into DVD format and its that that is taking the time. A DVD file must be in MPEG2 format and most AVI files are in MPEG4 / DivX format. This means that the file has to be transcoded and even on my new Dual core PC thats overclocked it still takes me over 2 hours to transcode a file.

Check to see if the DVD burner kicks off when you start to burn the disc, I have a feeling that it wont start actually burning for a while after you actually click start.

Is the burner on the same IDE cable as the HDD 'cos that’ll make it very slow.

Not running in DMA mode will slow it considerably but not to 4hours for a simple rip & burn.

The other thing is that unless your Liteon has a recent firmware update it might not be capable of burning a 16x DVD at more than 4x.

A screenshot from Nero’s CD-DVD Speed using the disk info tab & a blank disc in will help us a lot here.

Yeah you said 700 MB it means it have to ve encoded to MPEG-2 first, that takes really long time :iagree:

My burner is on the primary IDE channel, and my Hard Disks are on the Secondary IDE channel.

So should I make an Image file first? Or what? I understand it needs to convert from DivX to MPEG2, is there a way to keep it in this format to save space on my HD? That way when I need another backup copy of the movie, it will already been converted. Is this a good idea?

<br>
<FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’>
<TABLE cellpadding=‘0’ cellspacing=‘0’>
<TR><TD><B><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’>Nero CD-DVD Speed: Disc Info</FONT></B></TD><TD></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#505050’><B><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’ color=’#FFFFFF’> Basic Information</FONT></B></TD><TD bgcolor=’#505050’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> </FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#E0E0E0’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> Disc type:</FONT></TD><TD><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> DVD+R</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#E0E0E0’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> Book Type</FONT></TD><TD><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> DVD+R</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#E0E0E0’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> Manufacturer:</FONT></TD><TD><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> Ricoh</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#E0E0E0’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> MID</FONT></TD><TD><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> RICOHJPN R03 004 (04h)</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#E0E0E0’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> Write speeds:</FONT></TD><TD><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> 2.4 X - 4 X - 6 X - 8 X - 12 X - 16 X</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#E0E0E0’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> Blank Capacity</FONT></TD><TD><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> n/a</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#505050’><B><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’ color=’#FFFFFF’> Extended Information</FONT></B></TD><TD bgcolor=’#505050’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> </FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#E0E0E0’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> Layers</FONT></TD><TD><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> 1</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#E0E0E0’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> Write strategies</FONT></TD><TD><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> 4 X</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#E0E0E0’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> Disc Status</FONT></TD><TD><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> Open</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#505050’><B><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’ color=’#FFFFFF’> Raw Data</FONT></B></TD><TD bgcolor=’#505050’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> </FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#E0E0E0’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> Physical Format Information (00h)</FONT></TD><TD><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> </FONT></TD></TR>
</TABLE>
</FONT>
<PRE>
0000 - A1 0F 02 00 00 03 00 00 00 26 05 3F 00 00 00 00 - …&.?..
0010 - 00 00 07 52 49 43 4F 48 4A 50 4E 52 30 33 04 38 - …RICOHJPNR03.8
0020 - 23 54 37 13 00 44 73 00 84 6D 15 15 0B 0B 08 08 - #T7…Ds…m…
0030 - 01 19 1B 0C 0C 0C 0D 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - …
0040 - 01 00 38 38 00 20 5F 1E 08 2E 23 10 04 1E 1D 01 - …88……#…
0050 - 00 00 00 20 5F 1E 08 2E 23 10 04 1E 1D 01 00 00 - …
…#…
</PRE>

Check posts #3 & 5. You’re transcoding the video from AVI to DVD, which is taking 4+ hours. I’ve seen other threads where it appears to be possible for NeroVision to transcode & burn at the same time. You must transcode first (to the Image Recorder), before burning the image to disc. You’ll be able to burn at normal speeds then.

Use Winavi it takes about 30 mins to convert a .avi to dvd.

I have used Nero’s recode to write to an image. That took me about 3 hours. I have also tried using one called, DVD Flick. This one took me about 2-3 hours, burning just the image to disk. Later I burned the image to DVD-R disk, taking 4+ hours and most of the time it doesn’t finish right.