LG4120B: which 8x dvd+r can do 12x under 8 minutes burning time?

i did some tests on ricoh dvd+r 8x, imation dvd+r 8x ( also ricoh oem) . though 12x selected in Nero 6.3.1.17, but the actual burning fluctuates around 7.8x and lower , rendering total burning time close to 10 min ( i enabled Nero true speed display via registry trick). the buffer level began to fluctuate towards 50% of the process …i m not sure this is my system specific issue? my lg4120B is on A102 firmware.

any user of 4120 burning 8x media at 12x below 8 minutes with success?

Hi…

i’ve had success with RICOHJPNR02 (Ritek DVD+R 8x) but the last 5 of them burned around 12min. I’ve today watched the LG during the burning process in dvddecryptor and made the following experience:

1. Burn starts with 6x and spins slowly down due to constant write speed
  2. At about 0.5 GB drive spins up and burns with 7.8x. Now it spins down again slowly
  3. At about 2-3 GB (forgot the exact point) drive spins up and want’s to burn with 12x but the drive STAYS SPINNED UP but burns only at 4x (according to dvddecryptor)!!!

I know that i’ve burned disc with around 7 minutes. I’ve nothing changed… :confused:

Regards,

Gerd

Hi…

“funny thing”… It looks like that only nero recode can write at 12x? I’ve made today 4 dvds for my children to watch (teletubbies from dvb) and had to shrink one because it was a little bit to large:

There is a part (shortend) of the nero recode log:

22:42:59 Prepare recorder [HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4120B] for write in CUE-sheet-DAO

22:42:59 Caching of files started
22:42:59 Cache writing successful.
22:42:59 Caching of files completed
22:42:59 Burn process started at 12x (16.620 KB/s)
22:42:59 Verifying disc position of item 0 (relocatable, disc pos, no patch infos, orig at #0): write at #0
22:42:59 ---- DVD Structure: Physical Format Information (00h) ----
Layer: 0, Address: 0 (0 h), AGID: 0; Length: 2050
Book Type: DVD+R (10), Part Version: 1
Disc Size: 120 mm, Maximum Rate: <not specified> (F h)
Number of Layers: 1, Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP), Layer Type: recordable
Linear Density: 0,267 um/bit, Track Density: 0,74 um/track
Starting Physical Sector Number of Data Area: 30000 h (DVD-ROM, DVD-R/-RW, DVD+R/+RW)
End Physical Sector Number of Data Area: 26053F h
End Sector Number in Layer 0: 0 h
Data in Burst Cutting Area (BCA) does not exist
Disc Application Code: 0 / 0 h
Extended Information indicators: 3 h
Disc Manufacturer ID: RICOHJPN
Media type ID: R02
Product revision number: 3
Number of Physical format information bytes in use in ADIP up to byte 63: 56
Media Specific [16…63]:
00 00 03 52 49 43 4F 48 - 4A 50 4E 52 30 32 03 38 …RICOHJPNR02.8
23 54 37 18 00 3E 6E 00 - 70 62 15 15 0B 0B 08 08 #T7…>n.pb…
01 19 1B 0B 0B 0E 0F 01 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 …

22:42:59 Start write address at LBA 0
DVD high compatibility mode: No

< actual burning process >

22:49:42 <HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4120B> start writing Lead-Out at LBA 2283616 (22D860h), lenght 0 blocks
22:49:42 all writers idle, stopping conversion
22:49:59 Burn process completed successfully at 12x (16.620 KB/s)

You can see that the burn process lasts from 22:42:59->22:49:59 which is 7 minutes including lead in and out!

Can someone explain why nero recode is so fast and nero burning a DVD video with about 4.1 GB needs > 10 minutes?!? :confused:

Regards,

Gerd

i haven’t tried nero recode. but in your 1st post that’s what i experience also. the spin down to aout 4x is quite slow indeed.judging fr ur 2nd post, tis issue could be software resultant. i hav yet to test other software to see how and will post results here again.

The other day I burned a Verbatim 8x DVD+R in 7 minutes 5 seconds. Nero (v. 6.0.0.28) was set at 12x, but I’m not sure if it did burn at full 12x or what, as I’m new to this game…

TY yuden 02 media seem to work best at 12x.

RICOHJPNR02 burn just fine here on LG4120 drive. 12X burn of full disc takes 7:01, whether using A101 or A102 firmware, there doesn’t seem to be any significant difference in burn time or quality.

Hi…

might be… But you can hardly get them in germany. On the other side the RICOHJPNR02 are very common even in very cheap media.

But to make sure that i get RICOHJPNR02 and that they are from good quality i’ve bought the golden (surface) Ricoh 8x DVD+R. They look very nice (golden topping) and they seem to be of a good manufacturing quality. Some cheap R02 media have sharp edges or they are not 100% cemented (? right word ?) in the middle where the spindle of the drive is (at least a few of them i had).

Regards,

Gerd

Hi…

might this be the reason? During the sessions where my burns lasts over 10 minutes i was doing some other stuff on my computer. I remember that dvddecryptors buffer view of the drive was fluctuating too.

Could it be that the drive counts the “nearly buffer underruns” during the 6x and 8x phase and rejects to burn at 12x because of to much “nearly buffer underruns”? Or that it is burning at 12x but does something like “throttling”: burn 12x, wait, burn 12x, wait, burn 12x, wait and so on just do make sure that the buffer won’t underrun and so you see no buffer underrun because the drive has prevented it?

Regards,

Gerd

TY is obviously the best source for optical storage media. Why are the precise Germans not with them this time? I mean c’t even tests drives and media with very expensive tools for more precise results so there must be at least some demand there for higher-quality media.

Hi…

TY is obviously the best source for optical storage media. Why are the precise Germans not with them this time? I mean c’t even tests drives and media with very expensive tools for more precise results so there must be at least some demand there for higher-quality media.
Some people demand higher-quality media. But most of the people are just not aware that there’s such a big difference in media quality. If the media they bought is writeable in the burner and can be read in the standalone most of them think “Good and cheap media”. Nobody cares about “is it readable in one year”.

But i think that this is not only a “german problem”. Many people worldwide think “my kprobe scan of xyz 4x media (30cent each) burned perfectly with abc burner at 8x”. But what they seem do forget is that they tested only if that specific media is readable in their liteon burner and not the real burned media quality which could be very bad. Compare: c’t 14/2004 page 151. Media 3 had a PI Sum 8 of 1607, PIF of 183 and one POF at the audiodev scan. But with kprobe 2.1 on a 832S? Just PI 10, PIF 1, POF 0… :Z But kprobe just reports the values from the burner. Is it possible that liteon burners are so good readers because they have to due to their bad burned media quality… :wink: :bigsmile:

Back to the “media id”: How shall a normal user know if there’s a TY media inside or not? The cheaper discs “change” their manufacturer very often. Example: You won’t know if Platinum DVD+R 8x is RICOHJPNR02 or CMC MAG E01 from the outside. :confused:

Regards,

Gerd

Plextor DVD+R 8x are TY they will burn @12x. You get them easy in Germany.

Media Information                            
Region information                                    N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
Media code/Manufacturer ID                                    YUDEN000T02
Media Product Revision Number                                         00h
Book Type                                                           DVD+R
Media Type                                                          DVD+R
Media Id Code Speed                                        8.0x 11080KBps
Available Write Descriptor                           CLV 12.0x  16620KBps
Available Write Descriptor                           CLV  8.0x  11080KBps
Available Write Descriptor                           CLV  4.0x   5540KBps
Data area starting sector                                          30000h
Data area end sector                                              1CF89Fh
Linear Density                                                0.267um/bit
Track Density                                                0.74um/track
Number of Layers                                                        1

The kprobe scan of Plextor DVD+R 8x@12x burned on LG GSA-4120B:

You have to keep in contact with the manufacturers and distributors to know the information in advance. I do not trust suppliers that change their manufacturer sources without telling others sooner or later.

There’s a South Korean vendor named Fusion 21. The company’s main product is Fusion CD-R. Fusion CD-R was introduced about four years ago after successive contract with Taiyo Yuden, Japan. Since then, the company has had a virtual monopoly on Taiyo Yuden CD-R, DVD-R, and DVD+R media in South Korea whether bulk or not, retail or OEM. Also, as far as I have seen, 100% Fusion media are made by Taiyo Yuden imported directly from Japan. The guy naturally became an instant multi-millionaire. So far, there have been TY DVD recordable media only under TY’s own brand names in South Korea with the only exception of recent bundled media from Lite-On IT, Taiwan, that a Lite-On distributor imported along with Lite-On DVD writers but are not for resale on retail shelves or web shopping malls to end users. Just an example.