LG WH14NS40 doesn't read 4k UHD Discs

vbimport

Hey Guys,

I am trying to see if anyone knows the proper firmware to do a cross flash with for the WH14NS40. Mine has the 1.03 firmware and I just snagged San Andreas 4K UHD and when i pop it in the drive it isn’t recognized. Searching online it seems like not all blu ray drives can read the 4k UHD discs. they have to be newer or have to have BDXL support supposedly. To my knowledge this drive has BDXL support and scouring the internet seems like some people have cross flashed to a different firmware and managed to get it to work. Would anyone know which particular firmware i should crossflash the WH14NS40 with? any help, guide or assistance is much appreciated.

WH14NS40 fw 1.03

powerdvd 16

windows 10

i7 930

gtx 670

windows 10 pro

Only the second generation of drives LG WH14NS40 is able to read materal 4K UHD Discs (BD-ROM DL 66GB \ BD-ROM XL 100GB and keys AACS 2)
[B]LG BH16NS50/BH16NS55, 2nd gen BH14/WH14/BH16/WH16NS40 (SVC. Code NS50, 2015+) [/B]

thanks for the response. I snagged a wh16ns40 off of newegg hopefully that will do the trick. my wh14 is first gen I bought it November of 2014.

[QUOTE=igbeserk;2775974]thanks for the response. I snagged a wh16ns40 off of newegg hopefully that will do the trick. my wh14 is first gen I bought it November of 2014.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately,it won’t do the trick…
While you will be able to browse the disc’s content and filestructure,you won’t be able to play it with powerDvd (or any software player yet,AFAIK)

More info :

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/48416.page

yep, you are correct. it allows me to read the disc and see the content but I get a dirty disc error when I try to play through power dvd. sigh.

I think it’s just luck that they read Ultra HD discs. The drives claim no support for that version of BD-ROM, nor support for AACS2.

Of course that could change in a future firmware update… maybe even in v1.02 (mine BH16NS55 is still on 1.01).

[QUOTE=LIGHTNING UK!;2776427]I think it’s just luck that they read Ultra HD discs.[/QUOTE]

I don’t think so…ATM,besides Sony (rebrander),LG is the only pc optical drive manufacturer who licensed the new standard…

https://www.blu-raydisc.info/licensee-list/flla-rom4drive-licenseelist.php

That may be the case but this drive doesn’t support aacs2, nor claim to support reading bdrom v2 (uhd) discs. So whilst it can physically read them, logically it doesn’t.

[QUOTE=LIGHTNING UK!;2776435]That may be the case but this drive doesn’t support aacs2, nor claim to support reading bdrom v2 (uhd) discs. So whilst it can physically read them, logically it doesn’t.[/QUOTE]

If a drive meets the specs,to make it work,that’s what a compatible software and firmware update is for…:bigsmile:

Fingers crossed they’ll do that. I won’t hold my breath though… they’ll add that stuff, bump the price and sell even more drives :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=LIGHTNING UK!;2776437]Fingers crossed they’ll do that. I won’t hold my breath though… they’ll add that stuff, bump the price and sell even more drives :)[/QUOTE]

Most likely…or the price of PowerDvd will be skyrocketing…:bigsmile::bigsmile:

Hey there, I have the WH14NS40 code ns50 fw 1.03. Not sure how i am supposed to flash the drive back to 1.02 can you please help? ive never used dosflash. would love your input. thank you

There is a guide here:

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17058

You have in the subject below the clean firmware for LG WH14NS40 fw.1.00 and 1.02 and the exact instructions.

when i run dosflash64 (cant run 32 even when i disable drive enforcement…) it doesnt recognize any port and there are none in the dropdown menu

DosFlashV2.0 GUI only supports S-ATA ports 1 ~ 4 @ IDE mode under 32bit system.

You must find an older computer preferably with Windows 7 32 bit (A motherboard with SATA controller set as IDE (not AHCI !!!))

Otherwise, you can try the instructions from the link from @ TwinParadox