Lg wh12ls38?

vbimport

Just bought a LG WH12LS38 Blu Ray burner - Can’t find any info on it at the LG site. is it a rebranded drive, discontinued, OEM or ???:confused:
I was looking for modded firmware to speed up ripping.
Can anyone tell me what I have??

Thanks

It is a proper LG BH12LS3x series drive. There are no hardware differences between the WH series and the BH series. Even the firmwares are almost identical, with the only difference being the name of the drive and some checksums.

LG does have info on these drives here: http://www.lgsolutions.com/products/digital-storage/optical-disc-drives/blu-ray-drives-internal/wh12ls38-blu-ray-disc-rewriter-internal-sata-12x-super-multi-blue-lightscribe

There is no firmware out for these drives yet as far as I know, so what you need to do is to use DevilsClaw’s Flasher (http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=46137) to dump the firmware from your drive, use MCSE to patch it, and then use Flasher again to flash back the patched firmware to your drive. You only need to patch the main part and flash it back. There’s no need to do anything with the core.

Could you please let us have a copy of the firmware dumps (both main and core parts please). Thanks! :flower:

Thanks for the info.
I’ll try and save a copy of the firmware and post it
This weekend
Thanks again for the help

not wanting to steal the thread here but have a question along the same lines as the original poster
i just ordered the LG WH12LS39
i notice mine has a 9 at the end different from the OP 8 is there a difference in these drives just from the last number change?
here is the link to the one i just got.

and do i need to do a FW flash on it? if so what is the advantage of the flash?

[QUOTE=CincyRob;2624304]not wanting to steal the thread here but have a question along the same lines as the original poster
i just ordered the LG WH12LS39
i notice mine has a 9 at the end different from the OP 8 is there a difference in these drives just from the last number change?
here is the link to the one i just got.

and do i need to do a FW flash on it? if so what is the advantage of the flash?[/QUOTE]Have a look in the MCSE thread starting here. It should answer any questions you might have regarding the firmware.

The difference with the 9 model is the ability to write to the new M-discs. You will only need to mod the firmware if you wish to remove LG’s rip speed lock for reading commercial BD’s.

I did not notice a read speed increase when I pached my LS38 with MCSE. (See my posts in the MCSE thread).

Regards

[QUOTE=jeff1948;2624315]I did not notice a read speed increase when I pached my LS38 with MCSE. (See my posts in the MCSE thread).

Regards[/QUOTE]

The read speed increase does work on the B/WH10 and 12 drives I have tried it on for BD’s. I suspect many of us are using modded Lite-on and other DVD-RW drives for 16x DVD+R DL ripping and haven’t used the LG’s as you are. You are right, it doesn’t work for commercial DVD’s.

Thank you for your confirmation.

Regards

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2624306]Have a look in the MCSE thread starting here. It should answer any questions you might have regarding the firmware.

The difference with the 9 model is the ability to write to the new M-discs. You will only need to mod the firmware if you wish to remove LG’s rip speed lock for reading commercial BD’s.[/QUOTE]

So unless I mod(change fw) on this drive I wont be able to rip the movie to my hdd’s? That’s a crock.lol I’m gonna go looking at the thread you provided.thanks alot.

[QUOTE=CincyRob;2624424]So unless I mod(change fw) on this drive I wont be able to rip the movie to my hdd’s? That’s a crock.lol I’m gonna go looking at the thread you provided.thanks alot.[/QUOTE]

As I’m sure you’ve found, LG doesn’t stop you from ripping them. It just slows it down a whole bunch unless you MCSE the firmware:rolleyes:.

I bought the LG WH12LS38 from New Egg back in Nov 2011 to go in my custom built digital music server. I was quite happy to discover that it would rip CDs in EAC secure mode at about 20X. And since I have been transferring thousands of CDs to my server, the prospect of 2-3 minutes per disc instead of 15 minutes (or more) was, well, awesome!

All was good until about 6 weeks ago when the drive failed and would no longer read discs (initially CDs and then DVDs). So I called up LG, had them cross ship a replacement, and a week later put the new drive in the server.

Except that it would only rip at about 1.2X. It turns out that they sent a BH12LS38 as a replacement, so I called them back up, described the slow ripping speed, and asked if they could send the same model I originally bought. Another cross shipment and I received what looks like a slightly used WH12LS38 (which I understand is identical functionally to the BH version). But it had the same slow ripping speed.

So I looked through EAC’s forums and discovered that many people are experiencing this problem. And did some additional searching that led me here.

I didn’t know that riplock even existed or that there were tools for pulling the firmware, patching it and flashing it back onto the drive. So I followed the directions elsewhere and did just that. And it all seemed to work EXCEPT the drive still rips slow using EAC secure mode.

Any ideas on what to try next? The difference for me personally is whether it will take another year to finish my digital media project or many years to do so.

[QUOTE=GetAmped;2637697]It turns out that they sent a BH12LS38 as a replacement, so I called them back up, described the slow ripping speed, and asked if they could send the same model I originally bought. Another cross shipment and I received what looks like a slightly used WH12LS38 (which I understand is identical functionally to the BH version).[/QUOTE]

The WH12LS38 and the BH12LS38 are identical in all respects (both hardware and firmware) but the name. The only difference between the two firmwares are 5 bytes or so due to the slightly different drive name and the different checksum as a result of that name difference.

[QUOTE=GetAmped;2637697]I didn’t know that riplock even existed or that there were tools for pulling the firmware, patching it and flashing it back onto the drive. So I followed the directions elsewhere and did just that. And it all seemed to work EXCEPT the drive still rips slow using EAC secure mode.
[/QUOTE]

Riplock has nothing to do with audio discs.

I can think of two possible reasons which could explain this speed drop: either some sort of software issue on your computer or maybe a difference in firmware between your old and the new drive … LG has recently released a firmware update for this series, and it might be that your replacement drives came with this new firmware on board while the old drive was still using the older firmware? If this is the case, maybe the new firmware has something to do with the speed drop you’re experiencing?

What firmware version has your current drive got on board? Load the firmware dump in MCSE and it will tell you.

[QUOTE=cvs;2637730]The WH12LS38 and the BH12LS38 are identical in all respects (both hardware and firmware) but the name. The only difference between the two firmwares are 5 bytes or so due to the slightly different drive name and the different checksum as a result of that name difference.

Riplock has nothing to do with audio discs.

I can think of two possible reasons which could explain this speed drop: either some sort of software issue on your computer or maybe a difference in firmware between your old and the new drive … LG has recently released a firmware update for this series, and it might be that your replacement drives came with this new firmware on board while the old drive was still using the older firmware? If this is the case, maybe the new firmware has something to do with the speed drop you’re experiencing?

What firmware version has your current drive got on board? Load the firmware dump in MCSE and it will tell you.[/QUOTE]

The firmware version that it came with is 1.00 (edit: MCSE info is Firmware Rev. “BD-RE BH12NS35 1.00-D2 060711” Bootcode Rev. “BH12NS35CORE”). I subsequently patched it with MCSE and flashed it with flasher. I even pulled the firmware from a drive I purchased for a friend around the same time and flashed it with that. There is a firmware update (1.01) for the drive available but I didn’t try it yet since I figured it would definitely contain riplock.

Well, if I know that it’s not a riplock issue, then I can focus on other avenues of troubleshooting. The box itself does not have much on it in terms of software. It’s primary purpose is to be the Squeezebox Server and CD ripping station, and secondarily a video/gaming platform. I use VLC VideoLAN to play ISOs of DVDs through the HDMI out, and it has Diablo 3 on it (also played through the HDMI out to a 37" Vizio HDTV via a Denon AVR-2311 receiver). And, of course, EAC (v1 beta 3) is on it. I’ve uninstalled and re-installed EAC several times hoping that would help resolve the issue.

I downloaded and installed the Nero DiscSpeed and InfoTool but they didn’t tell me anything new.

At this point I’m willing to consider purchasing a different/additional reader just for CDs if there’s one with a SATA interface that can get me back to that 2-3 minute per disc mark.