[QUOTE=cvs;2637730]The WH12LS38 and the BH12LS38 are identical in all respects (both hardware and firmware) but the name. The only difference between the two firmwares are 5 bytes or so due to the slightly different drive name and the different checksum as a result of that name difference.
Riplock has nothing to do with audio discs.
I can think of two possible reasons which could explain this speed drop: either some sort of software issue on your computer or maybe a difference in firmware between your old and the new drive … LG has recently released a firmware update for this series, and it might be that your replacement drives came with this new firmware on board while the old drive was still using the older firmware? If this is the case, maybe the new firmware has something to do with the speed drop you’re experiencing?
What firmware version has your current drive got on board? Load the firmware dump in MCSE and it will tell you.[/QUOTE]
The firmware version that it came with is 1.00 (edit: MCSE info is Firmware Rev. “BD-RE BH12NS35 1.00-D2 060711” Bootcode Rev. “BH12NS35CORE”). I subsequently patched it with MCSE and flashed it with flasher. I even pulled the firmware from a drive I purchased for a friend around the same time and flashed it with that. There is a firmware update (1.01) for the drive available but I didn’t try it yet since I figured it would definitely contain riplock.
Well, if I know that it’s not a riplock issue, then I can focus on other avenues of troubleshooting. The box itself does not have much on it in terms of software. It’s primary purpose is to be the Squeezebox Server and CD ripping station, and secondarily a video/gaming platform. I use VLC VideoLAN to play ISOs of DVDs through the HDMI out, and it has Diablo 3 on it (also played through the HDMI out to a 37" Vizio HDTV via a Denon AVR-2311 receiver). And, of course, EAC (v1 beta 3) is on it. I’ve uninstalled and re-installed EAC several times hoping that would help resolve the issue.
I downloaded and installed the Nero DiscSpeed and InfoTool but they didn’t tell me anything new.
At this point I’m willing to consider purchasing a different/additional reader just for CDs if there’s one with a SATA interface that can get me back to that 2-3 minute per disc mark.