LG WH12LS38 Woes

vbimport

Trying to update to the new firmware just released via the LG ODD tool for the WH12LS38 (Newegg purchase).

The LG ODD tool keeps failing, but I think I found the downloaded file it was trying to use, WH12LS38_I101.exe. I also verified it was the same that was on another site I found via Google.

Anyways, I registered here to just share the frustration… the LG ODD tool keeps failing saying it can’t update the drive. Upon manually launching the firmware tool, I can see why.

The thing says it can’t find the drive… there’s nothing in the drop down - nada. Of course, looking at Device Manager, there is… the exact model!

Before I email LG and get the runaround that they don’t know about this drive (I’ve had those runarounds before, trust me), is there anything else anyone can suggest?

Welcome to the forum :flower:

I’ve run into that problem before and ended up needing to move the drive to a different SATA port or SATA controller before it was recognized by the updater. You may even need to temporarily disconnect any other optical drive on that controller :rolleyes:.

This update is not for your drive, just read carefully…

Just wanted to chime in here and say just got this drive today and having the EXACT same problem as the OP! Can’t update firmware via utility (on the disc that came from the drive) OR manually.

chef, curious why you’re saying this update isn’t for this drive? The firmware updating utility that comes with the drive detects that it is, but there are no further details (reads as BD-R Prodisc 6x Support); it downloads, tries to apply, and fails for no real given reason. The manual file runs but doesn’t see the drive. The version the OP as well as myself found for the manual method is simply the same version the firmware updater suggests (1.01-D0).

If this update isn’t for this drive, I’m fine with that; just confused where you saw that or how you figured it out (and thanks for any clarification you can provide!).

(Other things I’ve tried by the way; safe mode installation; setting SATA to emulate IDE temporarily, etc. - nothing makes a difference as far as I can tell. I haven’t tried switching to another SATA controller, but I’m not sure that’s a reasonable option, and my computer sees the drive perfectly otherwise).

Maybe we’re overthinking this and this is just isn’t meant for us, but LG’s utility shouldn’t detect that it is if that is the case.

Mh, since you have a “desktop drive” this updater should work.
But because it doesnt work can only mean either:

1. LG messed up again an update.
  2. controller/driver setup prevents this drive update
  3. I101 doesnt really go along with 1.01.
  4. Time to hexedit it to achieve what LG prevented. :frowning:

Yep, the drive firmware that it tried to apply is definitely the firmware downloaded by the LG utility provided by the drive. It won’t see the drive at all.

Also, I’ve put the drive as the second SATA device, with the first being the hard drive. No dice. I also tried changing Windows to IDE from AHCI and then changing the BIOS. No dice. LG updater fails, and manually running the firmware upgrader it downloaded in c:\Program Files subdir fails (it won’t even see the drive).

Did anyone ever find out a way to resolve this issue? I’ve been trying to burn DL Blu-ray discs but I’m getting coasters on firmware version 1.00. I need to update to 1.01 but I can’t get around the “Can’t find the target drive” error.

I tried switching SATA ports to no avail. I’m running Windows 8. Any ideas?

Thanks!

[QUOTE=wenstinator;2706918]Did anyone ever find out a way to resolve this issue? I’ve been trying to burn DL Blu-ray discs but I’m getting coasters on firmware version 1.00. I need to update to 1.01 but I can’t get around the “Can’t find the target drive” error.

I tried switching SATA ports to no avail. I’m running Windows 8. Any ideas?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

You can flash the firmware using DevilsClaw’s flasher: http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?t=46137.

Backup/dump your current firmware first (both the main and core parts).

Then use DevilsClaw’s flasher to extract the main firmware from the 1.01 *.exe updater using the -r option. Next, flash the main firmware part to the drive and do a full shut down. You don’t need to flash the core part, so leave that alone.

WH12LS38 is basically just a BH12LS38 drive with a slightly different name. You could therefore flash it to the latest 1.02 BH12LS38 firmware, which is much newer than 1.01.

I had a similar problem updating to 1.03 from 1.00.

Failed twice with this:

I turned off Norton anti-virus and it succeeded.

For 20+ years now I’ve been told to turn off anti-virus before installing all sorts of stuff, but this is the first time it’s ever been necessary.