LG WH12LS30 is not yet in MCSE, but can I still remove riplock?

vbimport

LG WH12LS30 is not yet in MCSE, but can I still remove riplock?

Can i do it by using flasher to get the firmware from my drive, then use MCSE to remove riplock?
Or do I need to wait until this model is supported by MCSE?

Try it!

chef, I seen you around here a lot so if you say try it, I think I will. So just trying to remove riplock is easier than all that writing stuff? The procedure I wrote sounds about right?

I tried do do a firmware request, but the discinfo161 program did not work. I have Win7 64. I right clicked the exe file, did the properties, compatibility, Win XP SP2. Then it saw all my drives except for my burner!!

I have this same drive… Please let me know how it all works out beacuse I want to unlock it as well but I am to nervies to brick my drive. I really wish LG provided more support for this drive as well. Thanks

It worked !!! My drive can read about 50% to 100% faster. For BD ROM it reads at about 20 to 24 MB/sec. Before it read at about 12 to 15 MB/sec. Thanks for “flasher” and MCSE. This is great.

Which flasher do I use to read the firmware out of the drive so I can MCSE it?

Can someone give me a link?

[QUOTE=happyscrappy;2599868]Which flasher do I use to read the firmware out of the drive so I can MCSE it?

Can someone give me a link?[/QUOTE]
They would be right here . Just choose the appropriate version for your OS. Usage instructions are included for reading and flashing.

It may be hard to find the fact that MCSE can do riplock for “unsupported” or “unlisted” models - but it can, as in this case. After using flasher to get the firmware file, then I ran MCSE and it gave this nice notice:

Then after clicking OK, this screen below came up and I checked the box in the lower right portion for Read Speed Increase. “Read speed increase” is the same as “remove riplock”.

I hope that helps those of you who are a scared as I was about doing the riplock removal.

Found a firmware update (1.01) for a BH12LS30 on the LG web site. Would that be for the WH12LS30 drive also??? The WH being an OEM drive? The BH for a retail box?

Mine is a WH12LS30 model and look at my MCSE screenshot above: my firmware is BH12NS30 !!! Even though i got it out of my WH12LS30 drive using “flasher”. So it appears WH12LS30 models actually contain BH12NS30 firmware, as provided from the factory - at least for my particular drive.

But that does not answer your question about BH12LS30. It would be nice if anyone has a legend for LG model nomenclature. Characters 3 and 4 seem to be the speed (12x). Charter 2 is H and maybe means BD read and write. Characters 7 and 8 are: 30 = without software bundle, and 35 = with software bundled.

I loaded up the software that came with the drive. One item was an LG TOOL BOX. That went to LG and checked for new firmware updates and it DLed a firmware with the WH notation. I used MCSE on it and it took. I then uninstalled the LG TOOL BOX as it kept loading up at boot-up.

That seemed to work for me. I could not get the BH firmware update that I got from the LG site to load, but the WH that the TOOL BOX got worked.

Omi1000, what is your drive model and firmware models you speak of?

Take the one from the bottom of the list.
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 border=2><TBODY><TR><TD width=80 height=20>[B]Drive[/B]</TD><TD width=60 height=20>[B]Version[/B]</TD><TD width=60 height=20>[B]Date[/B]</TD><TD >[B]Comment[/B]</TD></TR><TR><TD>BE06LU10</TD><TD>YE05</TD><TD>090219</TD><TD>Write strategy improvement for new BD-R and BD-RE Media</TD></TR><TR><TD>BH08LS20</TD><TD>2.00</TD><TD>091222</TD><TD>Support Windows 7</TD></TR><TR><TD>BH10LS30</TD><TD>1.01</TD><TD>110707</TD><TD>-PRODISC BD-R SL 4x support
-CMC BD-R DL 6x support
-TAIYO YUDEN BD-R SL LTH 6x support
-MKM BD-R SL LTH 4x, 6x write quality improvement
-New BCA BD disc support</TD></TR><TR><TD>BH10NS30</TD><TD>1.01</TD><TD>110707</TD><TD>-PRODISC BD-R SL 4x support
-CMC BD-R DL 6x support
-New BCA BD disc support</TD></TR><TR><TD>BH12LS30</TD><TD>1.01</TD><TD>110813</TD><TD>-PRODISC BD-R SL 4x support
-CMC BD-R DL 6x support
-New BCA BD disc support
</TD></TR><TR><TD>BH12NS30</TD><TD>1.01</TD><TD>110813</TD><TD>-PRODISC BD-R SL 4x support
-CMC BD-R DL 6x support
-New BCA BD disc support
</TD></TR><TR><TD>BH12LS35</TD><TD>1.01</TD><TD>110813</TD><TD>-PRODISC BD-R SL 4x support
-CMC BD-R DL 6x support
-New BCA BD disc support
</TD></TR><TR><TD>BH12NS35</TD><TD>1.01</TD><TD>110813</TD><TD>-PRODISC BD-R SL 4x support
-CMC BD-R DL 6x support
-New BCA BD disc support
</TD></TR><TR><TD>CH08LS10</TD><TD>2.00</TD><TD>091223</TD><TD>Support Windows 7</TD></TR><TR><TD>CH08NS10</TD><TD>2.00</TD><TD>091223</TD><TD>Support Windows 7</TD></TR><TR><TD>CH10LS20</TD><TD>1.01</TD><TD>110813</TD><TD>-PRODISC BD-R SL 4x support
-CMC BD-R DL 6x support
-New BCA BD disc support
</TD></TR><TR><TD>CH10NS20</TD><TD>1.01</TD><TD>110813</TD><TD>-PRODISC BD-R SL 4x support
-CMC BD-R DL 6x support
-New BCA BD disc support
</TD></TR><TR><TD>WH08LS20</TD><TD>2.00</TD><TD>091222</TD><TD>Support Windows 7</TD></TR><TR><TD>WH12LS30</TD><TD>1.01</TD><TD>110816</TD><TD>-PRODISC BD-R SL 4x support
-CMC BD-R DL 6x support
</TD></TR>
</TBODY></TABLE>

Will removing the riplock also increase CD audio extraction speed with Exact Audio Copy? The LG Blu-Ray Burners are notoriously slow when it comes to digital audio extraction with Exact Audio Copy.

More info here: http://www.digital-inn.de/exact-audio-copy-english/39692-eac-slow-blu-ray-drive.html

Milan

Got this drive assuming it would rip faster than the 4x Lite-On I previously had.
After ripping a few BD’s I realized I never got over 4x.

Grabbed the 1.01 firmware from the above post, used MCSE to unlock it.
Stock it is completely silent. Unlocked, it makes some noise.

Ripped The Mechanic (Just main movie and HD audio) using MakeMKV. Started out at 5x and got up to about 6.7x. Half way through the disc it started slowing back down… Don’t know why. Ripped 23GB in about 15 min. Much better than before.

Could removing riplock cause damage on the drive in the future or am I safe? Will it have a higher error rate when reading or cause screw ups on my rips?

[QUOTE=BonzTM;2603359]Got this drive assuming it would rip faster than the 4x Lite-On I previously had.
After ripping a few BD’s I realized I never got over 4x.

Grabbed the 1.01 firmware from the above post, used MCSE to unlock it.
Stock it is completely silent. Unlocked, it makes some noise.

Ripped The Mechanic (Just main movie and HD audio) using MakeMKV. Started out at 5x and got up to about 6.7x. Half way through the disc it started slowing back down… Don’t know why. Ripped 23GB in about 15 min. Much better than before.

Could removing riplock cause damage on the drive in the future or am I safe? Will it have a higher error rate when reading or cause screw ups on my rips?[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the forum :flower:

You will find some variation in ripping time/speed from disc to disc. A result of disc quality and/or the overhead from on-the-fly decryption.

WH10LS30(same hardware) is still going strong after 1 1/2 years of ripping with modded firmware. It is a very capable reader, never had a bad rip from it. If you should have any trouble within the first year, LG commercial will replace it in a heartbeat.

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2603368]Welcome to the forum :flower:

You will find some variation in ripping time/speed from disc to disc. A result of disc quality and/or the overhead from on-the-fly decryption.

WH10LS30(same hardware) is still going strong after 1 1/2 years of ripping with modded firmware. It is a very capable reader, never had a bad rip from it. If you should have any trouble within the first year, LG commercial will replace it in a heartbeat.[/QUOTE]

Thanks deanwitty :bigsmile:
I’ve lurked for a little while on and off as needed, but figured I’d help out this time and let others know my progress with this particular model.

Awesome, that makes me feel a lot better about this drive. I just didn’t wanna screw it up because I was greedy for speed :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=BonzTM;2603359]
Could removing riplock cause damage on the drive in the future or am I safe? Will it have a higher error rate when reading or cause screw ups on my rips?[/QUOTE]

Are you asking about possible future mechanical damage due to removing the riplock? I’m asking b/c you mentioned the speed slowing down with The Mechanic?

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2603368]WH10LS30(same hardware) is still going strong after 1 1/2 years of ripping with modded firmware. It is a very capable reader, never had a bad rip from it. If you should have any trouble within the first year, LG commercial will replace it in a heartbeat.[/QUOTE]

Do you mean that removing the riplock and “ripping with modded firmware” does not void the warranty?

[QUOTE=borat007;2606471]Are you asking about possible future mechanical damage due to removing the riplock? I’m asking b/c you mentioned the speed slowing down with The Mechanic?[/QUOTE]

Yes, that’s what I was asking. If removing the riplock could cause hardware damage.

After applying the patch the drive does not spin faster than it would with a disk having data content instead of video content.