LG WH10LS30 or BH10LS30...whats the difference?

[QUOTE=airtonb;2569459]BH10LS30 = [B]supports recordable discs only.[/B]
WH10LS30 = supports recordable and rewritable discs.[/QUOTE]

Surely thats untrue info…

[QUOTE=chef;2569468]Surely thats untrue info…[/QUOTE]
Totally false info chef. :wink:

Hi alan,

I really wonder who spread such info…

I purchased the WH10LS30 and flashed it with BH10LS30 firware because it was more recently updated so i can confirm they are identical

Been meaning to ask, is the 1.00-09 firmware for the bh10ls30 drive the best option to use?
link here:
http://www.lge.co.kr/upload/SW_PDS/BH10LS30_1.00-09.zip

some say patch with riplock for best results… rpc1.org

[QUOTE=tmc8080;2578575]Been meaning to ask, is the 1.00-09 firmware for the bh10ls30 drive the best option to use?
link here:
http://www.lge.co.kr/upload/SW_PDS/BH10LS30_1.00-09.zip

some say patch with riplock for best results… rpc1.org[/QUOTE]

Yes it is.

The riplock patch just speeds up the read speed of the drive for some types of discs, and its got nothing to do with burning (if that’s what you meant by ‘best results’).

[QUOTE=cvs;2578598]Yes it is.

The riplock patch just speeds up the read speed of the drive for some types of discs, and its got nothing to do with burning (if that’s what you meant by ‘best results’).[/QUOTE]

Are you saying that the BH 1.00-09 is better than the WH 1.00-A9? If so, in what way?

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2578600]Are you saying that the BH 1.00-09 is better than the WH 1.00-A9? If so, in what way?[/QUOTE]

Nope! The 1.00-09 firmwares are in fact 1.00-A9 firmwares if you look inside. Why is LG calling them 1.00-09 instead of 1.00-A9 is anyone’s guess.

BH and WH firmwares are identical aside of a few bytes which account for the change in name and the CRC.

[QUOTE=cvs;2578602]Nope! The 1.00-09 firmwares are in fact 1.00-A9 firmwares if you look inside. Why is LG calling them 1.00-09 instead of 1.00-A9 is anyone’s guess.

BH and WH firmwares are identical aside of a few bytes which account for the change in name and the CRC.[/QUOTE]

I had concluded the same. Just checkin’ to make sure I hadn’t missed sumthin.

No need for anyone to crossflash WH to BH. Just run MCSE on the newest WH firmware and flash away :).

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2578787]I had concluded the same. Just checkin’ to make sure I hadn’t missed sumthin.

No need for anyone to crossflash WH to BH. Just run MCSE on the newest WH firmware and flash away :).

Already done :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=jamescooley1;2578788]Already done :)[/QUOTE]

:cool:

Does the LG WH10LS30 support disc quality scans ?

Not with Opti Drive Control. Not sure about Nero Disc speed…

[QUOTE=dvdit;2585270]Does the LG WH10LS30 support disc quality scans ?[/QUOTE]

NO, you’ll need either a LiteON or a Samsung drive for that.

[QUOTE=cvs;2585276]NO, you’ll need either a LiteON or a Samsung drive for that.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the quick reply. Which one do you recommend out of these drives:
Samsung SH-B123L @$70
Lite-ON IHES208-08 @$80
Lite-ON IHES108-29 @90
or do I need to look at a burner instead for a reliable test ? If so, which burner ?

I am looking for a drive with good rip speed and reliable disc scan quality performance. Thanks again.

[QUOTE=dvdit;2585280]Thanks for the quick reply. Which one do you recommend out of these drives:
Samsung SH-B123L @$70
Lite-ON IHES208-08 @$80
Lite-ON IHES108-29 @90
or do I need to look at a burner instead for a reliable test ? If so, which burner ?

I am looking for a drive with good rip speed and reliable disc scan quality performance. Thanks again.[/QUOTE]

All 3 drives are reliable scanners. You don’t need a BDRW unit from that point of view.

The iHES108/208 are almost identical in hardware ( 208 = 108 + Lightscribe hardware). For some strange reason the 208 is cheaper than the 108, rather than the other way around, which is quite funny …

On paper, the Samsung is a 12x drive while the LiteONs are 8x. However, as usual, the devil is in the detail…

If your main use of the drive is for BluRay ripping and scanning, then the LiteOns are in fact faster readers for BD-ROM discs. They will read BD-ROM SL discs at 8x (compared with the 6x of the Samsung) and BD-ROM DL discs at 4x (compared with the 6x of the Samsung). However the BD-ROM DL read speed can be increased to 8x with MCSE, so the LiteONs will read all pressed BluRay media at 8x while the Samsung will only do it at 6x.

If you’re interested to rip, scan [U]and write[/U] BluRay discs then have a look at the 12x LiteON iHBS-112/212 BD-RW. The price difference between those and the LiteON combos might not be that much … in terms of ripping they also do it at 8x and they are also reliable scanners.

[QUOTE=cvs;2585380]

If you’re interested to rip, scan [U]and write[/U] BluRay discs then have a look at the 12x LiteON iHBS-112/212 BD-RW. The price difference between those and the LiteON combos might not be that much … in terms of ripping they also do it at 8x and they are also reliable scanners.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the detailed reply. I have a Pioneer BDR-205 for writing duty ansd so far I am very happy with the result. Newegg has the Samsung SH-B123L for $65.00 today and the lowest price I can find for the Lite-On IHES208-08 is $85.00. IF they are both good and reliable scanners, seems like the Samsung is a good deal at this price. I like the firmware support for the liteons and the increase in rip speed, so I guess I may have to cough up the extra $20.00 for the Lite-On IHES208-08.

[QUOTE=dvdit;2585381]Thank you for the detailed reply. I have a Pioneer BDR-205 for writing duty ansd so far I am very happy with the result. Newegg has the Samsung SH-B123L for $65.00 today and the lowest price I can find for the Lite-On IHES208-08 is $85.00. IF they are both good and reliable scanners, seems like the Samsung is a good deal at this price. I like the firmware support for the liteons and the increase in rip speed, so I guess I may have to cough up the extra $20.00 for the Lite-On IHES208-08.[/QUOTE]

Yes that’s a very nice price, so I would say go for it … By the way, Samsung just released firmware SB04 for the SH-B123L yesterday (http://www.samsungodd.com/eng/Firmware/FWDownload/FWDownload.asp) :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=cvs;2585382]Yes that’s a very nice price, so I would say go for it … By the way, Samsung just released firmware SB04 for the SH-B123L yesterday (http://www.samsungodd.com/eng/Firmware/FWDownload/FWDownload.asp) :)[/QUOTE]

OK then, the Samsung it is. The firmware I see is SH-S223L_SB04. I presume the SH-B123L and SH-S223L are one and the same ?

[QUOTE=dvdit;2585386]OK then, the Samsung it is. The firmware I see is SH-S223L_SB04. I presume the SH-B123L and SH-S223L are one and the same ?[/QUOTE]

No, the SH-S223L is just an ordinary DVD Writer (and not a very good one either).

You need the second firmware from the top of the list: