LG Stopped Working (LG GSA-H55N)

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the LG GSA-H55N. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi Guys
My LG internal Burners got sick on me.
I’ve been using it about 6 moths now with no problems.
Mostly burning movies with Nero.
Recently i bought new blank Philips DVDs.
My LG burner never liked them.
'kept telling me the new box fresh disc wasn’t empty.
Fine, i thought i’ll buy my usual brand -TDK.
Now it won’t recognise anything - even audio CD’s.
Whatever i put it the light comes on, it spins for a few seconds and…nothing.
The drive appears in windows (XP) but no matter what i put in - windows tells me to “insert disk”
i tried removing the drive from device manager & updating/flashing firmware.
I’m at a loss???
Please Help any advice appreciated.
Cookie:(

[QUOTE=Cookiepus;2155156][qanda]This thread is about the LG GSA-H55N. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi Guys
My LG internal Burners got sick on me.
I’ve been using it about 6 moths now with no problems.
Mostly burning movies with Nero.
Recently i bought new blank Philips DVDs.
My LG burner never liked them.
'kept telling me the new box fresh disc wasn’t empty.
Fine, i thought i’ll buy my usual brand -TDK.
Now it won’t recognise anything - even audio CD’s.
Whatever i put it the light comes on, it spins for a few seconds and…nothing.
The drive appears in windows (XP) but no matter what i put in - windows tells me to "insert disk"
i tried removing the drive from device manager & updating/flashing firmware.
I’m at a loss???
Please Help any advice appreciated.
Cookie:([/QUOTE]

I just went through a similar thing with my GSA-55N.
You will find many things to try doing a Google search for “DVD-ROM troubleshooting”.

One of many checks: run MSINFO32.EXE. When it opens click on “System Drivers” under "Software Environment"
Check if both cdfs and udfs are Running. These are the CD and DVD file system drivers. If not:
Open Regedit and go to:HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services.
Scroll down to Cdfs and in right panel open “Start” and change to 2.
Then do the same for Udfs. REBOOT

Second you may have installed something that filters the use of some disks. Back up your registry and go here to learn how to remove filters: “http://www.theeldergeek.com/restore_missing_cd_or_dvd_drive.htm” .

Yet, the thing that worked for me was DVD internal cleaning and oiling.

Shutdown and remove the DVD drive. Remove the 4 Phillips head screws from the bottom and remove the bottom plate. Use a large paperclip to push into the small hole in the front to release the tray, and extend the tray all the way out.

Now take a flat screw driver to push in the three tabs that hold the face plate, and remove ( the tray will hold it ).

Remove the top cover. Inspect the inside. Take a can of air and gently (from a distance) blow out and dust, etc. Be careful not to damage the laser lens.

Look at the rails and worm screw that control the laser position. Clean these. I used WD-40 on a cotton cloth.

Time to lube. Silicone spray lube is good, yet my favorite is Dupont Teflon Multi-Use Lubricant. If using this follow instructions to shake well and let the Teflon dry after application.

You want to lube both rails and the worm screw.

Gently, yet firmly, move the laser sled back and forth the full extent of the rails until it moves very easily.

Now you gently clean the laser lens (90% isopropyl will do) and reassemble the DVD. Re-install.