LG/Samsung/Asus Writer Choices

Samsung 20x SH-S203N Sata
Lite-On 20x LH-20A1/3L Lightscribe & Sata
LG 20x GSA-H20L black Lightscribe & Sata

Between those 3 w/c of them has a better over all performance in DVD reading and writing, i dont really need the lightscibe feature nor superior CD reading/writing performance… just dvd read/write.

Anyone?

Im currently using an LG GSA 4163B ( IDE ) if it matters

[QUOTE=EarlZ;1973545]Anyone?

Im currently using an LG GSA 4163B ( IDE ) if it matters[/QUOTE]

I don’t trust Asus because of their poor quality disguised as “rock solid”. Typical con artists.

LG drives are reliable but are not feature rich, they can’t do disk scans for example.

I would go with Samsung as I have heard good words about their new drives, and that I own a lot of samsung electronics from monitors to printers, and they are all in good shape so far.

[QUOTE=Goit;1976339]I don’t trust Asus because of their poor quality disguised as “rock solid”. Typical con artists.

LG drives are reliable but are not feature rich, they can’t do disk scans for example.

I would go with Samsung as I have heard good words about their new drives, and that I own a lot of samsung electronics from monitors to printers, and they are all in good shape so far.[/QUOTE]

I disagree, ASUS are excelent drives. My LG scans beautifully! Really now.

[QUOTE=THE C.;1976344]I disagree, ASUS are excelent drives. My LG scans beautifully! Really now.[/QUOTE]

Their latest H62N doesn’t scan.

Secondly, I presented my experience so please live with them since there is no need for you to butt in here.

[QUOTE=Goit;1976352]Their latest H62N doesn’t scan.

Secondly, I presented my experience so please live with them since there is no need for you to butt in here.[/QUOTE]

:disagree:I disagree with you again, this forum belongs to all of us even my butt! I will keep an eye out for you and respond to all of your so called experiences! With your vast amount of experience I can see you didn’t read the rules to well, maybe you should! See you around… real soon. :bigsmile:

Posted by[U] THE C.[/U]
I disagree, ASUS are excelent drives. [B]My LG scans beautifully[/B]! Really now.

LG drives do not scan in the drive that burned the disc. You have scan them in a BenQ or a Liteon and that is not a very good indicator. LG drives as a whole are not scanners.

Im purchasing the drive very soon and all 3 drives are with in the same price levels, Im leaning towards a very good read speed in both movies and data on DVD and write speed is also a top concern CD writing capabilities barely matter to me anymore as i only burn dvd’s today… Wont i go wrong with either drive?

EDIT: I didnt bother adding the Asus model as i found out the price difference in their drives compared to the others is really huge.

EDIT2: currently using an LG GSA-4163B IDE so that should be a standpoint on w/c is the better drive

Hi Earl:
Currently I have the Samsung SH-203B, an LG GSA-H22N, a Pioneer DVR-115D a Pioneer DVR-212D and I’ve used the Lite-On LH-20A1 but it’s in a box under one of my desks right now.

The Pioneer DVR-212D and the Lite-On LH-20A1 seem to me to have the best read speed, not quite as good but still acceptable are the Samsung and LG drives.

Please note that my experience with the Lite-On on burning was pretty negative. It burned and tested bad six out of six dual layer disks of a brand that has over an 88% success rate in my Pioneer DVR-212D and LG H22N. Also three out of five Sony DVD+R also bad, after that I gave up and took in out.

I’ve also had problems using that same dual layer media in the Samsung, (standard single layer media works fine) however I periodically check for firmware updates for my drives and I just found an SB03 update and after flashing that I burned a dual layer disk and it seems to have tested error free so I hope that fixes the problem but one disk is hardly a conclusive test.

• Norm

Currently im leaning towards the LG after some searching and asking around, I just hope its not worse than my current drive

You must be joking my friend.
4163B was one of the best drives ever made.
There is nothing like this out there at the moment.
I have tried LG :), Asus :confused:, Samsung :slight_smile: , Pioneer :rolleyes:, LiteOn :confused:, Nec Optiarc :).
Some good here some good there but nothing close to 4163B :bow:. or 1640 from BenQ :flower:.

Hi :slight_smile:
Most folk would say that the LG 4163b was an excellent drive.
Personally if looking at IDE drives that are currently available.
Then, the Pioneer DVR-115(D) would be at the top of my list.

Im replacing it coz i need to move to a SATA drive already, im looking for an equally better drive and nothing worse in any aspect that the 4163B provides. I would assume the H55N is is on par with that drive ?

Hi Earl:

You can see the specifications for the GSA-H55N here:

http://www.lge.com/products/model/detail/gsa-h55n.jhtml

I’m sorry but the H55N is an ATA interface, for some reason LG seems to be behind everyone else in putting out sata burners. You can check their other models while you’re there but the H55N is their latest model and only 20X drive.

• Norm

[QUOTE=zebadee;1996351]Hi :slight_smile:
Most folk would say that the LG 4163b was an excellent drive.
Personally if looking at IDE drives that are currently available.
Then, the Pioneer DVR-115(D) would be at the top of my list.[/QUOTE]

Agree 100% :iagree:

I’m one of those who owned a 4163B also. Legendary drive :wink:

But if as you say you’re looking at an SATA drive, either the Sammy you mentioned or the LG H62N would be my picks. I have both.

Hi :slight_smile:
As you say you’re now moving to SATA.
I’d go with
#1 : - Pioneer DVR-215(D)
#2 : - Samsung SH-S203(B)(N)
#3 : - LG GSA-H62(N)(L)

Both Arachne and Zebadee are correct, I’m sorry to say that it appears that LG’s product pages are woefully out of date and searching their US site for “GSA-H62” N or L turns up nothing but I did find a third party review of that drive and it does appear to be a sata 20X drive. I’ve always had a good experience with LG so I don’t think that you could go wrong with it.

As to the Samsung, I’ve done some more testing since I updated to the SB03 firmware and the update has fixed the dual layer media compatibility issues I mentioned before so I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it.

• Norm

From the 3 drives I’d get the Liteon 20A1 followed by Sammy 203 and LG.
Leave the Asus out.

I think 62N is the best of the 2 but I haven’t tried 115. I wasn’t very pleased with the 112.

[QUOTE=chef;1996717]From the 3 drives I’d get the Liteon 20A1 followed by Sammy 203 and LG.
Leave the Asus out.[/QUOTE]

Exactly my opinion :iagree: