LG-RH7500 and DiVX / XViD & Dubbing to DVD

Hi All, thanks for looking at this. I’m sure the questions I have are pretty indicative of a newbie in this field and I hope you’ll be able to help me pretty quickly. Two Things:

1. My RH7500 does play back DiVX / XViD movies (one of the main reasons for buying it) but the only function available during playback is pause, and of course stop. No skipping backwards or forwards, no setting of markers. Is this right? Can more be added through a firmware update?

2. When I’ve recorded something to the HDD and want to save it to DVD I follow the instructions in the manual and dub the title to disk. But what if I want to add more than one programme to a single DVD? I really have RTFM, but can’t find a way to do it. Imagine you want to dub a series of six 30 minute programmes without having to use six discs. I don’t think that’s unreasonable.

Many thanks in advance for your replies … this really is appreciated!

Mark.

Welcome to the club.
What firmware does your machine have?
I have 60126a but cannot use the fast forward skip etc. on divx recordings.
I haven’t tried to put more than one program onto a DVD but I have joined two 1 hour programs together and burned it as one two hour film.
Regards.

Hey Weedougie, thanks for the quick reply and welcome!

I’m afraid I don’t know what my firmware version is, how do I find out? I don’t recall seeing anything about this in the manual, which is written in a rather annoying simpleton fashion.

I have thought about joining two or more titles together in order to burn them to a single disc, but that can make it hard to find individual episodes, especially once you have five or six titles being glued into one! :slight_smile:

One thing that the manual does mention is that there are two distinct ways of initialising discs, and although I forget the names used for these it did seem as though they were talking about a video DVD (like the ones you buy with movies on) and a data DVD with video files on (like you burn on the computer). Unfortunately the manual does not go into much detail about how to create the latter type, which would be good because I would actually prefer to copy my titles onto DVD as a series of AVI files rather than making a video DVD… assuming this is then possible.

But yeah, the thing with not being able to skip through DIVX movies is really annoying. I implicitly include such functionality under the heading of ‘playback’ when it comes to talking about DVD recorders in the same way that the term ‘driving’ implies turning and being able to stop when talking about the features of cars. Maybe somebody should tell LG. :a

Mark.

Hello again. I’m a bit phazzzzzed this morning but I will answer your enquiries as I remember them.

<I have thought about joining two or more titles together in order to burn them to a single disc, but that can make it hard to find individual episodes, especially once you have five or six titles being glued into one!>
If whilst playing you press the display button twice you get a side menu and in one of the windows you get a search to time, this can be to a second if that’s what you want to do. :slight_smile:

<One thing that the manual does mention is that there are two distinct ways of initialising discs, and although I forget the names used for these it did seem as though they were talking about a video DVD (like the ones you buy with movies on) and a data DVD with video files on (like you burn on the computer). Unfortunately the manual does not go into much detail about how to create the latter type, which would be good because I would actually prefer to copy my titles onto DVD as a series of AVI files rather than making a video DVD… assuming this is then possible.>

The initialising of a disc is for rewritable’s.
AVI files are ok, the machine reads them fine, however I’ve not tried to dub them to the HDD and then record them back to a DVD. I think if I understand you correctly that you want to record off air and then onto a DVD as avi’s. I think you can only do Mpeg files this way!

<But yeah, the thing with not being able to skip through DIVX movies is really annoying. I implicitly include such functionality under the heading of ‘playback’ when it comes to talking about DVD recorders in the same way that the term ‘driving’ implies turning and being able to stop when talking about the features of cars. Maybe somebody should tell LG.>

I agree, I thought that this machine would have this facility but given the compression algorithm this is probably not possible, but boy isn’t the quality good. I watched a film my son did for me on a CD (1hour 40 mins) as against a full DVD disc. :bigsmile:

Now as to recording 4 half hour programs to a DVD the LG has a crude menu and I believe that you can just set up the machine to record one program after another onto the DVD before finalising the disc so that it will play on any other player.
If memory serves me right the menu can hold 6 other titles on the DVD but this may be more if the first menu gets filled.
I would suggest that you “play” with the machine to see what is possible or not for your needs. I haven’t done this myself yet and would be interested in any results that you find.

As soon as I can remember how to find the firmware I will PM you.
If however you do a search there is a thread about the latest firmware and how to update your machine on this forum.

As a matter of interest are you from across the pond or local. :wink:
Regards.

Hey Weedougie,

< If whilst playing you press the display button twice you get a side menu and in one of the windows you get a search to time, this can be to a second if that’s what you want to do. >

Handy … I’ll have a look at that. I’d have to note the length of the programmes though, can’t see me remembering that kind of thing when I get a disc off the shelf after a couple of years.

<The initialising of a disc is for rewritable’s.>

Exclusively? Hmmmm. I was using RWs because I expected my first forays to produce only coasters, but assume that the type of disc you can create (video / video file on data) isn’t dictated by the medium.

<I think if I understand you correctly that you want to record off air and then onto a DVD as avi’s. I think you can only do Mpeg files this way!>

Yep. Doesn’t matter about the container format (AVI, MPG, etc) nor the codec, just as long as I can get a file rather than a video disc at the end. Up until now I’ve been making video discs and then ripping them on the PC, which is a fairly long-winded procedure just to get something that was on telly last night as a video file.

<I agree, I thought that this machine would have this facility but given the compression algorithm this is probably not possible, but boy isn’t the quality good.>

I expect you’re right in that it’s something to do with the compression of the codecs used, but they could at least give you the option of skipping to a definite (hell, even approxiamte!) time if they can’t manage a visual search. If every cheapo media player on any OS can manage it then it shouldn’t be a problem for a company that has the luxury of dictating not only the software on their device but also the hardware. Sorry LG, must try harder.

But yes, the quality is nothing short of stunning, partly thanks to the crummy resolution that is PAL. I’m running a 44" rear projection screen here and even titles that look a bit sketchy on the PC monitor (1600 x 1200) have a smooth, warm appearance on the telly. Very nice.

<Now as to recording 4 half hour programs to a DVD the LG has a crude menu and I believe that you can just set up the machine to record one program after another onto the DVD before finalising the disc so that it will play on any other player.>

Aha, this sounds like what I need. All my efforts to date (admittedly using RW discs) have not had the finalising step - it’s just dubbed the programme to disc and then spat it out as if to say ‘finished’.

<I would suggest that you “play” with the machine to see what is possible or not for your needs. I haven’t done this myself yet and would be interested in any results that you find.>

Therein lies the crux of the matter, I need to spend some time fiddling with this thing and getting to know it better. How naiive of me just to expect to find the answer in the manual! :smiley: Will have a dig around for the firmware stuff, I’m sure it’s on here somewhere.

<As a matter of interest are you from across the pond or local.>

Plum local me, 5 minutes from Heathrow in West London. Going out on a limb here, but you’re not Scottish by descent, are you? :stuck_out_tongue:

All the best,

Mark.

Yes I am Scots by decent but you have to go back a few generations to find it! The blood line having been diluted. LOL :bigsmile:
My eldest son on the other hand lives in the highlands having married a local girl.
We now have 3 hybrids 2 male one female. All are charming and speak with that soft highland accent.
I live in a small village in North Beds close to the borders of Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire. :cool:
You are right about LG they could have done better in particular having a digital free view tuner. I have a Humax pvr with such a tuner and find it handy to record programs on free view whilst watching or recording a film on sky.
I have rerecorded from the Humax to the LG so that I could make a DVD. Alas this does it in real time but as I set this up to do it overnight it’s not really a problem, the quality is very good also.
One of the most annoying traits of the LG is the fact that if you edit on the hard drive you cannot then fast dub to DVD but only record in real time.
I also find the machine quite noisy, noisier in fact than the Humax which of course also has a hard drive. But all in all I think the LG is good value for money.
Regards.

That would be why I can’t every dub at anything other than realtime, I usually set timer recordings a few minutes early and a few more minutes late so that I definitely get all of the programme I want, and then trim off the excess at either end. Guess that’s the reason for it taking so long to write to disc.

Will have another look at the manual shortly to find out how I can save recordings as video files.

Cheers Weedougie!

Mark.