LG RH177 - writer failed

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the LG RH-177. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I have a Lg RH177 DVD Hd recorder. It appears that the dvd writer in this unit has failed . I want to replace the writer, can anyone adivise a compatable Lg writer that will fit in this unit please.
Many thanks

Hi, I have exactly the same problem but have found this link http://www.ifndef.altervista.org/index_eng.html
It shows a repair involving taking parts from one DVD writer and adding them to your existing LG loader. I am looking to find the source of this link to see if this is all correct. If it is, the work involved would be worth it as these are a lot cheaper. Does anyone else know if this will work?

Did you try cleaning the lens and spindle?

I tried wiping what I think is the lens, but where is the spindle?
Thanks in advance for your help.

This is a pretty standard problem with these recorders. Eventually they will just stop playing different types of disc. I had the most problems with DVD-r’s. It always seems to play Original Disc’s but it does take a while to Read the disc. The problem is LG install crap DVD Drives.

A replacement drive from LG cost over £100 and is just the same piss poor quality Drive that was supplied in the machine.

Better to use the link here: [U]http://www.ifndef.altervista.org/index_eng.html[/U] and upgrade the Drive. You can get the drives off eBay for between £10 and £30. I used the LG GSA-H55N which is a reasonably easy fit. You need to take the insides of the GSA-H55N and build them into the case of the DVD Drive that came with the RH 177. The DVD Drive inside the unit has a weird case which stops you doing a straight switch.

The linked website has full instructions and photo’s of each step. Read the instructions through first and take your time and you will enjoy your unit better than new.:clap:

I have had the same problem my rh177, found the link as stated above. have installed a GH22NP20 lg drive as a direct swap removed base plate from old drive and fitted it to the new one had to change the drawer over and remove a piece of plastic inside the drive which stopped the drawer coming out (is not in the old one) all seems to be OK except it will not play certain pre-recorded discs says error “navigation fault”. I suspect that this is a software fault and am looking for the firmware, loader and bios updates, can anyone help with my search for these update files

regards

clive:clap::clap:

[FONT=Arial]Hi Clive

I am sorry to say I have recently discovered the very same problem with my LG GSA-H55N. It will play any ‘copied’ disc and only select purchased disc’s. Even ones it played previously.

At first i thought it was region coding mis-match between the new drive and the RH177 but I have reflashed the ROM’s to be region free for both the player and the drive but this had no effect.

I have even set both to ‘Region 2’ but still the same “navigation fault” on certain ‘Genuine Discs’ with no rhyme or reason as to why. I have looked at the Region Coding of the disc’s and there is no correlation there either. It will play Region 1 and Region 2 on some disc’s and then not others.

I have tested my LG GSA-H55N on my PC and it will read all the discs just not when its installed in the RH177.

The last thing I was going to try to re-intilize (restore to factory settings) the player using the controller but this will wipe out all the wife’s recordings and she wasn’t to happy about that. So I haven’t done it yet.

I was going to do this as it has to be an issue with the player as the drive works fine in a PC so the player is the only thing left. There is a lot of BIOS around and I have tried a few of them with no effect on this problem.

Any idea’s or solutions you can find would be gratefully received!:confused:

Workaround - Copy the disc’s using DVD Shrink and they will play no problem

Hi everyone,
i have an RH177 dvd-hdd recorder and my dvd burner packed up, I have fitted the internal parts from a GSA H10A burner to the existing drive as per conversion instructions from ifndef.altervista.org. I have set the jumper setting to cable select and my recorder now works perfectly indeed faster that it previously was, the techies on altervista say that they have heard that this drive does work but have not tested it. This is to confirm that this drive does indeed work with no firmware or software changes. Good luck if you still have your recorder and want to repair it they are basically a very good machine

regards cliverm
:clap::clap::clap:

Hi Clive

You said in your post you set the Loader Jumper to ‘Cable Select’.

Is this the only change from the instructions on ‘ifndef.altervista.org’. They say to set it to ‘Master’

Did you set the Jumpers on ‘GH22NP20 lg’ to cable select as well?

Do you think it was the drive which was ultimately the issue or the drive. I have had a quick look for a GSA H10A and haven’t had much luck yet.

Still trying to resove my issue.:doh:

hi dunncha.
I have used the insides from a gsaH10a drive as a host to repair the existing drive, the jumper settings you refer to on ‘ifndef.altervista.org’ refer to the gsa H22n drive. If you look at the compatible drive list under gsaH10n it says that this drive is reported to work with no jumper settings, when I fitted the gsaH10a drive i assumed that it needed to be fitted as a master but it did not work as a master then thinking along the lines of a computer with master and slave drive I thought that if the hard drive was the master then the dvd drive would be the slave so set it as cable select just to be on the safe side and the drive worked perfectly.I set the H22n as master but it did not work and did not try it as slave or cable select (but you could try this) As the drive did not write to dvdr +or - I assumed that the drive was damaged in transit and went for a different drive. I hope this clarifies things for you

regards

cliverm :):):slight_smile:

addition to last thread.
there is a GSAH10N currently on ebay at the moment, you could try this drive

regards cliverm

Hi Clive et al

Just to let you know I received the GSAH10N yesterday (ebay) and stuck it in and you are right works perfectly. So I think the advice from this point forward should be to use GSAH10N. Thanks for the pointer… i had just about given up on ever getting it fixed. I was looking for an email on ifndef.altervista.org to try and let the guys know but there doesn’t seem to be one, pity their information is spot on except for this bug.

for others reading this thread: The previous loader I tried worked reasonable well (LG GSA-H55N - See Navigation Issue above) I guess if you were stuck you could use it but for a perfect fix use the GSAH10N. Swapping the bits is a little fiddly but not too difficult just follow the instructions on ifndef.altervista.org. Its a good player apart from this one issue.

Respect to Cliverm for finding the perfect drive!

hello, I would like to know if the GSA H10N drive works on rh 177 that normally recorded and that reads all formats

hi tatra1
yes if you look at dunncha’s reply, I fitted a gsa h10A unit and it worked dunncha fitted a gsa h10n unit as per my instructions and his worked. The unit can be sourced from ebay quite cheaply or you may find one in one of the online computer stores Just follow the instructions on ifndef.altervista.org. to fit the internal parts of the drive to your built in loader and set jumper setting to cable select .

regards

cliverm

Please can someone direct me to or post the 60911A firmware (or even later firmware if applicable for my LG RH177). The polish LG site link used by people in the past no longer appears to have the software for download.

I have replaced my DVD after the original failed with an LG GH22 (loader version software 1.02) and the firmware in my RH177 is 60213A.
I am hoping newer firmware will overcome some navigation errors that I have at the moment

What are the ‘navigation errors’ issues you are having. Is it from the DVD or the player itself? I had ‘navigation errors’ but that was to do with incorrect loader and no bios I loaded had any effect on this.

A newer bios may unlock other functionality but In my experience it will not fix navigation errors. I tried everything to get my ‘H55N’ to work but in the end gave up.

Of course you may be having difficulty because you cannot make the drive multi-region or player multi-region

it was the gsa h22 unit that caused navigation faults vollum will have to swap to a gsa h10n or gsa h10n

cliverm:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Hi, I followed this thread with interest when my friend gave me his RH177 for repair. The problem is loader related, so I purchased the GSAH10N as it seemed to be the one that works “out of the box”. Unfortunately, my GSAH10N hasn’t been as successful as others. The recorder just displays “Please Wait” and goes no further. I tried all 3 jumper settings. I have hooked the drive into my PC to make sure it actually works, and all is well there. So, it appears the RH177 isn’t recognising my GSAH10N. My question is: do any of you know what version of firmware I should have in the H10N? Might that be the problem? Would appreciate any help you can give.

[QUOTE=dunncha;2497141]Hi Clive et al

Just to let you know I received the GSAH10N yesterday (ebay) and stuck it in and you are right works perfectly. So I think the advice from this point forward should be to use GSAH10N. Thanks for the pointer… i had just about given up on ever getting it fixed. I was looking for an email on ifndef.altervista.org to try and let the guys know but there doesn’t seem to be one, pity their information is spot on except for this bug.

for others reading this thread: The previous loader I tried worked reasonable well (LG GSA-H55N - See Navigation Issue above) I guess if you were stuck you could use it but for a perfect fix use the GSAH10N. Swapping the bits is a little fiddly but not too difficult just follow the instructions on ifndef.altervista.org. Its a good player apart from this one issue.

Respect to Cliverm for finding the perfect drive![/QUOTE]

hi paudie45
have you tried a factory reset with the dvd recorder installed and connected, did you take the gsah10n apart and re-fit it into the recorders drive as per http://www.ifndef.altervista.org/index_eng.html. I didnt have to change the firmware the drive just worked straight away

regards

cliverm

Hi Paudie45

I’m familiar with the problem you are having. The DVDr doesn’t recognise the Loader you have installed so when you start it up it continually looks for the Loader but doesn’t find it.

If the drive is working when you try it on the computer then everything with the rebuild must be fine so it must be an issue when you install it into the DVDr.

When it happened to me I found that I hadn’t stuck the power lead in far enough when I installed it. It is really tight and difficult to get in so just check that and of course the other leads. You may have just missed something simple. I did.

You may have also jogged the motherboard lead so check that as well. Try it with the lid off checking each connection individually.

MAKE SURE YOU UNPLUG THE PLAYER BEFORE FIDDLING WITH THE LEADS

As for the firmware I have tried many different versions and found no difference in any of them. Even the RPC1 (Region Free) patch hasn’t worked. My player is now region coded which it wasn’t before.

Give it a try and report back me and Cliverm will try and help as best we can.