LG rc797t dvd drive does not work any more

vbimport

I have gone through at least 5 of the LG DVD read/write combos and they have all done the same thing, the dvd drive slowly starts having problems reading burned DVD’s and eventually totally fails. I have gone through 3 RC797T’s and the last one is out of warranty.Is there an aftermarket drive that can be bought to replace the OEM?
I like the LG’s because they have the best user inter face of any DVD player I have ever owned and I have owned all of them.

I’m not aware of any drives that can be installed in your dvd recorder, but this isn’t an area that I know very well, so take that with a grain of salt. You can have it repaired, and the technicians will have access to replacement parts from LG, but the price is probably more than the unit is worth.

Have you tried cleaning the lens of the drive?

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2518168]I’m not aware of any drives that can be installed in your dvd recorder, but this isn’t an area that I know very well, so take that with a grain of salt. You can have it repaired, and the technicians will have access to replacement parts from LG, but the price is probably more than the unit is worth.

Have you tried cleaning the lens of the drive?[/QUOTE]

Yes I have, several times. I am a computer systems engineer so am quite comfortable replacing the drive, the problem is I don’t want another of the same drives. I am sure it will just die again. I figure there has to be an oem drive that will interchange with the drive that’s in this device.
Thanks for your reply Kerry.
Jim