LG mini f.a.q. (03/10/2008)

vbimport

LG MINI F.A.Q.

This mini F.A.Q. aims to address some of the commonly asked questions that apply to LG DVD-writers.

Credits: Thank’s to karangguni for his original F.A.Q.; The old F.A.Q. written by karangguni can be found [THREAD=168082]here[/THREAD].

If you would like to send feedback or contribute to this F.A.Q., please feel free to send me a private message.

Information is meant to be free, so you may copy this F.A.Q., adapt it, and do whatever you wish with it, as long as you follow the terms stated here.

<hr size=“1” noshade=“noshade” style=“border: 1px solid #006600;” />
<a name=“toc”></a>Table of Contents

[LIST=I]
[li]Chapter One: General LG features and technology (<a href="#Features">link</a>)[ol][]<a href="#Features-Chipset">What chipsets is LG using in their writers? And what are the characteristics of those chips?</a>[]<a href="#Features-bitsetting">Do LG writers support bitsetting?</a>[]<a href="#Features-Scanning">Do LG writers perform quality scanning?</a>[]<a href="#Features-Learing">Do LG writers have a learning feature like Lite-on or Benq?</a>[]<a href="#Features-Lightscribe">What is lightscribe and SecurDisc?</a>[/ol][/li]
[li]Firmware (<a href="#Firmware">link</a>)[ol][
]<a href="#Firmware-GetFirmware">Where can i find the official LG firmware for my drive, and how can I install it?</a>[]<a href="#Firmware-Backanndforward">Can I go back to a previous version of firmware?</a>[]<a href="#Firmware-Unofficial">What is the risk of using unofficial firmwares?</a>[*]<a href="#Firmware-Unofficial">Are there any unofficial firmwares and what are the benefits of using them?</a>[/ol][/li][/LIST]

<a name=“Features”></a>Chapter One: General LG features and technology<div style=“margin-left: 3em”>
<hr size=“1” noshade=“noshade” style=“border-top: 1px dashed #3399cc;” />
<a name=“Features-Chipset”></a>Q: What chipsets is LG using in their writers? And what are the characteristics of those chips?
A: So far LG are using chipsets that are made by Panasonic or Renasas, their positives and negatives are explained below.

Renesas

• 8x writing uses 6x->8x Z-CLV
  • Some 8x media can be oversped to 12x using 6x->8x->12x Z-CLV
  • 12x writing on 16x media is only available for 16x DVD+R media, not supported for 16x DVD-R media
  • 16x writing uses P-CAV
  • 18x writing uses CAV
  • 20x writing uses CAV

Panasonic

• 8x writing uses 4x->8x Z-CLV
  • 12x writing is available for both 16x DVD+R and 16x DVD-R media
  • 16x writing uses CAV (not as fast as P-CAV)
  • 18x writing uses CAV
  • 20x writing uses CAV

<div align=“right”><a href="#toc" style=“color: #999999; text-decoration: none;”>Table of Contents</a></div><hr size=“1” noshade=“noshade” style=“border-top: 1px dashed #3399cc;” />
<a name=“Features-bitsetting”></a>Q: Do LG writers support bitsetting?
A: Most of the LG writers allow you to change the booktype from your burning application (e.g. Imgburn or nero), but only for DVD+R and DVD+R DL.

<div align=“right”><a href="#toc" style=“color: #999999; text-decoration: none;”>Table of Contents</a></div><hr size=“1” noshade=“noshade” style=“border-top: 1px dashed #3399cc;” />
<a name=“Features-Scanning”></a>Q: Do LG writers perform quality scanning?
A: Unfortunately no. That’s something that many users have requested from LG, it seems that LG writers can’t perform quality scanning.

<a name=“Features-Learing”></a>Q: Do LG writers have a learning feature like Lite-on or Benq?
A: LG writers don’t have any kind of learning feature.

<a name=“Features-Lightscribe”></a>Q: What is lightscribe and SecurDisc?
A: LIGHTSCRIBE, A WHOLE NEW WAY TO LABEL YOUR DISCS.
LightScribe is an innovative technology that uses a special disc drive, special media, and label-making software to burn labels directly onto CDs and DVDs.
Because the labels are laser-etched—not printed—there’s no ink, no smudging, and no peeling.
Once you create your design, be sure to follow these three steps:

• Burn your data (music, photos, video, etc.) in the LightScribe drive.
  • When your data burning is complete, open the drive and flip the disc over.
  • Burn your LightScribe label. Remember, the same drive that burns your data burns your label, too.
    Text taken from http://www.lightscribe.com/, there also you can find more info about lightscribe, and lightscribe drivers.

SecurDisc Technology
With Nero 8 and a SecurDisc-compatible drive, you can burn CDs and DVDs with password protection against unauthorized access, or add a digital signature to ensure that your sensitive data remains unchanged. SecurDisc increases the readability of data even on damaged discs, and also lets you know when a disc is nearing decay, so you have time to save the data to another disc. The SecurDisc Copy Protection feature prevents unauthorized duplication of confidential PDF documents.

For more info on SecurDisc visit:

<div align=“right”><a href="#toc" style=“color: #999999; text-decoration: none;”>Table of Contents</a></div></div>
<a name=“Firmware”></a>Firmware<div style=“margin-left: 3em”>
<hr size=“1” noshade=“noshade” style=“border-top: 1px dashed #3399cc;” />
<a name=“Firmware-GetFirmware”></a>Q: Where can i find the official LG firmware for my drive, and how can I install it?
A: You can find the firmware for your drive at the official LG site www.lge.com or you can try the “new firmware and tool ANNOUNCEMENTS” thread here at CDFreaks. LG is providing their firmware in zip format so you will have to extract it first, you can use a lot of tools for this job (I will suggest the use of 7z since it’s free). After you have extracted you should have two files, one that will have the .exe in the end and the other will be something like Read me.TXT, you can follow the instructions in the read me file on how to update the firmware.

<a name=“Firmware-Backanndforward”></a>Q: Can I go back to a previous version of firmware?
A: Yes, you can. LG’s firmware updates do not include any form of version checking which prevents you from going back to an older revision of firmware. Simply reflash the drive with whatever previous version of firmware you want.

<a name=“Firmware-Unofficial”></a>Q: What is the risk of using unofficial firmwares?
A: 1. Using unofficial firmware will void your warranty
2. You could end up with a dead drive.

<a name=“Firmware-Unofficial”></a>Q: Are there any unofficial firmwares and what are the benefits of using them?
A: This is for advanced users.
There are a few unofficial firmwares, you can find them here http://tdb.rpc1.org/ also you can use MCSE to modify the firmware. (see …… for more info).

Usually you have the chance to make you drive Region Free and gain some reading speed, also some models can be crossflashed.

More details about MCSE can be found on the dedicated [THREAD=133858]thread[/THREAD].

<div align=“right”><a href="#toc" style=“color: #999999; text-decoration: none;”>Table of Contents</a></div></div>
<hr size=“1” noshade=“noshade” style=“border-top: 1px dotted #000000;” />Auto-formatted by FAQFormat65536 v1.1.3.

The suggestions and Feedback for LG thread can be found here.