LG last manufacturer to stop production of plasma TVs

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: LG last manufacturer to stop production of plasma TVs[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2009/10/panasonic-viera-v10-g10-s1-x1-series-plasma-hdtvs.jpg[/newsimage]

LG will stop production of plasma TVs at the end of November this year. The South Korean electronics giant will focus on production of LCD and OLED TVs instead

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/lg-last-manufacturer-to-stop-production-of-plasma-tvs-73361](http://www.myce.com/news/lg-last-manufacturer-to-stop-production-of-plasma-tvs-73361)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I see a deeply-discounted 60" plasma in my basement come 2015.

I really like the color spectrum of plasma but it always had an expensive price tag and very bulky units.

[QUOTE=SexyTec14;2739734]I really like the color spectrum of plasma but it always had an expensive price tag and very bulky units.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%

I’m a big fan of plasma, and until the weekend we were proud owners of a 37 inch plasma TV from Panasonic.

We went to buy a new TV on Saturday, in mind to buy a new plasma. When we got to the shop we had a browse around, and they did have a few plasma sets on display. But what caught our eye was Panasonics new range of IPS LED sets.

The one we bought was the [B]Panasonic TX42 AS650[/B], which has a simply stunning picture, wireless networking which works extremely well, and some very useful smart apps. It also has Freetime, which uses EPG for catchup TV.
It also is a stunning looking set, which is important to me.

We also bought a [B]Sony HT XT1[/B] sound base, and got rid of an old surround system.
We now have a neat, de-cluttered living space.

I guess plasma TV’s have had their day.

I still remember around 10 years ago where standing in the TV section of an electronics store felt like standing in front of a fire and some were even rather hot to touch. That was when most 42" Plasma TVs consumed around 400W, so if the shop had 25 Plasma TVs on display, that would have generated around 10kW of heat.

For comparison, more recent models use around 100W and equivalent size LED backlit displays use around 50W such as Dee’s above TV.

“still remember around 10 years ago where standing in the TV section of an electronics store felt like standing in front of a fire and some were even rather hot to touch. That was when most 42” Plasma TVs consumed around 400W, so if the shop had 25 Plasma TVs on display, that would have generated around 10kW of heat. "

Ah, memories. About that time our cable company started broadcasting the Christmas Fireplace. We had all of the sets in the shop on this chanel and the Plasmas’s gave the fire that realistic ambiance.
Also remember a bank of them overwhelming our aircondidtioning on a nice 30c day.

As wonderful as Plasma was, it’s time has run it’s course. The new LED sets use 1/4 the power or less and most importantly contain no Mercury. They’ve also reduced considerably my Ibuprophen intake! 55" and 58" Hitachi and Panasonic sets of about 8 years ago tipped the scales at nearly 100 kilos. Just hung a new 60" Sharp by myself, 26 kilos.
Just hung a new XBR49X850 (4k) in my own living room and while it doesn’t have that nice warm glow that my old LG Plasma had, it’s picture certainly doesn’t hurt my feelings any.