LG HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4167B DL13 :- 16x PCAV burning

[qanda]This thread is about the LG GSA-4167B. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hey guys.

I have a LG HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4167B with DL13 firmware.
I am using Nero 8.0.3.0. with Memorex DVD+R 16x.

This drive should be able to write at 16x using PCAV. When I burn DVD’s I only have the option to burn at 12x and it takes 7 minutes to burn a full DVD. I cannot see any options to set to PCAV and/or 16.0x and so I assume it is not something I can set.

I ran Nero DiscSpeed on the ‘create a disc’ test. It produced an average burn speed of 8x PCAV. When selecting the write speed options I had these choices: 12.0x, 12.0x, 8.0x, 4.0x and 2.0x. I selected the first 12.0x entry hoping it was supposed to read 16.0x. I am yet to try the second 12.0x option as I don’t have many DVD’s left to coaster, but I assume it would produce similar results.
My CPU is low, buffer high and I have no other applications open.

Any ideas why it’s burning so slowly and how I could better it?

Hello madrue. Maybe 4167B doesn’t like so much Memorex Ricohjpn R03 DVDs. I would suggest to you to try Verbatim 16x DVDs. Verbatim is a very accepted media, and LG drives generally loves them. So, try a Verbatim 16x and also try to take the last version of Nero CD-DVD Spped (4.7.7.16) from the site http://www.cdspeed2000.com/download.html. If everything is OK with Verbatim and 4.7.7.16 than could be clear that Memorex RICOHJPN R03 are not the best DVDs for this drives. As I remember even LG GSA-H42N/L, a very new drive comparing to 4167B, didn’t like RICOHJPN R03 to much at high speed recording.