Lg Hl-dt-st Dvdram Gsa-4163b

This is my main system spec. if u need any other info say what and i’ll post it. My PC had a problem with the DVD-ROM since i bought it. the problem is whenever i write a cd/dvd or copy from it the whole system slows down. even if no other application is active. 4 example i copy something and the only application active is winamp, then evem my music is tearing. and when i burn anything it takes very much. take 1.5 hour to burn a dvd on 6x.
i thought it was from the DVD-ROM but now i got a new one, LG HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4163B. the problem is the same. can anyome give me any advice? i got the latest firmware driver for it, the A106. i checked, all transfer modes are set to DMA if avalable.

heres basic PC info.
<table><tbody> <tr><td colspan=“3”>Motherboard: </td></tr><tr> <td>
</td><td>
</td><td>
</td><td>CPU Type </td><td>DualCore Intel Pentium D 945, 3400 MHz (17 x 200) </td></tr><tr> <td>
</td><td>
</td><td>
</td><td>Motherboard Name </td><td>MSI P965 Neo (MS-7235) (3 PCI, 2 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN) </td></tr><tr> <td>
</td><td>
</td><td>
</td><td>Motherboard Chipset </td><td>Intel Broadwater P965 </td></tr></tbody></table>
<table><tbody><tr><td> BIOS Type </td><td>Award (08/18/06) </td></tr></tbody></table>

What you are describing is a drive running in PIO mode, or a hard drive is in PIO mode. . If you have Intel Application Accelerator installed, remove it. Uninstall the IDE controller channel that the drive is on and reboot. Also make sure the BIOS is set for “auto” mode on all IDE drives.

BTW, it may show “DMA if available” in device manager, but the actual mode is displayed below that.

ok. i done as you said. i checked and there was an IDE controller set to DMA if avalable but underneath still said that the mode is PIO. i uninstalled it. checked in bios, all are set to auto, but when i reboot it reinstalls automatically the same way and the problem persits. any tips on how to get io to DMA?

If it persists and remains in PIO Mode even after uninstalling the IDE channel and rebooting, then I’d try a fresh IDE cable.

BTW, welcome to the forum. :slight_smile:

i had an other IDE cable sitting around in my old PC. tryed that one, still the same… maybe it’s the bus with the problem…i cant change that:sad:

Didn’t there used to be a DMA troubleshooting thread around here somewhere? :confused:

Intel Application Accelerator is well known for removing control over DMA.

Try this: Uninstall the entire IDE controller, then shut down. Unplug the IDE cable from the LG, then restart. Then shut down again and plug it back in. And don’t forget to look at DMA status on all drives, not just the LG.

And just to cover the obvious, you ARE using an 80-wire IDE cable, right? It would be identified as “ATA-100/133”. It shouldn’t stop DMA mode, but you never know.

EDIT: found these threads:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f61/troubleshooting-enabling-checking-dma-windows-vista-xp-2000-me-9x-101616/

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f61/fix-dma-turned-into-pio-problem-222229/

tryed the first link, it still resets to PIO after reboot.
now waiting for microsoft to send me the hotfix from the second link:D

even if i dont manage to fix it, thnx all for the quick responses and willingness to help

[QUOTE=folomega;2027874]tryed the first link, it still resets to PIO after reboot.
now waiting for microsoft to send me the hotfix from the second link:D

even if i dont manage to fix it, thnx all for the quick responses and willingness to help[/QUOTE]

It’s fixable, to be sure. BTW, the 4163 is an outstanding burner. Not a new model, but tried and true. I’ve got one here that’s retired.

Hi,

your drive is connected to a 3rd party controller by Jmicron. These are known to be problematic with optical drives. Also, LG drives are often not properly working with 3rd party IDE controllers.

What you can try: set the Jmicron controller to IDE mode in BIOS setup. Then uninstall the Jmicron drivers and let Windows install its own drivers. If this still doesn’t work, then you might try the latest Jmicron drivers from Jmicron*(you might also try the latest provided by MSI for your mainboard, but these are usually slightly older). Make sure, you installed the IDE drivers instead of the Sata drivers which are in the same package.

Michael