LG HL-DT-ST DVD RAM GSA H55N unable to read dvd videos

My LG HL - DT-ST DVD RAM GSA H55N is unable to read dvd videos. For example, I wanted to watch the romatic princess on my com but the drive unable to read and or explore it. When i load the LG writer solutions disc, it can autoplay. I am using windows xp. Can anyone help mi ??

[QUOTE=yangdaze;1989003]My LG HL - DT-ST DVD RAM GSA H55N is unable to read dvd videos. For example, I wanted to watch the romatic princess on my com but the drive unable to read and or explore it. When i load the LG writer solutions disc, it can autoplay. I am using windows xp. Can anyone help mi ??[/QUOTE]

Hello yangdaze
Welcome to CD Freaks you may want to start by uninstalling the drive in “Device Manager” then restart the computer Windows wil re-install it at startup and then try playing your DVD, if this does not work then post back and we can go from there

Thks for the reply!! I tried the uninstalling and restart usign windows to detect. The problems still exists, it keeps running and running ans still cannot explore or autoplay…

[quote=yangdaze;1989216]Hello yangdaze
Welcome to CD Freaks you may want to start by uninstalling the drive in “Device Manager” then restart the computer Windows wil re-install it at startup and then try playing your DVD, if this does not work then post back and we can go from there[/quote]
Thks for the reply!! I tried the uninstalling and restart usign windows to detect. The problems still exists, it keeps running and running ans still cannot explore or autoplay…

Hi Yangdaze…

Will the drive not read [I]any [/I]disc eg… dvd cd’s ?

Also what software is on the solutions disc…?

Is it a new drive you have just installed?

or has the problem just started.?

The reason I ask is because when I bought my LG drive a couple of years ago it did the same thing… I read the small print on the installation booklet which stated that I had to install nero from the solutions disk before installing the drive…

So I had to put my old drive back in… install nero and then install the new lg drive… works perfectly ever since… strange I know but hey…

[quote=Seven of Nine;1989549]Hi Yangdaze…

Will the drive not read [I]any [/I]disc eg… dvd cd’s ?

Also what software is on the solutions disc…?

Is it a new drive you have just installed?

or has the problem just started.?

The reason I ask is because when I bought my LG drive a couple of years ago it did the same thing… I read the small print on the installation booklet which stated that I had to install nero from the solutions disk before installing the drive…

So I had to put my old drive back in… install nero and then install the new lg drive… works perfectly ever since… strange I know but hey…[/quote]

Hihi! The drive is able to read those dvd-r and can burn data dvds. The software on the disc is Nero 7 essentials. Its a new drive which i juz installed. I found out the problem only when i started to play dvd videos on my drive. So i muz install nero first den the drive is it ?? But i uninstall the drive under device manager and restart my com but still no effect. Does it mean i have to physically remove the drive and reinstall Nero …

Hi yangdaze…

The fact that the drive can read some and actually burn a disc tells me that your’s is not the same problem I had with my original lg drive.

I can only suggest you read the installation guide that came with the drive and see if you can find a small note (fine print) regarding the software being installed first. If you did it that way then I am out of suggestions.

sry.

Got another idea that’s worth a shot …

If you have another machine try the drive in that and see if it works there. It’s easy for me cause I’ve got a couple of others here.

OR fit another drive from another machine thats working and try it in yours…

At least it’ll narrow the problem down a bit more.

I follow thr the instructions and did not work… I do not have another com at my hse maybe i juz haf to test it with the help of my friend… Thks for everything if it cant read dvd videos i guess its fated…

When you say it reeds and burn DVD-R, can you play those?
Di you try to play commercial disk on you drive when it did not play?
If you go to My Computer(right click)-Properties-Hardware-Device Manager, is your drive there?

[quote=CDuncle;1990776]When you say it reeds and burn DVD-R, can you play those?
Di you try to play commercial disk on you drive when it did not play?
If you go to My Computer(right click)-Properties-Hardware-Device Manager, is your drive there?[/quote]

Yes it does. What do u mean by commercial disk??
My drive is there all along. its says dvd ram drive

Does the disc have a regioncode set?

Currently it is set to region 3. I m not sure wat region it is but i left with 3 changes…

sounds like exactly the same prob i am having. same model drive same prob, cant recognise dvd movies at all. if i have any success i will let you know and i would appreciate it if you could let me know if you have a breakthru. nigel_smith1@optusnet.com.au

This has been going on for some time on both the H54 and H55. It says, in very fine print, on the installation instuctions to install the software before you install the drive. At least pull the plug on the drive before you install the Nero 7 and online update.

LG says firmware corruption by the Nero install but I’m not sure thats all there is to it.

My H54 had to be replaced with an H55 to restore my DVD-Video play capability. It had nothing to do with the OS.

Do a search on my user name ’ [B]DLW[/B] '
you can read the whole story. In the LG forum.