LG H58N written disc is unreadable in other drivers

DVD discs burnt with my new LG H58N writer is unreadable at other dvd drivers.

I have burnt some dvd video discs (in Linux), and, although the dvd player has no problem reproducing them, I cannot read the discs at other dvd drivers.

Any clues?

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

It seems a typical low quality disc issue. Because of LG drives are excellent readers of bad burned discs, this can explain why the LG is the only drive able to read the discs.

Try again using quality proven media, like Verbatim. In most of cases this solve :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=geno888;1999296]Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

It seems a typical low quality disc issue. Because of LG drives are excellent readers of bad burned discs, this can explain why the LG is the only drive able to read the discs.

Try again using quality proven media, like Verbatim. In most of cases this solve :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the welcome.

I do not think it is a low quality disc issue. I have been using this same brand for years in my previous burner (LG GSA-4163B) and in my notebook driver (LG GSA-T10N) without problems. It is indeed one of the best brand I have already used.

Reading the disc have failed on the LG GSA-T10N driver and on a Samsung driver. They are not even seen as a written disc by the operating system. The disc cannot be mounted on Linux as if it was blank, and readcd reads just 1 sector.

Nonetheless I will try another disc brand.

Why dont you tell us the brand and the Mediacode :wink:

[QUOTE=Womi;1999375]Why dont you tell us the brand and the Mediacode ;)[/QUOTE]

It is a RIDATA dvd-r. Regarding the mediacode, I will have to learn how to get it on Linux (any hints?) (or even Windows). As I am in a hurry now, it will have to be tomorrow.

Here is the information about the media:

Unique Disc Identifier : [[B]DVD-R:RITEKG05[/B]]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name : [Ritek Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [RITEKG05]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4.71 GB (4.38 GiB)]

[ DVD Identifier V5.0.1 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

Ritek media are well known to be unreliable discs :frowning:

RitekG05 is known to degrade very fast.
They should be fine after burning though, but you can expect them to be unreadable after 2 - 12 months.

I just started duplicating DVD’s on a set of 8 LG Burners - 3 are LG GSA H42N and 5 - LG GSA H58N. And to my surpise I got the same problem. All recorded DVDs open - a bit slower compared to others, but however run normally - on a home DVD player (Toshiba). When I try them on a computer DVD (LG GSA H4166B) - those discs recorded on H42N’s open normally, and the others - from the H58N’s do NOT start at all. Media Player Classic reports “could not find DVD directory”.

So this problem is obviously not due to bad media.

I noticed that the H58N writer utilizes Securdisc technology (opposite to H42N) - could this be in connection with the problem?

Or maybe firmware update could help? However there is still no update released by LG.

I have just found a firmware update for the LG GSA H58N driver in the LG site:

Model:GSA-H58N
Ver:1.03
Improvement Point
-. Improve Writing Quality for new media

I hope the problem goes away with this firmware upgrade.

Hey thanks! We already got back to the H55N model, updated the firmware and hope to have no problems.
So far we just made a test copy and it played well on an LG GSA 4166B.
Hope that update will solve the problem with those H58N’s of other users.