LG H55N - no secondary ide, how do i flash a firmware

Hi folks,
I would like to flash the new firmware for my H55N however the flash program only works on the secondary ide port with the drive in master position.
I am running linux on an ASROCK NF7g-hdready mainboard with only one ide channel.
Is there some other way to flash the firmware to the drive.
I have had no response from LG regarding this and expect that the answer from them will be install windows and get a mainboard with 2 ide channels.
thanks for your replies

[QUOTE=fishbowls;1974239]the flash program only works on the secondary ide port with the drive in master position.[/QUOTE]
I have no doubt that it also works as slave on the first IDE port. Just try it.

ala42:
thanks for your reply
i have since posting tried on the slave and master positions on the primary ide.
but it does not find it.
i have emailed lg and this is what they said…

-----------Reply to Customer Enquiry------------
At this time, the only way to update the firmware of our drives is the method provided on the website. We are currently working on additional support.

Really ? The flasher even detects a virtual drive as valid target if I patch the drive name in the flasher. Did you also try a MCSE patched flasher in stand alone mode ?
EDIT: Details how to patch a H5x flasher are here.

i will try again in the daylight tomorrow to use the flasher from the lg website on both the primary’s master and slave connectors with the drive appropriately jumped.
i will look into your PATCHED flasher method too.
and thanks for all the help
i sure wish lg was as helpfull

Hi,[QUOTE=fishbowls;1974807]i will try again in the daylight tomorrow to use the flasher from the lg website on both the primary’s master and slave connectors with the drive appropriately jumped.[/quote]
Please note, this drive likes to be connected via an 80wired flat ribbon IDE cable not exceeding 18" (46cm).
Also, if it shall be set as Slave, then it must be connected to the second connector of the cable, and of course a Master drive must be present.

Another idea:
Try either the very latest chipset driveers from Nvidia.com or uninstall the IDE driver only (there is a link to the Nvidia chipset drivers installer in Control Panel -> Add/Remove Software) and let Windows install its own drivers.

Michael

[QUOTE=fishbowls;1974239]I am running linux…[/QUOTE]

Have you tried setting a different Windows Version in winecfg (e.g. Windows 98)?

thanks for your replies:
mciahel: you have great points however i only run linux here

Cressida: your idea of another windows version is great. i only tried with wine set to winxp…
i will indeed have wine-doors set me as win98 or 2k and try that way.
but i think i will end up having to borrow an xp disk and make a bartPE disk to try the standalone flasher as has been suggested by ala42

Hi,[QUOTE=fishbowls;1975018]thanks for your replies:
mciahel: you have great points however i only run linux here[/quote]:eek: oops! I missed that somehow :doh: :o

If you are planning to try the firmware upgrade from BartPE, don’t have the disc in the drive you want to flash.

Michael

mciahel:
thats an awesome point
since i have never used bartsPE, i have no idea if i can even get it to eject.
i have a cdrom drive here i can install if bartsPE does not release the drive once it boots up.
this is all just a real pain.
Cressida’s suggestion of trying a different os version in WINE failed to have a successful outcome. the flasher program runs and displays a window that NO IDE ports were visible. Which is probably a Wine configuration issue and not a WINE issue itself but beyond my expertise to correct.
thanks all for the help

Hi,[QUOTE=fishbowls;1975048]
thats an awesome point
since i have never used bartsPE, i have no idea if i can even get it to eject.[/quote]You can’t. It’s very similar to Knoppix or other live CDs. The disc has to be inserted during the whole session.

i have a cdrom drive here i can install if bartsPE does not release the drive once it boots up.
Install that old CD-ROM and run BartPE from there. Put the firmware stuff onto an USB stick and run it from there.

this is all just a real pain.
:iagree: Maybe it’s easier to install the drive into another computer that runs Windows and flash it there.:frowning:

Michael

How about running as root, could also be a rights issue on your system.

I don’t have an LG drive installed, but this is an example with Wine set to Win98 and Win2K respectively (normal user). I think it would work as Win98 here, default Wine installation from RPM on openSUSE 10.2.

mciahel
i agree this is becoming a serious pain in the back
im yanking that drive
walking it over to the SHOP AROUND THE CORNER who will gladly flash it for me.
Thank you all for the suggestions and help.
besides i did not wanna pull that old dusty winxp cd out of the box of garbage in the basement anyhow.
i think it would be nice if LG were to at least offer a DrDOS compatible exe.
or just port the windows binary to linux or make the source available.

Cressida:
those are beautiful screens you took.
before i yank the drive to take to the store and have them do it.
i will indeed switch to root and try from there.
the window i got previously was the one on the right
NO ATAPI DEVICE FOUND
but great idea about doing as root
DUH I am an idiot
thanks

[quote=Cressida;1975079]How about running as root, could also be a rights issue on your system.

I don’t have an LG drive installed, but this is an example with Wine set to Win98 and Win2K respectively (normal user). I think it would work as Win98 here, default Wine installation from RPM on openSUSE 10.2.[/quote]

Cressida:
su’d to root
but roots wine also fails to let the flasher find my lg writer.
i am not going to mess with the permissions.
im off to the shop around the corner and just flash it natively in a windows environment.
again thanks for the help

Sorry it didn’t work. I almost forgot you have an IDE burner, which Wine gets stuck on. Myself, since I put a SATA burner in my PC and use my old IDE drives on USB or FireWire, I can do pretty much anything with them - except for high-speed burning/ripping, which I’m not too concerned about.

You may want to delete the hidden .wine folder in your root home directory (which was created by running Wine as root) to keep it clean. Hope the shop got it fixed for you in the mean time.