LG H55N doesn't read DVD-R

vbimport

I have a LG H55N, and I can not get it to read DVD-Rs. Normal DVD’s work fine however. I tried updating the firmware from 1.3 to 1.5, but there was no improvement.

Upon inserting a DVD-R with data on it, it tells you it is a blank DVD, with 0 bytes used, 0 bytes free.

There was another thread about this, but their problem was due to Alchohol or PowerISO, and I don’t have any programs like that on this computer.

I’ve removed the drive and used it in other computers with the same results, so the problem is in the drive itself.

What program are you using to read the data? Have you tried Imgburn?

I’m just right clicking on my D: and going to properties.

Do you have another drive to try the disc in? Do you get the same results with data from a DVD+R?

Ive tried three DVD-Rs, two with data one without. They all gave the same result.

Ive also tried several games and movies, these work fine.

I have used both DVD Rs that had data on them on other PCs, so I know they work.

Have you unistalled the drive via Device Manager and rebooted?

No, I’ll try that, but I moved it to a computer that it had never been installed in, and I got the same error.

Edit: No luck with that, It still thinks they are blank 0kb CDs

[QUOTE=Laserpanda;2019482]No, I’ll try that, but I moved it to a computer that it had never been installed in, and I got the same error.

Edit: No luck with that, [B]It still thinks they are blank 0kb CDs[/B][/QUOTE]

That would be normal with BLANK DVDs.

Have you Alcohol or InCD installed?

No, It is has a 4GB game on it that shows up fine on other drives, but it wont read at all in this drive.

I don’t have alchohol, or InCD

[quote=Laserpanda;2020530]No, It is has a 4GB game on it that shows up fine on other drives, but it wont read at all in this drive.

I don’t have alchohol, or InCD[/quote]

I saw your post while browsing around google.

Just bought a GSA-H55L to replace my LDW-411S and I’m having the same problems as you are. All the DVD-Rs burned by my Lite-on don’t read on the LG for some reason; the only exception I have are a few random DVDs that I popped in and kept on hitting F5 to refresh, then the disc capacity shows up and I can read the disc normally. The method mentioned only works on some of DVD-Rs and it does not work all the time.

For further testing, I burned a test DVD-R with the LG, popped it in the Lite-on to read, and it works! Not sure why though.

Currently running:

Media:
FujiFilm 8x DVD-R (Made in Taiwan)
ManuID : Fujifilm03
4.7 GB

DVD Burner #1:
Lite-on LDW-411S

DVD Burner #2:
GSA-H55L

Any Ideas?

I’ve been using Nero thru and thru on both drives.