LG H22L (internal) odd errors in XP, not W2k

Ok, my LG H22L internal dvd burner is only a few days old (gotta love christmas and dropping hints to the wife -well, if hints mean printing out the product pdf with prices and locations -grin)
Ok, business. Running under W2k, the drive works without any issues -I love it, and it burns DVD+R (booktype set to -rom) disks that every dvd player seems to read happily. Good deal. But when I switch to XP Pro (SP2, and all the latest updates/security ups etc ) it has issues.
I’m using IMG Burn (as well as the last DVD Decrypter, and NERO, etc) on both Op systems. The Nero will just crash after an error is given (in XP). The IMGBurn gives the following, and then continues to burn the image to the disk with no apparent problem:

I 21:07:14 BURN-Proof: Enabled
I 21:07:14 Filling Buffer…
I 21:07:15 Writing LeadIn…
W 21:07:24 Failed to Write Sectors 0 - 31 - The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.
W 21:07:24 Retrying (1 of 20)…
W 21:07:24 Retry Failed - Power On, Reset, or Bus Device Reset Occurred
W 21:07:24 Retrying (2 of 20)…
W 21:07:30 Retry Failed - The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.
W 21:07:30 Retrying (3 of 20)…
W 21:07:34 Retry Failed - Power On, Reset, or Bus Device Reset Occurred
W 21:07:34 Retrying (4 of 20)…
I 21:07:34 Writing LeadIn…
I 21:07:36 Writing Image…

Now, if I try to burn a CD-R instead, it times out (after 20 of 20 errors) and gives up. Sometimes it makes a coaster, sometimes it doesnt. But with the DVD-r I get what I posted above. Nero won’t allow me to set a number of re-trys and just gives up the burn (the workaround so far is to get Nero to make an image, then burn it with IMGburn or DVDDecrypter)
At first, I figured I had a bad or dying burner, but when I switched (have a swappable main harddrive to change OS back and forth) back to Windoze 2000, the drive behaves perfectly, no issues.

The LG is my primary DVD burner (set as master), a Sony 710 resides as a slave -its not a good source to troubleshoot since it doesn’t burn too well anymore -but reads just fine, so it lives on.
The firmware is up to date. The computer has plenty of resources and I’m not overburdoning it with anything during the burn.

I hope someone can help figure this one out.
Thanks in advance!!
-Nightbiker.