Lg H20 or H62N?

vbimport

My pioneer 112 is dying on me, and I need to replace it, I’m looking for a sata burner since I think there’s no point in buying a IDE burner now.

I’ve looked around and the only 2 I’ve found in stock are the LG H20 and the LG H62N.

Which one of those is better? or should I wait to find another sata burner that’s better?

I burn lots of dvds, around 200 each month because we do a lot of video editing and archive all of our video on dvd, so I need a good dvd burner that can take heavy duty, be reliable and last for a long time.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to CDF :smiley:

LGs, in my own experience anyway, are very robust and reliable drives.

I don’t have any experience of the H20, so can’t comment there, but we have the H62N and it’s a great DVD burner - assuming you’re going to be feeding it quality media of course :slight_smile:

In this day and age though, with burners selling so cheaply now, nothing will last an uber-long time, I would think. :wink:

Thanks Arachne.

I’ll give the LG H62N a chance, because I’m not very happy with the pioneer burners, I’ve had 3 pioneers and none of them have lasted for more than 9 months.

[QUOTE=OniShiro;2007982]Thanks Arachne.

I’ll give the LG H62N a chance, because I’m not very happy with the pioneer burners, I’ve had 3 pioneers and none of them have lasted for more than 9 months.[/QUOTE]

Sounds weird.
If it werent over-normal-usage then maybe there is some problem with heating or the PSU?

[QUOTE=OniShiro;2007982]Thanks Arachne.

I’ll give the LG H62N a chance, because I’m not very happy with the pioneer burners, I’ve had 3 pioneers and none of them have lasted for more than 9 months.[/QUOTE]

Good choice :)…but I too am surprised about your experiences with the Pioneers - those are the other drives I would have recommended for general robustness (and getting on with all kinds of media).

I don’t know, I don’t think it’s a problem with the PC, my power supply is a Tagan 550W which is quite good and it doesn’t gets very hot.

Before the 2 pioneers 112 that I have now, I had a 111 that also died, before that I had a NEC 3520A which I retired because I needed a faster burner with DL support but it was still working fine even thought it got a lot of usage, I still think the NEC 3520A is the best burner I’ve owned.

Only thing I can think of is that I always verify my burns which means that the laser gets a lot of usage, and that I use the dangerous brothers RPC1 firmware on my pioneers, maybe it’s something about that firmware that overexerts the burners.

Dangerous Brothers firmware is perfectly safe and wouldn’t cause a drive to fail - I use it on an older LG that I have and the drive’s still up and running :slight_smile:

Edit: All that verifying, if you’re doing it on every (or almost every) disc, may well be playing a part in your drives failing prematurely.

Forgot about NEC, yeah those are pretty rugged drives also. :iagree:

[QUOTE=OniShiro;2008088]
Only thing I can think of is that I always verify my burns which means that the laser gets a lot of usage, [B]and that I use the dangerous brothers RPC1 firmware on my pioneers, maybe it’s something about that firmware that overexerts the burners.[/B][/QUOTE]

That surely not.
But my Tagan currently died because of BURST failures, slowly approaching > BSOD all the way. :frowning:
So I had to replace it. A friend ofmine too, he RMAd a 800 and got a 900W.

The H62N is out of stock, they only have the H20NS.

Anyone have any experience with the H20NS?

The GH20 is newer and would be my choice over the older models anyway. Check out the relevant scans threads in the LG section if you want more info.

GH20N/L: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f91/lg-gh20n-l-post-your-scans-questions-here-230408/
GSA-H62N/L: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f91/lg-gsa-h62n-l-post-your-scans-questions-here-214688/

I just ordered the H20SN thought I’ve seen it’s not too good with the media I normally use ( TDK -R 16X TT02 ).