LG GWA-4165B general opinion?

vbimport

What is your general opinion about the LG GWA-4165B drive? I have it in my powermac and was thinking about swaping it out for a Pio 110D. Almost only interested in burn quality to TYG02 media (eventually MCC 03RG02).

Thanks!

The GWA-4165B is a an unusual OEM model that I haven’t actually heard of before. I have a funny feeling these drives only ever appeared when bundled with powermacs. Because of this, I suspect you might not be able to get much feedback about it from others.

Possibly the best way to find out about its burn quality for those two types of media is to actually burn a disc of each with your GWA-4165B, then pass them to a friend with a decent scanning drive (BenQ DW-164x/165x, most recent Lite-On writers, certain Plextor models) and ask him to do a quality scan of the discs for you.

Ok, thanks! I can scan the discs myself as I also own a DW1640. I just took out and already replaced the LG from the powermac with a Pio 110D without burning any disc with it, but may put it in and test it in another PC just to test it.

The LG GWA-4165B is a DL burner which writes 16x DVD+R/-R, 8x DVD+RW, 6x DVD-RW und 4x DVD+/-R DL, 40x CD-R and 32x CD-RW. According to this site (http://www.amug.org/amug-web/html/amug/reviews/articles/quad/) it can be flashed with Hitachi-LG DL04 firmware in order to write 3x DVD-RAM.

It is very likely that it is some other LG drive whose only name was changed in the firmware to be “fully supported by Apple’s Apps”. This is not unusual as Apple once before renamed the Pio 108 as Pio 117 in their earlier G5 powermacs.

For what it is worth this LG drive is “made in Japan”.

Hi,

this drive should be an excellent CD writer if used with TY CD-R media. I suspect, this is an OEM GSA-4165 with DVD-RAM support removed. In addition, the 4165 has the same hardware as the 4167, there are some users that went the crossflashing way :slight_smile:

Michael

Thanks much, guys!

If you are just burning TY disks, why do you care?

All burners are pretty top notch burning TY media.

Mine works just fine with all types of media.