I have today obtained from a UK highstreet retailer the GSA-4165 DVD/CD writer. Upon opening the package I was shocked: it contained only the bare
drive, and had neiher installation manual nor audio or IEDE cables nor any software that is supposed to come with the drive (Nero Express, Power DVD, Power Reader Gold, LG DVD writer solution).
As I was unsure how to proceed, I scanned the web whether I should proceed at all or return the good. I decided to go ahead and substitute the DVD writer for my existing CD reader. I inserted the drive , connected the cables in the back (and because no cables were delivered I had to disconnect the existing CDROM drive), and set it as master.
Upon restart, XPSP2 recognised the drive ok, and the following functionality now works:
- read data from a CD
- write data to a CD
- read the files from a DVD
However, the following functionality does not work (all or some of which, so I assume, are connected to me not having received any software/firmware to go with the drive:
- does not write data to the DVD (Nero (5.3) does not seem to recognise the drive as a dvd drive)
- does not play a DVD movie (both Windows Media Player and Realplayer say that codecs are not installed)
- does not produce any sound with either DVDs or Audio CDs
- I cannot change the region code in the properties tab of the drive. So the region tab shows “non selected” and prevents me from changing it because
apparently I have no authorisation to do so.
I contated LG, they said I probably bought an OEM version, which comes with neither cables or software and that I should upgrade my firmware from the LG website. I have done that but no change.
Any help? Is there any software I need to install before this works? Thanks Dirgi007