LG GSA-H62N - continuous "HD Light Activity"

<when my machine is “idle”> I suddenly discovered that my HD activity light has been constantly active - thinking that some app / service was suddenly beginning to “run all of the time”…

so I disabled as many apps / services as possible (A/V, diskeeper etc.) - but yet the HD light was still flashing <short bursts but regularly>.

with every disabled the “HD” activity continued - though i wouldn’t think or see how the new LG GSA-H62N that I recently installed could be the culprit for the HD controller activity - with nothing else left to try I disabled the LG in device manager and the light stopped flashing - so it was the drive after all.

This is the 1st SATA burner (my two HD’s are SATA) - I don’t see how / why - but is this normal (for a SATA burner to cause the HD activity light to become active at all times) ?

More details:

the drive is running <the newer> CL01-T0 firmware, unfortunately I don’t know if this was happening b4 the firmware update <I updated the drive as soon as I installed it, the drive works well - awesome Disc Quality scans using my BenQ 1640 scanning with CD-DVD Speed>

I have a 650i nForce based board , the SATA controller is set to IDE mode (for all drives - my two SATA hd’s and the 62N)

If anyone has any info on this (I’d like to get the HD light to stop flashing - even though it’s short bursts - since it now flashes all of the time with the new LG drive installed / active - I don’t know if an app is causing true HD activity - since it’s now always flashing - I like for the light to normally “not flash” at all when the PC is active - so I know something is up when it does flash <which it’s idle>.

Thanks for any info.

[QUOTE=mastercca;1961971]I have a 650i nForce based board , the SATA controller is set to IDE mode (for all drives - my two SATA hd’s and the 62N)[/QUOTE]I have an Asus P5B board with a H62L and one Seagate SATA HDD and no problems. Sounds like a bad flash to me? You can try flashing back to CL00. I believe C0deKing posted it in the firmware announcement thread > http://club.cdfreaks.com/1961130-post23.html It’s worth a try.

Edit:
I have had one pm with someone having the same problem but i have no idea if they RMA’d the drive or not.

thanks for the info.

by the way - just to be clear - I’m referring to the light on the PC case for all drive activity - not the light on the LG h62N itself.

i really don’t want to mess with it since it’s working so well but the cases hd light flashing all of the time is driving is irritating.

I’ll post if flashing back solves the issue - i hope with the stock firmware that i get just as good burns (Verbatim mcc004 at 16x, Sony d21 Great Value both +R).

[QUOTE=mastercca;1962213]thanks for the info.

by the way - just to be clear - I’m referring to the light on the PC case for all drive activity - not the light on the LG h62N itself.

i really don’t want to mess with it since it’s working so well but the cases hd light flashing all of the time is driving is irritating.

I’ll post if flashing back solves the issue - i hope with the stock firmware that i get just as good burns (Verbatim mcc004 at 16x, Sony d21 Great Value both +R).[/QUOTE]Yes i know your talking about the HDD activity led. Like i said i received a pm before this firmware was released but i never heard back from the person to know if they RMA’d the drive and it fixed the problem or if they kept it that way.

I have a LG H42N and a H62L and no HDD led activity here.

Weird problem you have.

thanks Rolling56 for the additional info.

i reverted back to the stock firmware - the hd light still always flashes

even though the flashing light is a nuisance, the drive works great (best i have tried since my Ben-Q 1640) so i won’t worry about the hd light

it may even be an issue with my board (MSI p6n Ultra 650i SLI) - the 62n is the only SATA burner that I have tried so far - so i can’t be 100% there’s a problem with the drive - like is said anyway it works great so I’ll just forget about it & see what happens when i get a 2nd SATA burner down the line

I’ll be sure to check back (with this forum) every so often in case anyone ever comes up with more info on this

I miss being a Litey owner - the forums were so active. :slight_smile:

even though the h62n is working ok - the light flashing it getting to me, with little out there on the net on this issue - i give up - tried everything (put it in another machine, diff MB - still flashed) - so it has to be the drive

at least it was only $29 , guess i’ll give it to a friend, check out the forums (CD Freaks) and get a drive that’s well supported / talked about in the forums this time around (instead of picking up a cheap drive on impulse at a local mega retailer).

looks like i need to check the Litey forums

The HD LED flashing could be an annoyance, but isn’t an issue. Even some NEC drives do that too. It’s a combination of motherboard chipset and drive firmware. I’d keep the 62N since it’s a nice drive, unless you want to get into the 20x burner arena.

Yeah, fully agree with KTL’s post. :clap:

Add in another manufacturer/mobo combo. Samsung drives do this with my mobo, Intel D101GGC [ATi Xpress 200]. I just tried my best to get used to it.

Occurs with my SH-S182M and my Sony DRU-840A [SH-202N], and even a super old Samsung DVD-ROM SD-612B from around 2000. No others drives do it just with this mobo.

[QUOTE=Albert;1966594]Add in another manufacturer/mobo combo. Samsung drives do this with my mobo, Intel D101GGC [ATi Xpress 200]. I just tried my best to get used to it.

Occurs with my SH-S182M and my Sony DRU-840A [SH-202N], and even a super old Samsung DVD-ROM SD-612B from around 2000. No others drives do it just with this mobo.[/QUOTE]

i have never seen this before with an IDE burner -

My P5E-WS and H62N combo is the same, the HD activity light flashes every second or so. The light does not bother me at all because my P182b has a front door which covers this light.

Question: Is there any real disk activity when this light is flashing (to the hard drive or any drive)?

[QUOTE=mis3;1987777]My P5E-WS and H62N combo is the same, the HD activity light flashes every second or so. The light does not bother me at all because my P182b has a front door which covers this light.

[B]Question: Is there any real disk activity when this light is flashing (to the hard drive or any drive)?[/B][/QUOTE]

Read or write activity on other connected drives, eg. HDD.

What is it trying to write while my system is idle?

The HD activity light does not flash continuously in my other PC, with IDE devices.

There is always activity on the bus.

I tried what the OP suggested. I disabled the LG H62N from the Device Manager and sure enough, the HDD activity stopped flashing.

[QUOTE=mis3;1988655]I tried what the OP suggested. I disabled the LG H62N from the Device Manager and sure enough, the HDD activity stopped flashing.[/QUOTE]

Same deal on this to this day - I’m ready to upgrade my motherboard and H62n as new burners are so cheap now (newer chip-sets should work better with SATA burners as well - to rid this false HD activity light issue).

Older NEC burners do the same thing. When the lite on the NEC burners flashes, so does the HDD lite.

[QUOTE=pfloyd1;2140027]Older NEC burners do the same thing. When the lite on the NEC burners flashes, so does the HDD lite.[/QUOTE]

actually that’s not the issue, the HD activity light constantly flashes, no matter if there’s activity or not (with the LG drive), if the drive is disabled in Device Mgr - then the HD light stops.

i’m about to upgrade to a motherboard with a P45 chip-set, picked up for around $25 a new Optiarc 7200-S - so finally I won’t have to see my HD activity light flash constantly (luckily in my Antec 900 case the light isn’t burnt out as of yet <running the LG SATA burner for nearly a year, ha>).

i wish I could have the chance to try the Optiarc with my current 680i NVidia based board, to see if the Optiarc SATA burner also causes the HD act light to constantly flash - then I’d FINALLY know if it’s the LG drive or the P6N Plat 680i board causing the issue - but I’m selling / swapping my current MB for the new Intel P45 based board which will go with the Optiarc - so I’ll never know what was up …

oh well, at leas the LG H62N did burn very well I have to say - no issues at 16X with a few types of media, great 8X double layer burns as well (all +R), though i’m disappointed there never was a firmware update for this drive (to keep up with new media) since this drive was released (LG disappointed in that area - I was used to Lite On and Ben-Q updates all of the time) - since I have been using a lot of older / good stockpiled media that hasn’t been an issue - it’s done well

(note: i did update to the firmware posted on the German LG site for the h62n, cl01_t0 , i’d suggest anyone with a h62n do the same, and the drive did cause the HD light to flash constantly before the cl01-t0 update)

p.s. pfloyd1 - R. Wright R.I.P, a major loss, way too early

Maybe the LG doesnt like to be on the same sata bus as you HDD.

[QUOTE=mastercca;2152466]
(note: i did update to the firmware posted on the German LG site for the h62n, cl01_t0 , i’d suggest anyone with a h62n do the same, and the drive did cause the HD light to flash constantly before the cl01-t0 update)
[/QUOTE]

One question: When you flashed your drive to CL01, the flash was OK? because when I flashed mine, the system hangs for some seconds (20-30)and then appears that it was successful. I have flashed my Optiarc drive in the same SATA port and I don’t have any problems.