LG GSA-H58*: Post scans and results here

Since I got an LG GSA-H58N drive today I’ll be testing it out a bit. My drive is bulk version shipped with fw 1.01, manufactured October 2007.

Verbatim MCC03RG20 @ 20X, New pacakge, made by Prodisc.

Eww, this doesn’t look good.

Verbatim MCC004 @ 20X, new pacakge, made in India.

This looks better, still not good though.

Miflop TYG03 @ 20X.

Nasty PIF spikes near the end

TDK YUDEN000T03 @ 20X.

Decent, but other writers do it better.

Unbranded TTH02 @18X, made by CMC.

No comments needed really.

What kind of burn times are you getting OC-Freak?

Emtec CMC.MAG.M01 @ 16X.

Not perfect either.

[QUOTE=steven2874;1985596]What kind of burn times are you getting OC-Freak?[/QUOTE]

Added write graphs to the two TY discs, writing times are +/- a few seconds off those for 20X speed.

Imation MBI.PG101.R05 @16X.

I’ve still seen better with this media, but the result is acceptable.

So far this seems to be a drive NOT to buy.

[QUOTE=OC-Freak;1985605]So far this seems to be a drive NOT to buy.[/QUOTE]

The scans look very much like the H-55N’s with the first firmware. With FW up-dates the drive has improved but still isn’t up there with the best 20X burners.

Sony16D1 @18X

And the horrors continue. Other drives can make perfect burns on this media at 18X

OC-Freak is this drive for a review? A sample?

Any chance for a transfer rate test on a nec drive?
I would like to see if the drive would slow down near the end of the disc.

[QUOTE=Bob;1985643]OC-Freak is this drive for a review? A sample?[/QUOTE]

Nope, I bought it myself.

[QUOTE=steven2874;1985622]The scans look very much like the H-55N’s with the first firmware. With FW up-dates the drive has improved [B]but still isn’t up there with the best 20X burners[/B].[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but I don´t think so, haven´t you looked at some of Burnsama´s H55N´s scans (esp. since newest firmware version) ?? -> Excellent jitter values with great quality scores mostly in the 95 - 98 range and it seemed to even gain further from lower burning speeds (4x, 6x, 8x)… or did i misread something ?? :confused:

[QUOTE=berky;1991634]Sorry, but I don´t think so, haven´t you looked at some of Burnsama´s H55N´s scans (esp. since newest firmware version) ?? -> Excellent jitter values with great quality scores mostly in the 95 - 98 range and it seemed to even gain further from lower burning speeds (4x, 6x, 8x)… or did i misread something ?? :confused:[/QUOTE]

My LG burns good at 12x or lower… but why sell it as an 20x writer then? :wink: I can understand media variances etc etc, but this drive just doesn’t handle 20x writing any good at all.

[QUOTE=OC-Freak;1991638]My LG burns good at 12x or lower… but why sell it as an 20x writer then? :wink: I can understand media variances etc etc, but this drive just doesn’t handle 20x writing any good at all.[/QUOTE]

I think that´s the same point some people made about the pio 112D - and nevertheless the Pio 112D is still regarded as one of the top 5 drives.
Personally I (as many others) prefer burning quality over speed, and the time I might gain with burning at 16x, 18x or 20x isn´t that significant to sacrifice readability of the burned media in the long term. :disagree:

[QUOTE=OC-Freak;1991638]My LG burns good at 12x or lower… but why sell it as an 20x writer then? :wink: I can understand media variances etc etc, but this drive just doesn’t handle 20x writing any good at all.[/QUOTE]

It’s just remember H55N with this first firmwares. The results using speeds above 16x are awful.

By the way the specs of H55* and H58* are almost identical. Anyone notice some difference ?