LG GSA-H55L nolonger regognized as a DVD writer

vbimport

Hello all,
I have seen similar topics to this but they were from 3 years ago and I wanted fresh help : )
I have a GSA-H55L dvd drive, and as of late it will read and write cd’s, read dvd’s, but no longer write them, infact it views any dvd’s i place in it as a cd, and display itself as a cd-writer during that time.

I have been able to write to dvd’s in the past, im not sure what has happend with this drive. I attempted to locate a firmware update from LG but none is listed for my model. Any assistance is appreciated.

[QUOTE=theotherandy;2516041]Hello all,
I have seen similar topics to this but they were from 3 years ago and I wanted fresh help : )
I have a GSA-H55L dvd drive, and as of late it will read and write cd’s, read dvd’s, but no longer write them, infact it views any dvd’s i place in it as a cd, and [B]display itself as a cd-writer during that time.[/B]

I have been able to write to dvd’s in the past, im not sure what has happend with this drive. I attempted to locate a firmware update from LG but none is listed for my model. Any assistance is appreciated.[/QUOTE]

You are fooled by windoozes exploDer, which gives useless info about the drive.

Look in devicemanager and then use a proper burning app to burn to DVD if you have windooze OS prior vista/w7 installed.

[QUOTE=chef;2516442]You are fooled by windoozes exploDer, which gives useless info about the drive.

Look in devicemanager and then use a proper burning app to burn to DVD if you have windooze OS prior vista/w7 installed.[/QUOTE]
I attempt to burn with nero and get the same effect

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Nero itself actually tells you the drive is a CD burner? Perhaps you could post a screenshot of any message or error that Nero is giving you, so we can see better what you mean.

Just to make sure, you are choosing DVD in the New Compilation window, and not CD?

Since the problem only occurs when burning to DVD R (or attempting to!) and not CD-R, have you tried different media brands?

That worked, i had the wrong selection. However I used to be able to burn by dragging and dropping in explorer, and It burned a dvd

That is packet writing and absolutely unrealiable…

[QUOTE=theotherandy;2516785]That worked, i had the wrong selection. However I used to be able to burn by dragging and dropping in explorer, and It burned a dvd[/QUOTE]

Glad it worked, it’s a little mistake I’ve made a few times in the past myself :wink:

As Chef mentions, the drag-and-drop thing in Windows Explorer is packet writing, and a lot of us won’t recommend it as packet writing can be unreliable (even using packet-writing software such as Nero InCD, Roxio Drag to Disc etc).

When I need to use a disc like a HDD and just drag stuff to it at my leisure, I use DVD-RAM discs. The discs themselves are a lot more reliable too. Your LG supports these so it may be worth giving them a go rather than packet-writing (or multi-session, which I find can often be equally problematic). :slight_smile: