LG Gsa-H55L - Best way to use in comp with SATA

About a month ago we got a new dvd/cd burner, the LG GSA-H55L. About 2 weeks after that, my husband kinda of screwed up 3 existing hard drives trying to put then in a different tower… :sad:

So he went out that night and got a dell tower at walmart(dimension E521). Probably not the best pc put there but better than my older one. This one has all serial ata plugs in it. But our Light scribe is an EIDE/ATAPI.

What would be the best way to be able to use this in our newer computer? there is one 4 pin power plug in the comuter but no place to put an ide.
Was thinking maybe try going the route of trying to make it an external one? Or I’m up for other ideas. there are 2 more SATA imputs in the board at the moment. Need something that he really cant screw up. lol

On the same level we have the 2 80g and a 20g hard drive left over… He just cant get them to recognise what on it or get windows to boot now. Wanted to wipe then with a maxblast or what have you and use them as extra. but again they are IDE and the new comp is pretty much only SATA.
Again I dont know if it would be best to get one of those extrernal cases and use it that way.

Hi and Welcome!

there are basically two options to install PATA (=IDE) drives into a SATA-only computer:
Option 1: Installing an add-on card
Option 2: Install the drives in external enclosures (either USB or IEEE1384)

Both options are good for harddisks, optical drives can be very picky about that. That said, I would prefer installing the DVD writer in an external enclosure.
For the harddisks, just use what you can get cheaper.

Michael

Alrighty, I figured external would be easier too. Theres only 1 more spot for a hdd anyway inside the computer.

I’m still trying to hold out on the idea he hopefully didnt completely wipe my hdd from my other computer with all my stuff on it… the other two I dont really care if they got wiped.

just one question what an IEEE1384??
Im also using vista, and its only about a week and a half old. would there be anything I need to look out for trying to use them if I do get them into external cases? Ive never used an external drive before(cd/dvd or hdd)

It’s actually IEEE 1394, which is known as Firewire.

Ah ok firewire… dont have those connections so usb it will be.

About a month ago we got a new dvd/cd burner, the LG GSA-H55L. About 2 weeks after that, my husband kinda of screwed up 3 existing hard drives trying to put then in a different tower… :sad:

So he went out that night and got a dell tower at walmart(dimension E521). Probably not the best pc put there but better than my older one. This one has all serial ata plugs in it. But our Light scribe is an EIDE/ATAPI.

What would be the best way to be able to use this in our newer computer? there is one 4 pin power plug in the comuter but no place to put an ide.
Was thinking maybe try going the route of trying to make it an external one? Or I’m up for other ideas. there are 2 more SATA imputs in the board at the moment. Need something that he really cant screw up. lol

On the same level we have the 2 80g and a 20g hard drive left over… He just cant get them to recognise what on it or get windows to boot now. Wanted to wipe then with a maxblast or what have you and use them as extra. but again they are IDE and the new comp is pretty much only SATA.
Again I dont know if it would be best to get one of those extrernal cases and use it that way.

Hi and Welcome!

there are basically two options to install PATA (=IDE) drives into a SATA-only computer:
Option 1: Installing an add-on card
Option 2: Install the drives in external enclosures (either USB or IEEE1384)

Both options are good for harddisks, optical drives can be very picky about that. That said, I would prefer installing the DVD writer in an external enclosure.
For the harddisks, just use what you can get cheaper.

Michael

Hi folks there is another option which is probably the easiest and probably gives your optical device the best connection to the computer.

Add-On cards can be a pain to configure in some cases and do not work with all devices.

The data transfer rates are slower when optical or harddrives are connected via external enclosures. (either USB or IEEE1384)

The easiest solution would be to use a Serial ATA to IDE Converter. You may have to buy a 3 dollar adapter so you have the correct power connection also. Have a look at this link, it will explain how to hook it up. This connection will save space in the computer and helps with airflow compared to the old ide ribbon cables.
http://sewelldirect.com/SerialATAtoIDEConverter.asp?adpath=/Google/Hard%20Drive%3EAccessories/Serial%20ATA%20to%20IDE%20Converter&keywords=serial%20ata%20to%20ide%20converter&match=1&search=search&gclid=CKTXluz0mI4CFQGoPgod_CCYUw

“Please note
Some DVD burner drives are not properly recognized when using this device. For optical drives it is recommended that a PCI IDE controller card be used instead of this adapter.”

Thats the only thing Im worried about… I dont have an extra PCI slot in my computer… Got one for the graphics, sound, and a usb card for extra ports. theres one spot left for something but it has a small connection onto the board and we;ve NO idea what it’s for.
We took out the unused modem card to put in the sound card.

Have any of you used one of these with the same cd/dvd burner I have?

Hi,

So I would stay clear of those adapters. Get an USB enclosure instead.

Thats the only thing Im worried about… I dont have an extra PCI slot in my computer… Got one for the graphics, sound, and a usb card for extra ports.
PCI or PCI express? Doesn’t matter anyway, if there aren’t any slots left.

theres one spot left for something but it has a small connection onto the board and we;ve NO idea what it’s for.
A look into the mainboard manual should help here. But I doubt, this connector is useful for connecting your drive.

Michael

Thanks for all your help :slight_smile:

Ah found my owners manual on my computer… seems its a “PCI express x1 connector” slot.

Such a connector can be used to install a PCI Express IDE Controller card. With the right model (please don’t ask me for recommendations), it would also be possible to install a PATA drive like your LG.

hmm really? thats good to know :slight_smile: Ill have to take a look around then. thanks ^___^

something like this?
http://www.chiefvalue.com/product--productdetails.cv-_item–16-124-007
"Internal native interface multiplexed to 2-port SATA II and 1-port PATA"

I have my LG GSA-H55N connected with the Serial ATA to IDE Converter from Sewell. No problems.

Thanks for that info :slight_smile:

Purchased one of the adpters and using it in the comp for the LG. No problems so far. Even worked with one of the hard drives.(wanted to see if all the info was still on it)

Sorry I have not responded before now… I have had my GSA H55N, H55L, H50N, Nec 7170a, Lite-On 20A1P, Sammy s182 an LG GSA H42 and an H44 all connected through a Serial to Ide converter and all worked perfectly the same as when connected via IDE channel.

The H55’s seemed to perform maybe even better…