LG GSA-H44N - doesn't erase and burn a CD

vbimport

Hello Friends,

I have this strange problem from a long time with the LG writer on a machine which runs Windows XP SP2 and Fedora Core 12.

a) DVD+/-R and DVD+RW work nicely
b) CD+/-R and CD-RW doesn’t work at all - no erase and no burn.

i)Current Software: BurnAware Free. (tried even Nero 7, ImgBurn and InfraRecorder).
ii) Firmware updated to RB02 recently but still no use!
iii) Tested on Linux with k3b but fails.

Please help on troubleshooting this problem.

Thank you.

Well …

If your drive doesn`t read CD-R too I might believe that the laser of PUH that read/erase/write CD-R/RW is damaged.

Most PUH ( pick up head ) uses two lasers, one for DVD and another to CD operations.

[QUOTE=zhadoom;2486461]

If your drive doesn`t read CD-R too I might believe that the laser of PUH that read/erase/write CD-R/RW is damaged.[/QUOTE]

This drive reads CDs without any problems but issue is with erase/writing/re-writing on a CD-R/CD-RW.

Strangely, another issue is, only in this XP account (restricted user) doesn’t allow:

a) Autorun of CD/DVD
b) Opening a CD/DVD by double clicking on drive icon from My Computer.
c) But I can access the CD content from the DOS mode from Run>Cmd

This works fine with the other restricted user accounts.

I am scratching my head about this weird drive on how to solve this problem assuming it’s not a Hardware failure! Any lead is highly appreciated.

Uncheck the “Enable CD recording on this drive” option in Recording Tab of the drive in “My Computer”. This option may lock th drive from another burn applications.

[QUOTE=zhadoom;2486620]Uncheck the “Enable CD recording on this drive” option in Recording Tab of the drive in “My Computer”. This option may lock th drive from another burn applications.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for responding. I’ve tried too but isn’t working :frowning:
Just wondering what else to test other than plucking out the drive and connecting to another PC…