LG GSA-H42N Slow CD Burns

[qanda]This thread is about the LG GSA-H42N. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi all ,
my problem is with a LG GSA H42N
it doesnt want to burn Audio CD’s over 8x , only gives me 2 options 4x-8x
if anyone doesnt remember how long it takes to burn a whole CD at 8x
its a eternity.
drive is suppose to burn at 48x for cds.
im using RL01(stock)firmware
ive tried using media code speed edit to change the writing speed on CD-r but theres no a option to do that , only dvds.
im looking for RL00 original firmware to flash it back to original but cant find that anywhere either.
although i have a feeling thats not going to help.
is the drive defective ? or is there a firmware tdb, buffalo etc… i can find to get it at its rated speeds.

Hi,

please check if DMA is enabled - what matters, that is the current transfer mode. It should be UDMA-2 or even UDMA-4 (don’t know exactly for this drive).

Additionally, please run Nero CD/DVD Speed, insert a blank disc and report the content of the Disc Info tab.

Michael

thanks for your reply,
the drive is actually at my uncles house in a computer i built for him so i cant scan a CD atm. i apologize bout that.
about DMA if its not enabled wont that cause DVD’s to screw up too?
because DVD’s burn just fine can burn up to 18x

also im thinking about crossflashing that drive to a h44n maybe that might help.

Hi,QUOTE=Treezy;2271634
about DMA if its not enabled wont that cause DVD’s to screw up too?
because DVD’s burn just fine can burn up to 18x [/quote]Okay. Then this is not a DMA issue.

also im thinking about crossflashing that drive to a h44n maybe that might help.
I don’t think this would help.

But I have another, much better idea :slight_smile: (After having polished my crystal ball again):
Try other media. Just ordinary “for data” CD-R.

it doesnt want to burn Audio CD’s over 8x , only gives me 2 options 4x-8x
Is this blank media with something like “CD-R for audio” on the packaging?
If so, then using these discs in a computer drive is a plain waste of money. Such media is designed for use in home entertainment recorders, and the high price is due to additional levies. Additionally, they are optimised for low speeds. Your drive just supports them at 4-8x. Nothing wrong then.

Michael

thats is a good idea i think you might be right.
they were some sony multi color CDRs almost positive they were cdr for audio i actually have som data cdrs i will bring over to see if that does any good. although i remember him saying that he used those same cds on another pc and they burnt super fast,
but its definitely worth a try
thanks again for your help will post back if it doesnt work out .

Hi,
The cd is burns slow system low confic, same cds on another pc and they burnt super fast, but its definitely working