LG Gsa-h22n stops reading after awhile

vbimport

Hello, Im sorry to bother you all but I’ve seem to have messed up my dvd drive after reinstalling windows xp. I have been wrestling with this problem for quite some time now and I tought that it’s time to turn to others as I don’t seem to get it fixed by myself. :sad:

The problem orginated as I reinstalled my xp where my drive was working fine. I assumed that it would work just as well on the new windows but now it just seems to read the disk occasionally and then lose it. I first noticed this problem while watching dvd as it became laggy and choppy. After cheking the web I realized that my drive was automatically set for PIO and not DMA as it should’ve been.

Well, I started fighting it (the vbs script didn’t work) and finally got my drive to use ultra dma mode 5. The funny thing is that now dvds play well but they are lost after awhile, as they wouldn’t play any longer. Also, I canno’t install anything from a dvd.

The difference between my old setup and now one is my hard drive which now has 1TB of space. I couldn’t set dvd to PIO mode because I didn’t have RAID drivers for my hard drive (I think) but MSI update cleared that for me.

Things I’ve already done several times:

1. Uninstall and reinstall lg firmware 1.02
  2. Uninstall Ide channels and let windows figure them out
  3. Removed jumper from DVD drive, later putted it back as master
  4. Deleted upper and lower class filters
  5. Tampered with registry
  6. Installed AnyDVD, which seems to be a little bit of help
  7. Deleted pxhelp20
  8. Checked for MSI updates thru live update

Specs:

HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H22N SCSI cdrom device
Device Upper filters: redbook
Device Lower filters: imapi
Class Upper and Lower filters: none

Somehow this is in Primary IDE Channel even tough most of the posts on the web talked only about secondary ide channels.

The windows I installed is SP3 and all the hotfixes I found were too old for it, so it should be up to date. I was wondering if there’s a way to completely remove any information concerning my dvd drive and reinstall it from blank?

If anyone has anyideas how to fix this, I would be grateful. Thanks for your time for reading about my problems.

what is your setup like?

Windows Xp SP 3
Intel Dual Core 6400 @ 2.13GHz
3,25 GB RAM (4 GB inside but 32-bit supports only 3,25)
NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GT with 182.50 drivers
HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H22N SCSI cdrom device

If you need any more specs just tell me.

is the drive on the motherboard’s ide bridge or an extended bridge?

The drive is directly attached to my mainboard with an IDE cable (don’t know if it’s 40 or 80 but it worked before like a charm so I doubt that it’s to be blamed here)

Im not quite sure if this is the ide bridge that you were talking about but I think so. At least there isn’t anything between the drive and motherboard.

Here’s sisoft sandras info about my drive:

<a href=“http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/1884/driveinfo.jpg”></a>

Ok, little update here:

I tested my drive by installing 8 cd’s worth of games and they all worked perfectly. When I came to installing from dvd it didn’t work. The drive just couldn’t read dvds at all or stuttered awhile and then stopped working with them.

so, is the problem that the drive disconnects itself and not visible at in the my computer or is it that the drive stops reading a disc after resting a while. if you can read cd’s and not dvd’s, your drive might be failing. you can probably send it for warrenty since h22 is a newer model.

Also I have an lg drive that stops reading after a while. I narrowed it down to a bad capacitor but wasn’t worth fixing as drives are quite cheap these days.

The problem is that the drive stops reading disc after reading it awhile (It shows up and acts normally but fails in 2min or so) and this gives me an error during installation. Drive doesn’t vanish or anything like that. It might still have warranty left, but Im just astonished at the timing that drive decided to stop working as it worked perfectly well before reinstalling windows.

Thanks for your help so far, I’ll look into the warranty if I could get it replaced.

It seems that the warranty has expired. If anyone could still be of assistance I would appreciate it greatly.

get a drive from someone else and see if it has the same problem. if it doesn’t then you can be sure that the drive is bad. if it is bad, get a pioneer 116/117 they are pretty reliable drives and last longer.