LG GSA-H20L : DL media not recognized

vbimport

Hi, I have an LG GSA-H20L Double Layer/Lightscribe.
Unfortunately it doesn’t seem to recognize DL media.
For example, when I use Nero and click Disc Info, it says “No disc inserted or drive not ready”, but when I insert say, DVD-/+R, it works fine.
Other burning software fails to read them also :confused:
I have LG’s Auto FirmwareUpdate running and so my drivers are up-to-date. Running XP SP2 if that is any help.
What can I do? I really want to write to DL media mainly for longish home-made movies.
Media tried: Verbatim DVD-R DL 2X-4X. Haven’t tried the plus version yet, but the drive doc says it accepts both formats. Arrgghh! Any ideas? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks. :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=jase22_au;2063054]Hi, I have an LG GSA-H20L Double Layer/Lightscribe.
Unfortunately it doesn’t seem to recognize DL media.

Media tried: [B]Verbatim DVD-R DL 2X-4X[/B]. Haven’t tried the plus version yet, but the drive doc says it accepts both formats. Arrgghh! Any ideas? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks. :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Startup Imgburn, insert the disc, wait a few seconds, then post the disc info here. :wink:

Hi chef, thanks for making that suggestion.
I have downloaded Imgburn, but couldn’t get it to give me disc info. However, I have a log file which I’ve attempted to attach to this message, but the Browse (file) button isn’t working for some reason on this site, so I just pasted the text below. Doesn’t say much, and I’m getting the message “[B]Device not ready (Medium not present)[/B]”; similar to what Nero said. The drive attempts to read it like it should, but after a few seconds it stops and nothing happens. :doh:

From the LOG:

16:49:50 ImgBurn Version 2.4.1.0 started!
16:49:50 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)
16:49:50 Total Physical Memory: 1,048,048 KB - Available: 449,708 KB
16:49:50 Drive D:\ (FAT32) does not support single files > 4 GB in size.
16:49:50 Drive J:\ (FAT32) does not support single files > 4 GB in size.
16:49:50 Drive K:\ (FAT32) does not support single files > 4 GB in size.
16:49:50 Initialising SPTI…
16:49:50 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices…
16:49:50 Found 1 DVD±RW/RAM!

Hi,

could you please post more info about the media?
Eg Made in ?? …

sure…

Verbatim DVD-R DL, single-sided, 8.5GB, Advanced AZO… Made in Singapore. I have been using other Verbatim media for a few years without any hassle until I decided to try DL DVD on my DL burner. I have heard Verbatim is very good quality brand.

Unbelievable…

I tried installing “DVD Identifier” after reading someone else’s post, and IT also gave me the error…

[21:56:59] Waiting for drive to initialize disc…
[21:57:25] ERROR : Unable to initialize disc in time : Not ready - Medium not present [02/3A/00]

HELP!!! :sad:

Hmm, I wonder if I should try a DVD+DL instead and see what happens ? … it won’t break the bank. Pity though, I have 2 brand spankin new DVD-DL that I can’t seem to use!

I got same drive LG GSA-H20L and now I can say that this drive does not support DVD-R DL format even if it is marketed as “able to burn all dvd/dl formats” and most programs flag it as able to burn it. If you check the drive with DVD Decrypter it has flag on everything else but DVD-R DL (only program that finds this).

But today I bought some Verbatim DVD+R DL and it only reads it as normal DVD+R (where as -R DL would freeze completely).

HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H20L 1.02 (ATA)
Current Profile: DVD+R

Disc Information:
Erasable: No
Free Sectors: 2 228 225
Free Space: 4 563 404 800 bytes
Free Time: 495:11:50 (MM:SS:FF)

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):
Book Type: DVD-ROM
Part Version: 0
Disc Size: 120mm
Maximum Read Rate: 2.52Mbps
Number of Layers: 1
Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)
Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit
Track Density: 0.74 um/track
First Physical Sector of Data Area: 0
Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 0
Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

[QUOTE=Lunki;2066448]I got same drive LG GSA-H20L and now I can say that this drive does not support DVD-R DL format even if it is marketed as “able to burn all dvd/dl formats” and most programs flag it as able to burn it. If you check the drive with DVD Decrypter it has flag on everything else but DVD-R DL (only program that finds this).

But today I bought some Verbatim DVD+R DL and it only reads it as normal DVD+R (where as -R DL would freeze completely).[/QUOTE]

Great! So LG ripped us off :frowning: I’m very disappointed now!
Thanks for your feedback though, appreciate it. I will keep that in mind.

[QUOTE=Lunki;2066448]I got same drive LG GSA-H20L and now I can say that this drive does not support DVD-R DL format even if it is marketed as “able to burn all dvd/dl formats” and most programs flag it as able to burn it. If you check the drive with DVD Decrypter it has flag on everything else but DVD-R DL (only program that finds this).

But today I bought some Verbatim DVD+R DL and it only reads it as normal DVD+R (where as -R DL would freeze completely).

HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H20L 1.02 (ATA)
[B]Current Profile: DVD+R[/B]

Disc Information:
Erasable: No
Free Sectors: 2 228 225
Free Space: 4 563 404 800 bytes
Free Time: 495:11:50 (MM:SS:FF)

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):
[B]Book Type: DVD-ROM[/B]
Part Version: 0
Disc Size: 120mm
Maximum Read Rate: 2.52Mbps
Number of Layers: 1
Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)
Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit
Track Density: 0.74 um/track
First Physical Sector of Data Area: 0
Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 0
Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0[/QUOTE]

Surely you have a problem with crappy incd, daemon tools or Alcohol installed.

[QUOTE=jase22_au;2066919]Great! So LG ripped us off :frowning: I’m very disappointed now!
Thanks for your feedback though, appreciate it. I will keep that in mind.[/QUOTE]

First, what is the MID of your DL media? Are they rated 2x or 8x???

[QUOTE=chef;2066957]First, what is the MID of your DL media? Are they rated 2x or 8x???[/QUOTE]

It says 2x-4X

Other DL media does work for you?

[QUOTE=chef;2066983]Other DL media does work for you?[/QUOTE]

No, all I have is Verbatim DVD-R DL. Haven’t tried anything else, in fact, quite reluctant to spend money on different media, unless I hear something promising from somebody on here, which is why I am on this site - for advice and feedback.

If Verbatim DVD+R DL wont work, its probably your drive.
If they work, what I suspect, your drive only has problems with DVD-R DL…

Yep, it’s my drive. Recently tried a DVD+DL and it also failed just like the DVD-DL. Thumbs down to LG.

Apart from this DL burning issue, I’m happy with the drive otherwise as I bought it mainly for the ‘Lightscribe’ feature, which works quite well.

I am thinking about buying an additional unit (better brand), purely for reliable Dual Layer burning! Any ideas on which ones work well??

Cheers

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f107/best-burner-dvd-r-dl-224557/