LG GSA-H20L as replacement drive for Toshiba D-R2 DVD recorder?

vbimport

Hello All,

First, if this is not the correct area for this post please tell me accordingly. If moved to another area please tell me where. Thanks!!!

I have a Toshiba DVD Video Recorder D-R2. The model No. located on the back of the unit says “D-R2SU”. Not sure where the SU comes from??? The DVD burner inside this unit is model SD-W3002. Some of the information I have come across on the internet suggest it’s manufactured by Samsung. Yet, a search on the Samsung website did not reveal anything.

I have however come across a URL where one gentleman details how he swapped out burners on his Toshiba RD-XS32 HDD-DVD Recorder. This model is essentially just like my unit except it has a hard drive inside, is set to region 2 and is 220 volts. Other than that we have identical looking machines. This person posted his instructions at:

http://www.esbuilder.com/rdxs32/rdxs32-replace-dvd.htm

As can be seen in this example, his burner is being swapped out with the LG GSA-H10N DVD burner. At the conclusion of these instructions in STEP 5 it is said:

"As pointed out on the AVS forums this drive won’t play unfinalized disks. For me this isn’t an issue as I collate what I want to burn in advance and then create and finalise the disk in one go. If playing unfinalised disks is important to you the suggested alternative drive is the HP DVD840 (which is actually an LG GSA-H20L).

As mentioned by Eric Wilson (Memphis) the replacement drive won’t play audio CDs. Thanks Eric."

I purchased the “GSA-H20L”, NOT because watching unfinalized disks was important to me but rather because it was the only unit between the two described in the instructions that I could find. In any case, my unit is described as being a Hitachi/LG brand. It is stamped as being manufactured in January of 2007. The model is stated as being GSA-H20L.

Please refer to attached pics.

On the burner of my GSA-H20L the firmware version is stamped as well. It is S853. I can go into setup on my DVD recorder and see this number as well so it’s confirmed. The Toshiba firmware for my broken burner model SD-W3002 has two releases. These being DVD 1314 and DVD 1416. The one I was using was 1314.

Firmware updates for my D-R2 with original burner can be found at:

My unit can also be found by visiting:

and typing in the correct model number.

I have removed the broken SD-W3002 burner and replaced it with the GSA-H20L. No firmware updates were applied. As it stands, the GSA-H20L can play region 1 DVD’s. When a region 2 PAL DVD is inserted The following statement comes on the television screen: “This is a PAL Disk. It cannot be played on this set”. I can also play store bought MUSIC CD’s in this recorder as well!!! Thus, leading me to believe that the statement above “As mentioned by Eric Wilson (Memphis) the replacement drive won’t play audio CDs”, is refering rather to the LG GSA-H10N and NOT the GSA-H20L which I used in my replacement.

Here is what I need help with. When I insert a blank TDK, HP, Maxwell or Verbatim DVD-R disk into my DVD recorder I get the following message:

“A blank DVD-R is loaded.”

However, when I try to record a television program I get:

“Recording failed. DVD disk might be dirty”

QUESTION:

1. Should I try to upgrade my DVD burner (GSA-H20L) with firmware provided by HP for the model HP DVD 840? If so, how do I know which version to use? I visited"

http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Lookup?h_lang=en&h_cc=us&c … mit=Go+%BB

And 4 different versions exist.

1. Or should I try to load the Toshiba firmware onto my GSA-H20L?

2. Or should I use LG’s firmware and which one?

Would anyone happen to have any good strong, solid advice to offer???

Thank You very much.

Hi and Welcome!

the drive you bought is an OEM drive (made for HP). The OEM firmware is often causing different behaviour than the firmware of the retail versions (Example: lack of DVD-RAM support etc.). I’d go for the latest retail firmware from LG. Please check the LG burners forum for instructions on crossflashing the H20L.
For firmware, have a look at this thread: http://club.myce.com/f91/post-new-firmware-tool-announcements-here-210819/

1. Or should I try to load the Toshiba firmware onto my GSA-H20L?
    No, unless this firmware is made exactly for this drive.
  1. Should I try to upgrade my DVD burner (GSA-H20L) with firmware provided by HP for the model HP DVD 840?
    Only if you want to kill your drive. HP 840 is a GWA-4164 which is a crippled GSA-4166.

Michael

Michael,

Thanks for the welcome! Glad to be hear and learn!!!

Can You explain to me what means “Cross Flashing”??? I guess it has to deal with taking f/w of one unit and flashing it to another similar and compatible unit?

Also, what were the signs/clues that told you my burner is original OEM.?

I’m asking this cause I’m confused. If you look the pics I have attached the f/w version listed on the burner is the same as that listed on the HP site. But your telling me to use LG f/w. Thus the confusion? Especially sine the f/w on LG’s website is different from that stated on my burner…

Thanks for your help and assistance. I look forward to your reply!!!

Hi,[QUOTE=suomalainen;2474800]
Can You explain to me what means “Cross Flashing”??? I guess it has to deal with taking f/w of one unit and flashing it to another similar and compatible unit?[/quote]You got it correctly :slight_smile: But the hardware must be identical, not only similar.
Very often, this process is tricky (or even impossible) since the firmware flash software checks the firmware on the drive and will refuse to work if not all parameters match the expected values. This check must be overridden somehow in order to flash a firmware version which is not intended by the vendor onto the drive.

Also, what were the signs/clues that told you my burner is original OEM.?
The firmware version on your drive matches the version from HP website.
The retail version of that drive has a different version number. So, the drive you bought has custom firmware made for HP.

A drive with OEM firmware (like yours) might behave different than the same drive hardware with retail firmware.
That’s why I suggested to try the LG retail firmware on that drive instead of the (normally crippled) HP OEM version.

Michael

Hi Michael,

If I understand correctly, You would like that I go to:

And download the file "GSA-H20L 102 (EW).zip and flash this firmware to my burner?

Am I correct?

Thanks again!

Hi,[QUOTE=suomalainen;2475063]
If I understand correctly, You would like that I go to:
(…) And download the file "GSA-H20L 102 (EW).zip and flash this firmware to my burner?[/QUOTE]Exactly. The problem will be that the flasher will fail to install the retail firmware onto your HP OEM drive.
To overcome this restriction (or security mechanism, just a matter of taste), please search the LG forum if there are instructions about crossflashing an H20N or H20L OEM drive to retail firmware.

Michael

Michael,

The link I just noted above for LG was visited last night and I was able to flash this firmware version onto my GSA-H20L.

If you need a detailed account how it was done I can tell you.

In anycase, this “upgrade” to f/w ver 1.02 performed exactly the same as the OEM HP f/w.

I still cannot burn DVD’s. I can play them and watch them but that’s all. If a PAL DVD is installed the recorder reports so and tells you no can do…

If you think I’m proceeding forward correctly what else could I try?

Thanks again for your support. It’s very much appreciated.

Hi,[QUOTE=suomalainen;2475081]

The link I just noted above for LG was visited last night and I was able to flash this firmware version onto my GSA-H20L.

If you need a detailed account how it was done I can tell you.[/quote]Fine.:slight_smile: A “howto” is not needed in this thread, but feel free to do so if you like.

In anycase, this “upgrade” to f/w ver 1.02 performed exactly the same as the OEM HP f/w.

I still cannot burn DVD’s. I can play them and watch them but that’s all. If a PAL DVD is installed the recorder reports so and tells you no can do…

If you think I’m proceeding forward correctly what else could I try?
Have you tried the drive with your computer in order to rule out there is something wrong with the unit?
Also compare the jumper settings of your old drive with those of the new one. Perhaps the jumper needs to be set to CS or something like that.

Thanks again for your support. It’s very much appreciated.
You’re welcome :slight_smile: Unfortunately, I am at the end of my knowledge.
If you like, I can move this thread to “Standalone Players” section, perhaps with a more descriptive title.

Michael

mciahel,

Sure, please feel to move this thread. What sort of title do you have in mind?

Thanks again.

[QUOTE=suomalainen;2475126]
Sure, please feel to move this thread.[/quote]Done. :slight_smile:

What sort of title do you have in mind?
“LG GSA-H20L as replacement drive for Toshiba D-R2 DVD recorder?” :smiley:

Michael