LG GSA-H10L Scan

There doesn’t seem to be a lot of information about this LG GSA-H10L Drive. It is an internal drive that boast some specs beyond what I have seen with current drives. Those specs being 12X DVD-RAM, 10X DVD+R/DL and 6X-R/DL. Bitsetting is supported for DVD+R, DVD+RW and DVD+R/DL. This drive also has LightScribe. I saw this in a Best Buy and looking at the specs I thought I would get one and check it out. The disk that was scanned here is a Verbatim LightScribe DVD+R burned at 12X with the drive firmware LL10. Initial 16X burn had more jitter. I am still not happy with the jitter at 12X. As you will notice I did this Disk Quality scan on my BenQ 1640, as LG does not support Disk Quality Scanning.

If you have the Prodisc version, you might want to consider looking for the CMC variation. There are a number of threads that show the difference. I have found that the MCC 004 from CMC was much better in all my drives, yielding a true 16X burn on my LG 4166 (I know it’s not a true LG) with scans that looked like 8X burns.

for some unknown reason, the H10L has better DVD-RAM and DL burning speeds than the H20L :frowning:

Hmm… never heard of this model before. Judging from the high jitter, I suspect this model might be using a chipset from Renesas. The H10A and H10N both use Renesas chipsets and display the same high jitter. With those two drives, scans with a BenQ writer may look quite awful, but the same discs when scanned with Lite-On writers look pretty good. The discs themselves seem to playback fine as well. So you may not be able to trust BenQ scans of discs burned with this writer.

The way to confirm that this is a Renesas chipset model (without opening the drive up) is to do an 8x and a 16x burn using Nero CD Speed’s create disc function, then observe the graph created. Renesas chipset writers have 8x burns which start at 6x then jump up suddenly to 8x (Z-CLV). 16x burns show a very distinct P-CAV graph and are about 5:30.
In contrast, Pansonic chipset writers produce Z-CLV graphs that start at 4x, then jump to 8x. Also, they burn 16x discs using CAV, so the graph produced is very different.

If the H20L burns DL discs like the 4166B (possible because both use Panasonic chipsets) does, with an 8x DL burn, the second layer is only burned at 4x for some odd reason. So any writer which burns the second layer at 8x would be faster.

As for why DVD-RAM burning speeds are better than the H20L, it’s pretty obvious : the H20L only does DVD-RAM discs at 5x.

I still have the opportunity to return this LG. As that is the case, would there be something with DVD-RAM, Bitsetting and LightScribe that I should consider instead?

Hmm… I’m not sure, but have you checked whether this drive supports DVD+RW bitsetting?

The default booktype on DVD+R, DVD+RW and DVD+R/DL is DVD-ROM. They can be changed as well.

I was wondering why the H10A/N/L (Renesas) have better specifications despite the larger number “20” in the H20N/L (Panasonic) :disagree:

I got to say thanks my 46b’s all show hight jitter on a 1655 but all play fine,I will will scan with a litie.
Bruce

I will be interested in your results Bruce.

Perhaps it’s just like the way TSST divides their product lines: TSST Korea (Samsung) and TSST Japan (Toshiba). Thus, often later model number products have lower specifications.

Verbatim 16x +R
MCC004 @16x

Verbatim -R 16x
MCC03RG20 @16x

Thanks 2601. Looks like a Renesas chipset drive alright.

Darth Boy : H20N? Another new model?

A bit confused here. What is a 46b?

Why don’t these Light-On scans show the jitter?

CD-DVD Speed doesn’t show jitter with LiteOn scans. There is new scanning software from LiteOn (“New toy” thread in the LiteOn forum ;)), that will show jitter, I believe.

Yes, you are right.
It’s a beta version and its name is DVDScan. :slight_smile:

Sorry ment 4166b’s, as compared to H10ls
Bruce