LG GSA-H10A noisy, modify firmware?

:eek: The disc spinning noise when XP boots up is driving me crazy. :eek:

Is it possible to modify the LG firmware so the SpinDown Time is lowered permanently? (its set to about 2 minutes by default)

Is there an LG utility that can modify various settings?

I have already tried Nero DriveSpeed, and yes it works, but it doesn’t save the settings upon reboot. So when XP boots, I have to wait for the DriveSpeed icon to show up, so I can change the spindown time back to 4 seconds. :confused:

Firmware = JL04
Drive = LG GSA-H10A

Thanks in advance.

b
u
m
p

As far as I know, there is no utility to modify the spin down time of any LG writer.

One thing I don’t understand though : if the spin down time drives you insane, why leave a disc in the drive during bootup at all?

Because I use apps that require the CD inserted, and its annoying to remove/insert the cd’s all the time.

Hm… My LG GSA-E60L doesn’t react to Nero DriveSpeed commands AT ALL. I can set any read speed, it always goes at maximum. The only button that works in DriveSpeed is the STOP button…
Help me :frowning:

Ive given up and bought a Pioneer SATA DVD-RW drive, which is much quieter and spins down much faster than the LG.

Not buying an LG again. :Z

[QUOTE=Anarchi;1984314]Ive given up and bought a Pioneer SATA DVD-RW drive, which is much quieter and spins down much faster than the LG.

[B]Not buying an LG again.[/B] :Z[/QUOTE]

No really useful comment.
LG and Pioneer both make great burners thse days.

Yeah, great. And you know why I bought this LG? Because I trust the company and my Lite-on (SOHW-1693S) refused to burn any single DVD more (maybe just needs lens cleaning? But it could never burn a DVD-RW correctly!)

But really, LG drives are great, but this external DVD burner I have simply ignores all my attempts to lower the disc read speed… And I’d appreciate ANY tool or firmware mod that would help.

Dont get me wrong, the LG performed well. It was just too noisy for me and didnt work well with Nero Drivespeed. Considering manufacturers often use the same drive mechanics and firmware settings for their newer drives, future LG’s may also have the same noise and drivespeed compatibility problem.

Basically if I could mod the firmware so the LG spins down in 5 seconds instead of 2 minutes, I wouldnt have a problem with it.

[QUOTE=ikari87;1985058]Yeah, great. And you know why I bought this LG? [B]Because I trust the company[/B] and my Lite-on (SOHW-1693S) refused to burn any single DVD more (maybe just needs lens cleaning? But it could never burn a DVD-RW correctly!)

But really, LG drives are great, but this external DVD burner I have simply ignores all my attempts to lower the disc read speed… And I’d appreciate ANY tool or firmware mod that would help.[/QUOTE]

???
Just contact LG and ask them.

Your problem is that you have bought an EXTERNAL burner, surely connected via usb…

Anarchi, y dun u just use daemon tool instead?
:wink:

[QUOTE=super macgyver;1985566]Anarchi, y dun u just use daemon tool instead?
;)[/QUOTE]

Because it gets detected by the copy protection in some games.

I only use the LG if the Pioneer is already in use, so its all good.