LG GSA-H10A Burning and firmware update problems

Hi there,

First off, love your forums guys. :bow: Used alot of info from your collective minds in the past few years, but I’ve never really had to post since everything is pretty much answered already.

Anyway, my first post, here goes :frowning: (Dont eat me if I’m just being a tard/this has been answered 5 million times, I’ve looked alot!! Really!!)

Righty, I’ve had my GSA-H10A for about 2 months now. Everything seemed fine with it, drive opens and shuts, ya know the usual good signs. Only thing is every time I try and burn a CD or DVD, I get the same I/O error:

(Taken from DVD Decrypter Error Log)

I/O Error!

ScsiStatus: 0x02
Interpretation: Check Condition

CDB: 2A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 20 00
Interpretation: Write (10) - Sectors: 0 - 31

Sense Area 70 00 04 00 00 00 00 10 00 00 00 0E 08 03 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Interpretation: Logical Unit Communication CRC Error (ULTRA-DMA/32)

It reads everything fine, just refuses to burn anything, cd’s or dvd’s

Well first thing I did was try to update the firmware, hoping for a quick fix, but everytime I do, I get an error aswell (with both the LG firmware and TDB):

Updating was failed. Please repeat that. (Error data = 70 00 04 00 00 00 00 10 60 58 22 00

It’s been 2 months now and I’ve kinda been putting this off…but no longer!! I’ve double checked it’s connected properly, could it be something stupid like the jumper settings etc?? Alas I work on common sense and hardly any PC knowledge so I’m stumped!

Any help or ideas would be great, many thanks,

Nige

make sure jumper settings are correct, and check the cable maybe it needs replacing.

Check to be on secondary master.

Try to eliminate all possible causes :

[list=i]
[li]connect the drive as a lone device on the secondary IDE channel (if you have 2 ide channels) and jumper it as master - some drive combinations cause odd conflicts with writers
[/li][li]change the IDE cable and use a new one - just in case the old one is faulty
[/li][li]boot in safe mode and then do the flash - in case you have some software running in the background interfering with the flashing process
[/li][/list]
If this still does not cure your problems, then try the drive on another system.

Hey guys, thanks for the help.

Been away for a week so I’ve only just got to trying different things. First off I tried changing the IDE cable, still doesnt burn. I’ve tried flashing in safe mode too and I still get the same error.

As for the jumper and drive settings, currently it’s set to IDE 4 - Master
I have 3 SATA HD’s installed atm, which come up as IDE 1,2 and 3 Master and that’s about it.
Never really got why SATA drives come up as IDE but ho-hum.

Is there anything I’m missing here?

Thanks again,

Nige

Sense Area 70 00 04 00 00 00 00 10 00 00 00 0E 08 03 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Interpretation: Logical Unit Communication CRC Error (ULTRA-DMA/32)

This error mean that either the cable, drive, or IDE controller is bad.

The most usual cause is the use of 40 conductor IDE cables which are totally inadequate for UDMA. The use of flat 80 conductor IDE cables is the only way to go, ideally the drive should be the master, on it’s own, and attached at the far end of the cable.

The error from the flasher is also indicative of data not being sent correctly.

If it’s not the cable, then either the drive is defective, or the IDE controller is defective. You could check the drive in a different system, or using an USB-IDE adapter.

IDE = Integrated Drive Electronics (ie contains it’s own controller, not an external card with ST-506 cables, never mind you’re probably too young…)

PATA - Parallel ATA
SATA - Serial ATA

Brother Vlad

Ah great, I’ll go grab a 80 conductor IDE cable tomorrow. I just used the flat IDE cables that came with my mobo, didn’t get any with the drive since it was OEM, my bad there.

While I’m here, I might as well ask if this cable: http://svp.co.uk/products-solo.php?pid=1247 will be ok. I have a bit of a space problem in my PC as the SATA ports are right in front of the IDE slot on my mobo. With a flat ribbon style IDE cable, it puts pressure on the SATA cables that are slotted in which would be good to stop, look like this cable could do the trick.

Anyway, hopefully this will sort it out! I’ll try the drive on another system tomorrow just to see though,

Thanks again

Nige

Those rounded cables will be ok as long as they are 40pin/80 wire.