LG GSA-E4OL multi burner won't recognise anything apart from DVDs

vbimport

Hi everyone, I’ll keep this concise.

my system is an Acer Travelmate 2700, running Win XP home, normal everyday setup, no mods.

i have an LG GSA-E40L external DVD-RAM multi burner.

It works fine with DVD movies, but try it with anything else (CD media of any kind, blank DVD-R etc) and it doesn’t work. Windows recognises it as a “CD Drive” rather than a DVD-RAM drive when I use any of the offending media.

Tried it with several different programs, Nero 7, NTI, Media Player, you name it. Nothing.

I bought it new about a year ago, and it was behaving itself until recently, worked fine. I have no idea what happened. I don’t have Alcohol or Daemon or anything, no virtual drive issues, the drivers and the firmware are up to date.

Help. :confused:

[QUOTE=CletusAwreetus;2069874]Hi everyone, I’ll keep this concise.

my system is an Acer Travelmate 2700, running Win XP home, normal everyday setup, no mods.

i have an LG GSA-E40L external DVD-RAM multi burner.

It works fine with DVD movies, but try it with anything else (CD media of any kind, blank DVD-R etc) and it doesn’t work. [B]Windows recognises it as a “CD Drive” rather than a DVD-RAM drive[/B] when I use any of the offending media.

Tried it with several different programs, Nero 7, NTI, Media Player, you name it. Nothing.

I bought it new about a year ago, and it was behaving itself until recently, worked fine. I have no idea what happened. I don’t have Alcohol or Daemon or anything, no virtual drive issues, the drivers and the firmware are up to date.

Help. :confused:[/QUOTE]

Normal.
Install new usb drivers if you can find some.

New usb drivers? To what? He said he has the latest drivers and firmware for his external. There aren’t any new usb drivers, (correct me if I’m wrong) the usb drivers for windows won’t be updated, it’s a plug and play interface. Considering that he has win xp home he should have usb 2.0 on it. The only thing that he can do is try to look for other firmware or call and talk to a customer service rep at LG or roll back windows to see if there is a date you can find that will restore something that might have taken away features or reinstall windows or…buy a new one. I’ve always found at least with all the people I know external anything doesn’t last long as internal because of the wear and tear it can go through.

[QUOTE=vgk1nka1dx;2071253]New usb drivers? To what? He said he has the latest drivers and firmware for his external. There aren’t any new usb drivers, (correct me if I’m wrong) the usb drivers for windows won’t be updated, it’s a plug and play interface. Considering that he has win xp home he should have usb 2.0 on it. The only thing that he can do is try to look for other firmware or call and talk to a customer service rep at LG or roll back windows to see if there is a date you can find that will restore something that might have taken away features or reinstall windows or…buy a new one. I’ve always found at least with all the people I know external anything doesn’t last long as internal because of the wear and tear it can go through.[/QUOTE]

New usb drivers from the MOBO manufacturer!